1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sir Robert William Robson CBE

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Clough was my hero too, but I recall him admitting on TV that he never applied for jobs, the clubs had to ask him if they wanted him. Whether it was tongue in cheek or not there may be enough in that statement to tell any club he would be bigger them. OK at Derby and Forest but maybe his Leeds days tell us something.

2. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

OK. :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Master of the understatement there mate! 2 League Titles, 2 European Cups, several domestic cups and a Manager of the Year award.

He managed 7 games at Leeds, winning just 1.

I was gutted when he didn't come to us back in the 70's, but I guess he was just too controversial for the Board at that time. I'm sure he said something about being willing to crawl on all fours up the motorway for the chance to manage us.

4. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Not talking about his huge achievements at any of the clubs but the way he went about things. At Derby he had Sam Longson wrapped around his little finger, Forest was run by a committee who were in awe of him and just glad they had him from Derby but from his biography he totally misjudged the situation at Leeds as he thought they would like to play football more freely which they did not have a clue about. I remember the article about crawling up to M1 to manage us but since we did not invite him...............

A loss to both parties in the end.

Blunham Mackem likes this.