1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SECOND LOVE....(Other Sports)

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Oct 5, 2015.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After football which sports do you follow/take part in?

My love of cricket is on a par with football. I follow Gloucestershire (Life Member) and this last season watched matches at Bristol, Cheltenham, Headingly, Lords, Hove and Arundel. Watching Michael Klinger has been a delight. Not only a superb batsman but also an excellent captain. Watching 'young' bowlers like Norwell and Miles come through has been good.
    You'll meet supporters who only like one or two forms of the game; but I like them all; championship, fifty over, 20/20. They all demand different skills.
    I live in a household where the female members watch WTA tennis (and Federer!) whenever it's on. A constant procession of east european players with names like Hangova, Legova, Leftova, Pullova.....
    I'll watch other sports if it's good. Being educated by the Christian Brothers killed any great love of rugby, though I can watch the good stuff.
    Formula 1 leaves me cold......how a procession of cars generates such large sums is beyond me. Seldom watch darts or snooker....but golf can draw me in. Horse racing?...don't know much about it.

So, what are your other favourite sports. I know there's rugby and cricket fans 'on the other side' too.....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Jon the Stripe likes this.
  2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would of said NFL as one of my other fave sports but I've gone of it in recent years I do still enjoy some Ice Hockey though other then that I don't really bother with any sport or football for that matter except the Mighty Gas of course :grin: and I don't mind The Bundesliga always impressed by the support the fans give their teams I would much rather listen to music then watch sport.:emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

Lots for me - Cricket particularly England test matches - Moto GP big Jorge Lorenzo fan - F1 the atmosphere at Silverstone this year was fantastic - Horse Racing particularly the classics - Ice hockey Belfast Giants fan and its always a great atmosphere and of course "The Rangers" follow follow my second football home is Ibrox it blows me away every time i visit! Enjoy NFL too

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

For me...

I like cricket but only England. Im not at all interested in county cricket. I love the Ashes. I would get up in the early hours to watch it on sky when we are down under. However im not that bothered about other Englang games though unless it was T20 games. Much more entertainment in that.

But F1 is my 2nd love. Only in the last 3 years or so though. I have really got into it. I think it can be improved a bit but I love it!

5. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I use to watch F1 regularly from 1994-1997 I went to Silverstone every year plus the Belgium Grand Prix in 1996 but have totally lost interest in it in the last 15 years.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I use to watch it when I was younger in the late 90's but went off it as it always seems to be Schumacher winning it all the time. Just got boring.

But now, the battles with Hamilton and Rosberg is fascinating to me. Think because they are on the same team as well makes it better :) England vs Germany :)

7. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Cricket Cycling M / Bike racing Rugby six nations Rallying, mostly on tele unfortuneatly

8. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Cricket is almost on a par with football for me. I also like watching snooker, tennis (grand slams mainly) and the open golf championship. I used to watch F1 all the time but I've gone right off it now really since the BBC/Sky TV deal. It was also better when refuelling was around so pit-stops had some significance.

9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Cricket (Gloucestershire ), mainly as a spectator and kayaking as an active kayaker...

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Snooker as well for me too. Womans beach volleyball too obviously ;)

11. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

NFL
    Love it
    Watched 49ers vs ny giants back last November at the MetLife stadium . Great atmosphere plus you can have a beer while you watch.

Jon the Stripe likes this.
  12. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Speedway and Cricket for me.

To be honest I like most sports except Basketball - wouldn't go out and watch Chicago Bulls against LA Whatevers if they were playing in our car park at work

13. years ago

years ago Active Member

watch cricket from local to test, but no1 golf, which i play more than I should.

14. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Cricket - all forms, all levels....love it and still turn out from time to time.

Other spectator sports - Rugby Union in small-moderate doses, a good game of tennis can keep me interested, as can snooker and downhill skiing.

Participatory - badminton - I love, love, love badminton and play twice a week, skiing not as often as I like.

American sports aren't actual sports as far as I can ascertain.....and as for driving, since when is driving a car a sport for god's sake?!

I know I should like golf and many friends play it, but I just can't derive much enjoyment from it.

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I agree with driving cars shouldnt be a sport but when they are racing thats when it becomes a sport. Also racing in a "sports" car, kind of gives it away too ;)
    There are lots of sports that have races in them. Using cars within a race shouldn't mean its not a sport <whistle>

Also I forgot golf. I love playing it but can't stand watching it.

16. FiveApples

FiveApples Member

Rugby, Boxing (not much these days but used to love watching it in the days of Benn/Eubank/Collins ect), I don't mind watching Cricket and try to catch some NHL.

When I was around 10 I really wanted my Dad to take me to watch Rovers but he went and got us season tickets to watch Rugby at Bath. My Uncle lived in Bath and Rugby was his passion so our weekends were always either at The Rec or to an away game. We had a great time especially watching that great side from the 80's.
    I played junior rugby for a while too and did ok, Always regret not staying with it.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

What made to end up at Rovers in the end then?

18. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

masochist tendancies? <laugh>

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

20. FiveApples

FiveApples Member

I still managed to get to Twerton a few times during the season but not as much as I would have liked. By the mid 90's I no longer had a season ticket for Bath so just tried to watch both whenever I could. As soon as I was earning enough I got myself a season ticket for Rovers and the rest is history...