1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should cattermole be dropped?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by concrete tony, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I thought to be fair the one from the M'Vila pass was very difficult to control, in hindsight he'll probably think he could have hit that first time. He hasn't the greatest touch Defoe never has had to be fair.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Agreed and why the LB situation is doing my head in. PVA has not been good enough to keep his place but is keeping by default. That breeds complacent imo.

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

For a professional footballer he should be killing that. It's not the first time I've said it this season. It's cost us in at least 2 games (yesterday and Leicester) his touch against Exeter wasn't great but it got to the right place in the end. Like you say, his touch isn't an asset of his I suppose. He scores goals though!!

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yeah, when did we have a player on 5 goals in August? Has it ever happened? Not sure even Kev or Marco managed that! I like Defoe, he's always needed a few chances to score, even in his prime, but he's always there, making the runs, in the right place. He's a decent player and actually after all the rumors and ****e, I believe he's genuinely committed to us.

5. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe he's just not "king-of-the-castle" anymore.

Maybe the likes of M'vila don't give a **** about player-hierarchy in the changing rooms.

Montysoptician, Jack TheLad and Nads like this.
  6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

i picked that up from Smug's comments, who saw the game live yesterday. i'd defer to his view on that, but it's clear something is up with Catts. he celebrated with M'Vila when he scored straight away, but he is way off the pace

The Relic likes this.
  7. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Anyone think some of the players are getting sick of his ridiculous challenges giving penalties away.

This season vs Leicester and Villa. Both games we're well in the game and he does that.

I know how I'd feel looking at him.

8. Class of 73

Class of 73 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0106-cryinCattermole was abysmal, the tackle? he made for the penalty is something seen normally in an under 10's game. Not acceptable in the premier league and it cost us our composure and confidence, which we were lucky to regain and get a draw. As in the Swansea game, luck was on our side as well, we could just as easily gone 4-2 down in the second half. We need a team of fighters, but not idiots (leave that to the mags) if we are to survive.
    I don't know enough about the game to give any criticism about team tactics or selection. I am though baffled that Watmore is kept on the bench and now Giach has been put out on loan, whereas Fletcher stays with us; although tbf he did rush into the net to collect the ball after our 2nd goal so there has to have been some fire in his belly.
    4-games in, as ever KTF
    Hats off to all those brilliant Sunderland supporters who went to Villa as well. That is the true faithful:emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0137-clapp

Smug in Boots and concrete tony like this.
  9. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Whether he`s off the pace or off his head I`ve no idea but he`s certainly not doing himself (or the team) any favours.

For the last couple of seasons he was probably the best of what we had. Squad quality of which he was arguably at the top. Since the quality has been improved he is now further down. The squad player. Back up if you like. Perhaps it`s that he has trouble with but for me this is exactly what `next level` is supposed to do. He`s lost his place to better players and unless he bucks his ideas up sharpish he doesn`t deserve to get it back. He`s capable of playing better than he has these opening games but even then I don`t think he`s good enough to push the new lads out.

iirc we turned down an offer of £6m for him. I think this was the correct decision at the time. If we were offered that now I`d take it.

Smug in Boots and clockstander like this.
  10. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Agree with all of that Pops!

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Catts has given 2 penalties away in 3 games....that suggests he has to sit to sit on the naughty stop when or until he learns the error of his ways

12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Atm our defence is going to get us relegated

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

14. Hairyhaggis

Hairyhaggis Well-Known Member

He did the same under Bruce a few times when he was captain iirc, lost us a few matches with stupid tackles/red cards/penalties. He was stripped of the captaincy, then became actually an asset to the team. Somethings defo up with him atm, he has been outstanding the last few seasons, and there is some stats out there (Bri?) of points won in the league with and without Catts in there. I reckon though Mvilla is a much better footballer. Some of the tackles and passes the lad made against Villa was sublime. Him and Toivan are looking the business. I really hope we have an option to buy clause in the loan deal... I say option. Not a Alvarez style clause.

Class of 73 likes this.
  15. Brian Storm

I know we tended to fair better with him playing.

He wasn't captain yesterday you know?

16. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

He's massively out of form, I'm not reading any more into it than that, he needs to be dropped just like anyone else playing ****e would be, start him on the bench no doubt he'll get some game time if we have a lead to hold onto in the second half over the coming games, if he impresses he'll get another chance then. He's turned in a lot of good consistent performances over the last couple of years surely we can forgive him a bad few weeks before we right him off.

Nordic likes this.
  17. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

In fairness to Defoe the last time I seen a pass like that from a Sunderland player was nearly 50 years ago from Jim Baxter....lol. He was probably as shocked as we all were with that quality ball. There's a lot of positives at the moment....lets get a couple of quality players in the next couple of days and start moving up the league. M'Vila, Lens and Toivonen are Dick's players....here's a good question? Should Ellis talk to Advocaat about extending his contract? I don't want us to build something decent here and then Dick leaves....and so does his players.....

18. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

Giving 2 penalties away in first 4 games is it?

I love Catts me. But there's no come back from that short term. A month or so on the bench will do him good.

The captains armband needs to go to M'vila. No one's gonna **** with him, they'll all know who's the boss pitch-side!!

Billy Death likes this.
  19. Brian Storm

I do believe M'Vila can't speak English very well mate.

20. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

He dont need to worry about that!
    Theyll know what hes saying by the look on his face!!