1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should we sell Tiote?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I personally think Tiote is top class when on form. We are a better side with him, than without him. But he seems to be picking up these little injuries quite frequently, and he takes time to get back on form. He's a liability sometimes when he first comes back to the team. On form, he's probably our best player. His reading of the game is excellent, he cuts out passes, he makes precise tackles, he marks players well, he covers defenders when they go forward, and he can be quite creative in the right match.

However, he's not been very consistent over the last 18 months or so, and his discipline has improved slightly, but not that much.

I know we all love him, but if a bid of 12-15m comes in for him, would you consider selling him?

We could put the money into good use. We shouldn't rely on Anita and Bigi being replacements, because they're not the same sort of player as Tiote, but we could rely on the scouts to find another Tiote type player. With 12m+ in our pocket, I'm sure we could find a suitable replacement that's not a kid without experience.

Tiote is an excellent player in his own right, but he seems to be off and on, and has been for a while now.

I love Tiote, and I'm not sure on whether to get rid or not. If he can show decent form and consistency over the next season or so, I'd love to keep him, but if he keeps on taking 3 or so games to get back to form, then plays a decent spell, then gets injured again, I say get shot and get someone better.

Victor Wanyama is a good option.

2. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

If we were to sell him it should be for a minimum of 18m, but as you say he's had a stop-start period over the last 6-9 months. We should definitely not sell him this season, we should see how his form/injuries pan out for the remainder of the season. If it continues in the same vein as the last 6-9 months then a big money bid would certainly tempt me, however only if we sell him for 18m and spend that money on a proven replacement.

3. GGW

GGW Well-Known Member

No.

4. Darth Tash

CDM's like on form Tiote are hard to come by, but I think we can get a suitable replacement + spend cash on other positions we need to strengthen.

5. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

I did say that if in the last summer just gone if a bid of 15m+ came in for him would not be to upset to see him go, even though he is one of my favorite players. Like Tash say's and I said the same thing a few days ago on form he is one of the best, if not the best, in the league but...

I just get a gut feeling this is why Anita was bought in, to give him a year to get up to speed in the league and get settled in. People may say they don't like the look of Anita yet but he's played his entire career at 1 club up in 1 league until now, has just had his first child and moved country for the first time which I think entitles him to a little integration period at the club.

6. The Strawberry Syrup Man

The Strawberry Syrup Man Well-Known Member

No we shouldn't you fat twat.

(seriously though asking if we should sell when on form our most influential player (see man u at home and chelsea away) is ridiculous)

As for the Wanyama suggestion tash i support celtic as a first and a half team (second but more than most people usually second haha watch most their games as they never play same time as us) I think he will potentially be a great player but he is very much still developing and not a ready made replacement. Wanyama is bigger and probably more versatile as he can play cb too but i don't think he's quite ready yet going off his CL performances which although have been good have not been unbelievable. I'd be happy for us to get him as an understudy which i think was the plan last summer until celtic offered him first team football and until we got an understudy for Tiote in Bigi but eventually wanyama will be at a top club in europe i really think that, he has everything the modern footballer needs, he's big, has pace, is strong as a ****ing ox and is pretty good on the ball and will only get better. Also has a good shot which is something he didn't learn off Cheicky haha

7. abc CissesCurriedGoat abc

abc CissesCurriedGoat abc Well-Known Member

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

8. Obertan's Rancid Toe

Obertan's Rancid Toe Well-Known Member

Wanyama isn't as good as Tiote so wtf is the point

9. Katmandu

Katmandu New Member

Absolutely not !!!!!! we have only had him for 2 seasons for gods sake. I'm sick of this merry go round of players. We need to build on what we have and given we got him for 3 million we could make money back on him even when he's 30.

why don't we just sell Cabaye, Krul, Cisse and Ben Arfa and we can get relegated again.

10. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

The most important thing he does for your team is enable Cabaye to do his job. Scholes is at his very best when he's not having to put all of his effort into guarding the back four, Cabaye plays a similar game to Scholes although let's not compare them any further, with Tiote in behind Cabaye it just allows him to be able to find players and use his technique which is his greatest attribute. With that type of player (Tiote) you're always going to get a stack of yellows every season, he's effectively taking one for the team whenever Cabaye is out of position and the opposition are on the attack. Tiote is probably your most important player in the system you play, but I'd be very surprised if he's still there next season, there's no way your owner will fail to cash in on an asset worth so much and just let his value whittle away.

11. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

So true

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

13. Katmandu

Katmandu New Member

I'm soo pleased I've seemingly agreed on a subject with a majority??? what is happening.

14. lady-eleanor

lady-eleanor Well-Known Member

No be brings out the best of Cabaye and we should hold on to both players.

15. Mr. Bump

Mr. Bump Member

Totally.

Plus Cabaye has been anonymous this season so let's get him off the books.

Plus Ben Arfa didn't really do anything against Man U so best sell him since he's out of form now.

Krul has been injured for literally WEEKS, SELL SELL SELL.

16. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Exactly. We are in danger of losing sight of how lucky we are to have them. They're top four players playing for us. Tiote would be very very difficult to replace. Cabaye likewise. They are the perfect balance and both just need to find fitness and form. There have been signs of late and I'm in no doubt that these two are key to our chances of replaicating last year. Its no real surprise that Cabaye looks a little lost at times and can drift out of games when Tiote is not about. They complement each others game unbelieveably well.

17. Jarramag88

Jarramag88 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. No.

18. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

This, and the answer is NO

19. Darth Tash

I wasn't saying we should definitely do so, and it's obvious some people didn't read my article properly. I never said sell him now, but if he fails to pick up form or consistency, and fails to stay away from these niggling injuries that keep him out for so many games, then by next summer I say sell him for a good price.

20. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

And how do you know the player you bring in to replace him won't get injured and not suffer a loss of form?

Better the crock you know than the crock you don't know.