1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Six Nations

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

OK, I know this is primarily football thread, but I'm sure several of us will take at least a passing interest in the competition. I expect the title battle will be between England and Ireland and Scotland and Wales to take up the next 2 places. My son will miss all our Saturday home games between now and the end of the competition and after having several pints in the Queen of Iceni with his breakfast before the Ipswich game, will be back in the pub for the Ireland V France game.
    Let battle commence and may the best team win!!!!

2. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Despite numerous injuries, England, under an Aussie coach, have a formidible squad. unfortunately, most of the matches start in the wee hours for me so will not be watching live.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well, terrific by Scotland, but I feel they may tire as the game progresses with all their defensive efforts to keep Ireland at bay. Still, if Scotland WERE to get another try!!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm
    Well, we didn't get the 4th try, but FANTASTIC to hold on for the victory!!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Never could fall in love with the funny shaped ball JM, possibly something to do with schoolboy memories of, not one, but several, crushing 60 - 70 point defeats. In that respect football is far less humiliating. ;)

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As an England fan, phew! Let off there. Bookies had Ireland and England a long way ahead of the rest, based on today it might be a lot closer!

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Phew! England second best for much of that, if France had some real guile they would have won. They were bloomin powerful! Is England's win that sign of s great side? Finding a way to win on the back foot?

Bah!

7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

France played well, I think Ireland & England are still favorites, but I think France were underestimated. 15 games unbeaten for England a better record than the 2003 world cup winning team. Great teams can play badly and still eek out results.

JM Fan likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Back in the autumn, France more than matched NZ in the front 8. The problem with France is that they don't know what to do with the ball other than batter away in an attritional style. NZ once they have possession move that ball rapidly to get a score, regain possession and add to the score and then soak up the opposition battering ram game until it breaks down and they swoop downfield again and score. It is lovely to watch. France, and to a lesser extent England, are dull and very second division.

DHCanary likes this.
  9. The Ides of March

Not sure England are a "great" team until they encounter NZ then we will have a better idea. Personally I hope NZ continue to demolish everyone such is the rugby they serve up. Barrett is the Messi of rugby - a genius!!

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Fair point RBF and I played as a loose head prop in my youff (more years ago than I care to remember!!) and still like to watch some of the 6 Nations especially. Pleased to see that others have posted on the thread.

royalbarclayfan likes this.

11. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Well I guess if you're definition of a great team is that they have to beat NZ. Then they aren't, but a 3 nil series win over Australia in their own backyard is pretty special. NZ lost to Ireland in November 2016, but I wouldn't have said that meant Ireland were necessarily a great team. Having said that England did beat Ireland 3 months later. At the end of the day you can only beat what's in front of you and England have beaten the last 15 teams they've played including Australia x 4, France & Wales x 2, South Africa, Argentina, Fiji, Ireland, Italy & Scotland x 1, so it's not like the wins against weaker international teams. Personally I wouldn't say that the current team is great at the moment, but they have potential to be great and another grand slam this year and I think it would be fair to say they were a great English rugby team.

JM Fan and The Ides of March like this.
  12. The Ides of March

<cheers>

NZ are in a league of their own at the moment. The frightening thing for them is "can they get any better?" All greats have to have a dip!! In team games it happens as the great players are replaced by ones onot so great. In football it will be difficult for Barca to replace Messi, Suarez and Neymar (the 3 most talented players on the planet, except for Hooper). One day they will have to and if the replacements are the geniuses that these three are they will have been extremely lucky. Somehow I doubt it.

13. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Remember the rugby fields over the road on Pound Lane? Now the Dussindale Park Recreation Area! Sold off by the school no doubt. :grin:

Those muddy fields we ploughed through on those cross country runs, now a most hideous housing estate! :emoticon-0106-cryin

Reminiscence therapy at its best! <laugh>

royalbarclayfan likes this.
  14. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Disappointed for the boys in green, didn't see that coming, but fair play to Scotland. Weathered the storm, and finished strongly. Fair play to them.

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I must say that when Ireland went ahead, I was convinced they would go on to win, but the Scots dug in to see the game out for a deserved victory.

DHCanary and ncgandy like this.
  16. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Brads pretty good for Sarries but the Messi of rugby? <whistle>
    NZ are the yardstick by which any Union side are marked. England's winning run including a GS and 3-0 in Australia mean for me they are on the cusp of great. Win a slam this year and I'd say they are there. After all they will at that point have beaten all the sides the kiwis have and I'm sure you're thinking they're great? England too are gonna get better and better, so much talent coming through, u20 WC champions 3 of the last 4 cups!
    One things for sure, this 6n is gonna be a belter and I'd be very surprised if anyone wins with a GS.

Bah!

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Scotland's victory yesterday really surprised me, as in the last few seasons, they have been adept at 'snatching defeat grim the jaws of victory' but yesterday ...... and as you say General, I think this is going to be the most open 6 nations for several years and I too will be equally surprised if any team achieves the Grand Slam.

18. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Saw the match (E v F ) this morning here and could not believe how many basic errors England made in the first half. This was not the same side from the autumn internationals. The fact we won owes more to the France going totally for power and not the great unpredictability of former years. As they tired, and the subs being of lesser quality, the more we grew into the game. At the end of the match I was just relieved that we had won, possible not deservably.

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, battle continues tomorrow with surely one of the matches of the tournament at Cardiff.

20. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

England have had their glitch and Wales have key players not 100% so I can see England winning by 10. Ireland should roll Italy and sadly Scotland to revert to type and lose in a spirited manner in France. Hope the matches are as good this weekend and that Forest get a good to King as well

JM Fan likes this.