1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sams coming back.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Oct 20, 2016.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Its in today's Sun so it must be true.

When the Chinese take over the club their bringing big Sam back as manager.

Doesn't say when this is happening but I suppose its something to look forward too, or could it just be all made up to sell newspapers, I'll let you all make your own minds up on that one.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I thought they'd pulled out over the price.

3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

4. Billy Death

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

There's no chance that anyone could know what the consortium would do, the papers won't even have a clue who's in the damn thing.

If I'm being honest though, while it would be messy for a while, a new owner willing to spend big and Allardyce back in charge would be our best chance to progress. It would also leave a bad taste in many people's mouths unfortunately.

Nads and Makemstine Roger like this.
  6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Sounds to me like Monty's been on to The Sun.

Makemstine Roger and Nordic like this.
  7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Ah but that was in the Sun....

Oh.... Hang on!

Makemstine Roger and Billy Death like this.
  9. Billy Death

Exactly.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I think much the same

11. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Agreed - although I'm not sure that a Allardyce back in charge would be the best way - If Allardyce was back here tomorrow, we'd still have loads of injuries including 5 or 6 who would play ahead of most of the current available first team (Definitely Cattermole, Kirchhoff, Van Aanholt and Borini - probably Larsson too) - That's a big hole in a small squad (similar size of squad to what Leicester had last season but they suffered no injuries almost all season and won the league!)

Injuries IMO have been our biggest problem. You can say Moyes should've spent in the Summer - Marco Gabbiadini said that we had agreed fees for a number of players who would have improved the club but their wage demands were stupid which is why they didn't sign - he gave no names but Marco has always been spot on with this stuff and he has no reason to bullshit. It seems that we were looking at players but couldn't get them over the line due to the wage demands

12. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

I get what you're saying but if you don't tow the line you'll be left behind and I think that's what we've seen so far this season with the quality of players we brought in, I'd much rather pay the higher wages to have a decent season rather than save £1-2m on a players wages and probably get relegated. An example of this is M'Vila, I know they were politics behind it obviously but if we stumped up the money we would have him, instead we went to save on wages and signed McNair. Central midfield is really crying out for M'Vila again and that's even with Cattermole and Kirchoff fit, I'd much rather have a quality midfielder over McNair, Gooch or Rodwell.

13. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Agreed. Again it's all speculation but what if we're talking £5m on wages? We offer 50k they want £150k?

I don't think mvila would make that much difference at the moment. Mainly as he cant do it on his own. FWiw I think Ndong is a good midfielder from watching him play for us. But again he's not helped by not being able to play with a settled midfield. Or a settled side!!, you all know how optimistic I am and even I think we're down this time

14. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

I'd happily pay £5m in wages to 2-3 players if it means we stay up and progress rather than be relegated and lose a fortune.

Nads and clockstander like this.
  15. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

What is it with us and wages.

I think our wage bill is right up there, not with the top six but higher than most of the rest.
    If that is so, how do other clubs manage to sign players on lower wages.

Of course, I may be wrong and we are paying the lowest wages but things I read on here suggest we do pay quite a lot. People saying that when so and so goes (like Fletcher for example) that's 30-44k off the wage bill, stuff like that.

What I mean is how can clubs like Swansea, West Brom, Watford and many others sign players on probably less wages than we offer.

I've no figures to back any of this up but we seem to pay well, we are told we are in the top ten of transfer spend and yet we can't get players to sign for us leaving us signing the likes of Love, Matthews, McNair and other hopefuls plus old free players nobody else wants.

Norway and clockstander like this.
  16. The Norton Cat

Without figures from across the league its not easy to assess how we compare. I wouldn't be surprised if some players ask for more to come to Sunderland though. We're not exactly an attractive prospect in comparison to much of the rest of the league so we may well have to sweeten the deal financially. This is yet another area in which not signing M'Vila is a massive let down. Here's an internationally renowned player, who's played for France and for some big clubs, who is desperate to play for Sunderland and we don't sign him. His presence here could potentially have made us more attractive to other players due to his profile. But no, Short, the club, or whoever, thought it was more important not to be held to ransom by Rubin Kazan than it was to do a deal that would have benefitted the club on a number of levels.

Norway and clockstander like this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ue-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

18. The Norton Cat

19. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Dirty tel, away man I'm not that bad hehe, I know the new owners will spend massive money and they will be setting targets like the champions league. Even if we went down I still think we will be massive in a few years, I can imagine the supporters saying when will he (Guadiola) bring bale on, he cannot get in the team it is that good he is keeping him fit for the champions league final 63,000 shouting get Rashford on then.

Nads, TEL, Jack TheLad and 2 others like this.
  20. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's a **** load of drugs you've had there Monty, even for you that's optimistic.

Billy Death likes this.