1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 21st. January 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jan 20, 2017.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Saturday's Meetings

Navan

N/H 7 Races 12:30-3:55p.m.
    Lingfield
    A/W 7 Races 12:50-4:15p.m.
    Haydock
    N/H 7 Races 12:55-4:20p.m.
    Newcastle(E)
    A/W 8 Races 5:45-9:15p.m.
    Ascot
    Abandoned
    Taunton
    Abandoned

Racecards

At The Races
    Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Providing old girl Mother Nature allows it COSMEAPOLITAN is due to have his 2nd run over timber, of the morrow, at Taunton (4.00). He won satisfactorily at Newbury last month but I guess tomorrow, weather permitting, will tell us a lot, lot, lot, and I do mean lot, lot, lot more. It won’t be easy though as Cosmeapolitan is set to go in an all aged affair (rather than a juvenile heat), he has to carry a 6 lbs penalty for his Newbury win (the only horse in the race who has to do this) and in opposition he’s got potentially decent sorts from the Nicholls, Hobbs, Fry and Skelton barns. Plus, those old rogues, the Pipe’s, throw in Celestial Path (rated as highly as 110 on the level and was pitched into a Grade 1 on his hurdling bow). Sporting Life are forecasting 6/4 re Cosmeapolitan and must say this does not make a great deal of appeal. I do though expect him to win.

At the time of writing 33/1 is still available in one place (generally a 25/1 shot) for the ‘Triumph Hurdle’.

3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

You worried that they are putting him into an open age race? Perhaps the Triumph isn't the target?

4. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

Hastrubal. 12.55 Haydock.

5. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

8 45 Newcastle Leticonsbebygones 7/1 -- form of last race working out like a dream , four next time out winners , stable in form , jockey very good claimer -- oh and Kylemore Lough at ascot 5/2 - singles and a double for me

Sculco likes this.
  6. L_M

L_M Active Member

Today's meeting at Ascot was called off, inspection planned at Taunton for 9.30

7. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Taunton gone now too.

8. NassauBoard

Looks bleak for tomorrow's racing too, let's hope it warms up for next weekend. We might get a 8 race card at Cheltenham!!

Come on then folk, how do we make a profit at Haydock?

9. Double Honour

Double Honour Active Member

There's talk of it being a 9 race card next week, Nass, with the addition of the Cross-country race held over from November & now the likely re-routing of The Clarence House

10. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Tizzard unleashes Alary in a handicap off 162, which if he defies would make him very interesting in any staying chase! Wouldn't put anything past Colin this year as he has placed his horses really well. He certainly gets his conditions.

However I can see this going to the bottom weight- VINTAGE CLOUDS off 136 looks absolutely nailed on to run a race. Conditions no problem, stays well, -and in an attritional race the 24lb he receives from the top weight should really be telling.

11. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

My mates consistent horse Rock Steady runs at Lingfield today(2:35). Its a tough looking handicap but they are expecting that he will keep on improving and be very competitive today. Something like his last 7 races hes not been out the first two, very consistent. The plan today is to sit in behind what will hopefully be a strong pace set by Pinzolo and pick up the pieces at the end. They know Pinzolo made all last time so wont be letting him get too much of a big lead. Rock Steady finishes off his races really well so trying to keep him within striking distance in the last couple of furlongs.

My mate is down at Lingfield today, mostly for Rock Steady but he also has a small interest in Demographic(3:10). Usually goes over hurdles and won a race at Wincanton in November but hasn't really done much since. He probably needs a longer trip but they still thought he could maybe outrun his odds as its not the best of races but with only 7 runners now its hardly even worth an e/w shot. A good run today and could be one to look out for next time.

12. NassauBoard

Yep 9 races and starts at noon. Going to be a great day if the weather warms up!!

13. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

2 00 Lingfield - Raashdy win 14/1

2 35 Lingfield - Cohesion e/w 40/1

14. NassauBoard

Has Vintage Clouds been a bit disappointing for you this season? I thought last time he showed a lack of speed and his jumping wasn't as fluid as his stablemate.

He has lots of those 2s in his form, which is a worry for me.

I've had a dabble on Bishops Road who I think has a lot in favour today and can put it up to Alary et al.

15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

1:30 Haydock Waiting Patiently 7/2.

Whilst officially rated 10lbs below Politologue and receiving only 3lbs, I really like the chances of Malcolm Jefferson's son of Flemensfirth today and at around 7/2 I think he offers a little bit of value. He is 2 from 2 over fences and he has some very handy looking form, despite those vctories coming in smaller races at Northern tracks. On his last start at Newcastle he readily accounted for Brian Ellison's Forest Bihan (previously won at Towcester (beating subsequent winner Zarib) and then absolutely dotted up in a 3 runner affair back at Gosforth Park). The step up in trip should really suit Waiting Patiently today and we could possibly see a shake up in the JLT market as a result.

2.05 Haydock Mohaayed 13/2

I really liked the hurdles debut of Mohaayed behind Elgin at Kempton and I think he will come on a ton for that. He is a couple of pounds better off at the weights today and I think he can turn the tables on Elgin.

2.40 Haydock Cyrus Darius 11/1

Great to see this beautiful horse back in action and it speaks volumes that Malcolm Jefferson isn't afraid to pitch him into this race on his comeback. Despite him winning on chase debut 485 days ago the owners are keen to have another go over hurdles and he has been given a Champion Hurdle entry. I think he could provide a real shock today and take this en route to a tilt at the big one.

3.15 Haydock Alary 5/1 and Katenko E/W 25/1

Alary is one of the biggest talking horses of the season and Colin Tizzard has already been talking up his chances in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, despite the other ammunition he has in the race. To be considered for the blue riband he will need to win this today of top weight but Tizzard is having such a memorable season that you just have to think he can do it. Definitely worth an e/w saver is Katenko at 25/1, the handicapper has given him a chance here by dropping him to 139.

A lucky 15 on the main fancies and an e/w saver on Katenko in the Peter Marsh.

16. Sir Barney Chuckles

Oh Mother Nature you cruel mistress! Regular readers hide your disappointment stoically.

17. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

2.40 HAYDOCK- LAMI SERGE

Absolute certainty in my book! Getting 8lbs from the new one! Who I think hates the track which I know is wiered for a horse who has won 3 times but look at his previus runs! Travelled so smoothly at Cheltenham but could been a case he just didn't want it enough coz you know he stays the 2m4f he won't have to do much moore than he ran that day drop back in trip will be no problem and will be too good for them

18. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

3.15 HAYDOCK- BRISTOL DE MAI -

This race made for him , he's all about stamina never been out the first 3 chasing won on this card last year ,and ei improve from his run earloer and will give a good run for your money

SaveTheHumans and floridaspearl like this.
  19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Cosmeapolitan hasn’t got any more upcoming entries, after today’s abandonment, and you do have to wonder if Alan King is running out of time re this one and Cheltenham.

He’s half the price for the ‘Fred Winter’ that he is for the ‘Triumph’ (well at best prices anyway. At general odds there ain’t much in it) but from what I’ve read the stable really, really like Coeur De Lion for that former event.

Really don’t know where they will go now re his NH career. Of course his novice status, beyond this term, has already gone so it’s not like they can even wait a year and aim him at something like the 2018 Supreme.

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

There's always the Grade 2 Finesse Juvenile Hurdle at Cheltenham next Saturday .......................... if they think he is a Triumph horse. Thing is, why wasn't he entered for that anyway instead of at Taunton today?