1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Silva's Done One

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Oh did i spell it wrong??? :emoticon-0140-rofl: Sad day. Good shop was Silvers.
    http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/leon...and-beverley/story-30209209-detail/story.html

Two family-run menswear stores responsible for bringing some of the biggest fashion brands to Hull are shutting up shop after more than 70 years in business.

Leonard Silver Menswear, which has stores in Savile Street in Hull city centre and in Market Place, Beverley, will cease trading after Eric Silver, who took over the business from his father, made the difficult decision to retire.

"It was a hard one. It was a tough decision but I am way past retirement age," he said. "All good stories have to come to an end. Obviously it is sad but you can't go on forever.

"I made the decision some time ago now but I carried on indefinitely. It was obviously very hard to break it to my staff and it will be sad to see the name go.

image: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/imag...s/276270/binaries/618_HUPH20170316E-005_C.jpg

please log in to view this image

Eric has many happy memories from his time running the business

"The people of Hull have always been good to us and a lot of people have expressed their sorrow at us having to close. However, at the same time they have wished me all the best because they understand and respect my decision."

Read more: Grieving husband wants to grant wife's 'dying wish' for wi-fi at cancer unit in Castle Hill

Mr Silver's father, Leonard, set up the business in 1946 with his son joining the enterprise in 1962 as a 16-year-old when the business was based in Jameson Street.

After spending time in London in the late 1960s working for trendy menswear shops in the likes of Carnaby Road and Kings Road, he returned to Hull to set up his own boutique store which was offered to him by his father.

image: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/imag...s/276270/binaries/618_HUPH20170316E-001_C.jpg

The firm has kitted out Hull City players and managers past and present

He opened up two shops in Hull and Scunthorpe under his own name but, when his father passed away in 1976, he took over the original Leonard Silver shop.

In 1981, he moved the store to Savile Street. It has remained there ever since and the firm will be remembered for being instrumental in bringing the brands of Armani, Eton and Florentino to Hull.

Mr Silver said: "I've got lots of memories. We always had football managers and players come in to get their suits fitted and I remember the likes of Raich Carter, Peter Taylor and Phil Brown. That was special.

image: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276270/binaries/stores.jpg

The store as it looks now (left) and how it looked in 1981 when it first opened in Savile Street (right)

"There has been lots of changes and fashion changes all the time. We had the designer boom in the 80s and the emergence of suits by Italian brands.

"Nowadays it's a lot more about casualwear and there isn't as much prominence in suits as there used to be. You wouldn't see anyone in jeans in my father's day."

With more than 50 years' worth of experience in the trade, Mr Silver admitted that it wasn't an easy decision to let his father's business go.

However, after completing the difficult task of breaking the news to his staff, Mr Silver is now ready to enjoy his retirement and is holding out hope that someone will takeover the premises and build a new clothing shop in its place.

image: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276270/binaries/Leonard 12.jpg

Leonard Silver (left) serving a customer during his time at the helm

He said: "I am looking forward to taking it easy, going on a few holidays and do some more relaxing pastimes that I have missed out on. I'm hoping I can get to a few more Hull City games now that I won't be working on Saturdays too.

"It's all fitted out in a certain way and if someone did want to turn it into another clothes shop and rebrand it that would be great."

The Beverley store is set to close at the end of this month when the lease runs out with the Savile Street store due to close its doors for the final time in a couple of months.

There will be a closing down sale in both shops prior to shutting with big reductions across all items in store.

Read more at http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/leon...0209209-detail/story.html#hOgXZXERMR0BkWlz.99

newlandcasual likes this.
  2. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

I imagine you were a popular customer

3. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Goddamnit Brady, I was going to put something pithy about Chazz shopping there, in a sarcastic manner, but you just totally shutdown any chance of that.

Well played ya Scotch bastard.

Next time.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  4. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Chazz was always a Len Becks man. And Boyziz obvs...

Happy Tiger and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  5. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Chazz please remember a lot of us are elderly, obese, chain smokers, drunkards or all four. Please be careful when writing headers for your threads, we are at risk of stroke or coronary.

6. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Sad to see a local shop disappear from the high street.

7. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

thought this thread was gonna be about bringing back SB.
    all I can say is: thank ****!

8. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

I used to get shirts in their sale, in the 60s. They had some smart stuff.

9. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I bought a few suits and other items over the years, my wedding suit came from there.

10. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

Sad to see it go. Bought a new suit there last year as my old one had shrunk. Had a long discussion with the staff regarding the rights and wrongs (mainly wrongs) of Hull City.

Kempton likes this.

11. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, the suit didn't shrink pal <doh>

12. newlandcasual

newlandcasual Well-Known Member

Shame to see a good independent shop go....bought my first Armani jumper there, cost a fortune.