1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield Hubris

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Arder than Sinbad, May 19, 2016.

1. Arder than Sinbad

I have many mates in Sheffield I like the place been loads of times.....but
    What is it about Sheffield football supporters which makes them full of hubris ?
    I remember the bollocks from the Sheffield United message boards prior to the semi final whereby posters seriously suggested that they ( division 1 , us Premier league ) were a better team , had less journey men than us , would give us the run around etc etc. sadly didn't turn out that way though it was a decent game and a good performance by Sheff United.
    Now their pals across the city are seeking to excel even that bollocks. Apparently they are a better unit, have the best player,are the best footballing team in the division,we'll crumble , their mighty support will roar them home because we are just a rugby 'town' etc etc
    Now I don't mean to be rude but if I'm not mistaken we finished with more points than them with more goals scored and less conceded. True we didn't beat them but nor did they beat us.
    Yes it's true we were awful against Derby at home alternatively though we were sublime in the first leg.
    It's true that Sheff Wednesday have been a bigger club Historically in terms of achievements, and status but again unless I'm mistaken their recent years have been spent bobbing along in the championship or division 1. They were last at Wembley in 1993 and made the league one play off in 2005 at Cardiff.
    In contrast we have spent 4 seasons in the top flight reached a cup final and been in Europe. Modest not great but certainly better than anything achieved by Sheff weds in the same period. It's true our gates this season have been poor and we all know why but over the past ten years we have had higher average gates than them on at least 5 occasions and they usually have around 12,000 empty seats we have 7,000.
    I know we have our share of message board warriors and the like but nothing on the scale of the crap now appearing not just on their fans forums but also in the local rag.
    Apart from foresteri I cannot think of one of their players whom is swop for any of our top 11
    I strongly suspect they are in for the same kind of fall to earth as their piggish neighbours it'll be harder but it'll be the same outcome

2. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Nicely put AtS - the bottom line. We bring our 'A' game and they bring theirs? We'll win, as you put, we've scored more and conceded less. Wembley will be a truly terrible place for the losers, the taunts from the winners (hopefully us) will be ****ing vicious.

3. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Greater Sheffield is much bigger than greater Hull, so it's only right that their clubs have bigger supports.
    They both have more illustrious pasts than us, proud histories etc, and both have never lacked self-confidence.
    In their own eyes, we're already the underdogs on that basis.
    Pigs? Underdogs? Owls? Fowls? Tigers? Underpigs?
    Curran dances to Sabella's tune or is it vice versa?

4. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Precisely the point I was going to make. They talk about us being 'tin pot' with no fans but Sheffield is three times bigger than Hull. They dont average three times the crowds City, Hull FC and Rovers get (about the best comparison I can come up with).

They also need to realise this isnt exciting for us - this is our fourth game at Wembley in eight years. The first time it was a mad scramble for tickets, much like they're having now, whereas we're a bit (too) blase about this. Plus we - unlike them - know the modern Premier League aint that great either. When we're in it a lot of our fans spend all the time moaning about how **** it is, so why should we be delirious about getting back up there?

5. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

No Problem with Wednesdays fans however always though Utd are a nasty bunch of ****ers who like the odds well in their favour

dennisboothstash and Edelman like this.
  6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

7. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

DMD likes this.
  8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

• Blah
      Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

Oh no, Bum Chinned Crab is on his way to shout at us.

<laugh>

9. City Man

And it's Sheffield Hubris, Sheffield Hubris FC

Polly13 likes this.
  10. bum_chinned_crab

I've registered but it still won't let me post. I only wanted to challenge the ill informed claptrap that they're spouting.

It's like ****ing North Korea.

Dills double deckers likes this.

11. Quill

Quill Bastard

"Oh no, Bum Chinned Crab is on his way to shout at us."

<laugh>

EDIT: You bastard OLM. I'm miles behind.

That thread is ****ing hilarious.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  12. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

13. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

It seems like the accepted criteria of a clubs size is how good they were in the 70s or 90s. No idea why those decades but a lot of people for some reason put far more emphasis on that than now. People go on about the likes of Forest, Leeds etc and say they're bigger than Man City or Leicester, purely because they used to be a big deal. Clubs like that are nothing now. Just middling Championship clubs same as Wednesday, although they've obviously done well to punch above their weight in getting to the playoffs.

14. City Man

They're reeling a few in on there. Decent site, very good emoticons.
    Reyt (see what I did there?) old chat on there, all mediaeval with thee, tha etc like urban Emmerdale talk.

Let them talk up their massive support, with no day trippers whatsoever, just 20K fans who have been absent from Hullsborough all season.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Typical Derbyshire nonsense. If they're not on there, they're waddling round Brid in a shell suit being hen pecked.

16. bum_chinned_crab

I work in Sheffield and they do talk weird. Someone was described as being "hench" the other day. I also mentioned going on a drinking sesh and the reply was "ey you gevin ball a reyt gud keckin?"

Wtf?!?

17. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Once encountered Wednesday fans in a motorway service station back in the early 70s. Some gobshite was trying to stir it up and another Wednesday fan told him to pack it in as he was knackered. I thought this was because he had been drinking neat whisky. But the neats he said he had been on which had made him feel knackered were his shifts.

18. Barchullona

Sheffield isn't three times the size of Hull. The population in the city limits is about double due to our odd boundaries, but the urban area is 640,000 compared to Hull's 573,000.

Unfair comparing our crowds as we have two clubs playing in the equivalent of the PL (according to their fans).

Wednesday fans have always turned up when it matters. Years ago when they had to win their last game to avoid dropping into Div 3 for the first time something like 46,000 turned up. Still despise them nearly as much as Leeds though.

hullk and Tinker Taylor like this.
  19. Barchullona

<laugh><laugh>
    Of course one reason they have more empty seats is their ground holds nearly 15,000 more than ours.
    As far as rugby goes, after 5 years of existence their number of Wembley wins equalled the 2 Hull clubs combined total after nearly 80 years.<laugh>

20. bum_chinned_crab

Just checked, I thought it was 750k but it's 550k. Fair point. It's still 300k more than Hull.