1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sea City - The Humber Estuary

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by petersaxton, Feb 7, 2016.

1. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

Kempton, ElTigre and BOJACKHCAFCMAN like this.
  2. lakesideview

lakesideview Active Member

Thought it was part of a new series, last week it was Plymouth with a friend of mine in it, only filmed recently.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  3. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

4. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Didn't see that before I posted, think you are right it started with Plymouth last week

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Plymouth was the first one, this weeks was Tyneside, I thought it was a bit boring to be honest.

6. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

if you look at the link it was on last month at 4 pm

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  7. BillyBobBallbag

BillyBobBallbag Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting, though it did remind me what ****s abp are, humber pilots we remember you and respect you

8. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

I think you mean Ravenspurn. In the day it was more important than Kingston upon Hull and and was the point of Henry IV and Edward IV en route to gaining/regaining the throne.. It's mentioned in Shakespeare's plays. There was also one call Ravenser Odd. Ravenscar is further north, between Scarborough and Whitby.

please log in to view this image

BOJACKHCAFCMAN and tigerscanada like this.
  9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

This might be worth a watch...

Inside Out - Tonight at 7.30 BBC One
    Anne Marie Tasker investigates the story of the women called the 'headscarf revolutionaries' who changed working conditions for trawlermen.

It's the story of Lilian Bilocca and the other women of Hessle Road who changed working conditions for trawlermen in 1968.

10. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Thanks OLM ...I'll definitely watch it. In my long summer holidays from uni in the late 50s I worked in my stepfathers seafood products factory off Hessle Road amongst these "headscarf revolutionaries". What tough characters they were...they certainly gave an 18-19 year old kid from Kirkella a hard time...and had a good laugh at my expense with their constant obscene remarks (propositions)....all in good humour of course. I can well understand how they changed working conditions for their trawlerman husbands/sons/brothers!!! I may recognize some of them tonight :emoticon-0102-bigsm

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Mark Herman has just announced that he's making a film about the Headscarf Revolutionaries for the BBC, should be well worth a watch.

12. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

How long after the achievements of the "headscarf revolutionaries" did Hull barely have a fishing fleet?

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Less than twenty years, though the two were not connected.

14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I worked in the fishing industry and around 1980 most Hull freezer trawlers were changed over to Mackerel fish due to the Cod war and countries where they had traditionally fished for Cod/Haddock etcputting 200 mile limits around the coasts. That lasted about 10 years, during that time some were converted into Oil standby or survey vessels to work on North sea oil business.

So it was probably 20-25 years before there was only a few left fishing.

ElTigre likes this.
  15. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Interesting piece that Peter.thanks for pointing it out.
    How the old place has changed: New industries, different employment opportunities etc.
    Let's hope the Allams' other interests don't sink like their sponsored boat did !

16. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Yes, thank you for that information. I think I read that Ravenspurnwould have taken Hulls prominence if it were not for the unfortunate coastal erosion

17. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the program OLM. Excellent. Plucky ladies they were. A piece of Hull history I wasn't even aware of (emigration and all that).
    Next time I'm back in Hull I'll ferret out a copy of the book written about it.
    Seems like the series "Inside Out" does some interesting regional pieces. Never spotted it before despite watching live BBC TV all the time - unfortunately it tends to have London based regional stuff aired - but I managed to view this piece through the BBC IPlayer. Now I know. Ta muchly.
    Is the presenter the the one who used to do the weather on "Look North" and lives in Wetwang ?

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Aye, Paul Hudson, he still does the weather on Look North.

tigerscanada likes this.
  19. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

It's hard to scale, really. I was an apprentice for a company that relied on the fishing and coal industries. In the autumn of 1972 we, the senior apprentices, were told that, for the first time in company history, we were not guaranteed a job on completion of indentures. I joined the army in January 1973, others moved to other jobs and areas. My father soon found it difficult to get a regular trip, he went off to work the radios for the Spanish fleets out of Ullapool, then that dried up and it was long trips on oil exploration vessels around the Americas. Aye, 1972 was were it started, when it bit deeply was the turn into the 80s.

20. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Grew up in and around them, it was a hard time and not something I look back on too fondly. We lost a lot of men and boys to sinking ships - that's been discussed on here a great deal, we had men losing legs from accidents at sea, warps parting and severing legs in the blink of an eye, no where to hide on deck in a storm. Men (and women) under financial pressure turning to drink and worse. There were the suits, the clubs, the camaraderie, but there was always the back-story and it wasn't as pretty as some paint it. I would definitely recognise some, I would imagine; probably used their nets (they made in the terraces down Westbourne St) as goals!

ElTigre likes this.