1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'Smack on the Bum or a Cuddle'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 13, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

THE CITY module is dis - similar I believe from what has gone before I think the matchday prep, /training ( training probably to lj -dh- jp individually) and team selection is done collectively with Junior having the last say .. a fair bit of banter goes on before subbing .. and body language says it all!!!!!... I have always been approaching the fence, but not climbed up on it or gone over it .... but have occasionally said a few words sarcastically regarding results or team etc ....
    change manager now...NO ..... give JP more input if he hasn't already got it ...yes
    what is DH'S JOB?

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

And I wouldn't deny you your right to believe in LJ, and I agree there are no standout candidates who might be interested in us.

And tonights game is very difficult result to predict.

Elland Road is a place we generally get nothing, but Leeds are a little out of form since losing to Sutton and we are unbeaten in 3 league games. I went for a 2-2 draw on the predictions thread, so that's bound to be wrong.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

And probably go 2-0 up too!! I'm hoping that if it is a draw it would be goalless. Just so as that a defending policy has been implemented and carried out..

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Tammy is the Championships top away goal scorer....
    I think there will be goals, but I'm not sure which net they'll be going in !

5. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Interesting point about Burnley. I think these things eventually iron themselves out. Once they lose at home, that tends to get followed by a few more and then the record becomes less noticeable. Same with their away form.

We for example had only drawn 3 games all season until last Week. Now we have draw 5.- 2 or 3 more, you would hardly notice that we were a bit of a win or lose team. I wonder if that is more down to LJ going for the win and it not always coming off?

6. oneforthebristolcity

I think you're right, I think he does go for the win, but I feel he does need to learn the art of defending.. In my honest opinion and it's not my cup of tea as I hate hoofball (and I do think Burnley has it a bit in their locker) but sometimes needs must...especially when you have a two or three goal cushion..Unless you have the players that are comfortable to continue to play out from the back and keep possession..
    I still think we lack a really good leader on the pitch..

7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'we lack a really good leader on the pitch..'

Not sure what's happened to O'Neil but for me he fits the bill and Hegeler might be another.
    Half Junior's problem is we have so many decent players he rarely picks the same team.
    Does he know his best 11 or is he trying to keep everyone happy.
    Wish he would stop tinkering and most of all, after 2 transfer windows and 19 new players, sort out our defending.

'I hate hoofball' - and me.
    Am I dreaming or weren't we, early on playing through midfield in particular, with Reid and Tomlin ?
    Since the arrival of Djuric we've played like the old Wimbledon.
    With Taylor joining we'll have our own 'Smash and Grab' next season.
    Won't be like that though, he'll have brought in another half dozen this summer.

Only a few years back it was 'if it aint broke don't fix it'.
    I know the game's moved on but Junior really needs to settle things down with set up and selection.

8. johngalleyfan2

I think at the moment we just need to replace 2 loan players Mathews and Tammy and get further right back cover... so summer squad editions = 3 plus any youngsters for the future ...
    In my mind the main problem is we need to have a settled 15 14 outfield and 1 goal keeper .. with a goalie sub, and rotate 2 others on the bench. That way we will have a starting 10 that comes from 14 players .. we know Tammy and Taylor clicked .... Hegler is a good pivot in midfield AND the back 4 are reasonably sound ...... so just 3 from 7 to add.....

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You do realise that JP is the defensive coach don't you? So if our defending is letting us down then who should carry the can?

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Last night City played 4-4-1-1 and 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. Don't you think that is too much change in game?

cant be much time being done on each shape. City switched right off again or did not know what to do in defence or simply didn't press the ball depending on viewpoint!!!.

but isn't all these formations too complicated? They are championship and in some cases division one experienced not International standard.

11. RedorDead

Yes I agree with that it's too complicated I was always taught KISS "keep it simple stupid". So all these changes is having an effect on their game plan. Which is one of the reasons I don't think LJ is the right man.
    What I was getting at is all these calls from JGF wanted JP to have more involvement in and he's the defensive coach which are our biggest frailties at the moment. Whether he's been no overruled by LJ is another matter but something's wrong so revert back to KISS and then build on.

12. Red Alert

Set up, set ups and selection has to be Lee Johnson. Lot of guff talked about identity nowadays but with City and defence it has to be errr KISS. They are expected to be differing things. Its been wrong for months not weeks months. Aden you had and kick it. Scott and little press it. Midfield bust a gut and get back goal side. Play what you train. BUT Keep it simple.

13. RedorDead

The other thing that does concern me is Flint being the only constant in defence maybe take him out of the firing line and try Magnusson and Wright.
    Both full backs need to be replaced come the summer it's all been spent on forwards but it's defence that's the issue.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

yes, full backs are our weak point- The number of times that you see space especially on the right is alarming- Teams know this, which is why we see it so often

15. Red Alert

Just my opinion but I want to see LJ commit to a style and gets some understanding in the team. So for me Flint your in. The full backs we know what your weaknesses are but that can wait to the summer. Bryan (good last night) you are now left side of midfield. Right side its Cotterill (good again v Leeds). Hegeler (good last night) Brownhill middle. Up top Tammy and Taylor. It its February so stop fannying around thinking they are all class acts who can be rotated and finally commit to players and a style.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    gdknac and RedorDead like this.
  16. johngalleyfan2

he is touted as assistant coach ..whether defensive or whatever .. I know it is harping on about when Cotts left but he did all the right things up till Lee arrived ..I cant see that he didn't have a big influence on at least lee's first 4-5 games! but that is a totally irrelevant argument that no one can win as we do not know .. as soon as we get a good lead we seem to slack off going for more so less attack more opportunities for them to ... so more pressure on defence as the next quote states ....
    about the best of these 3 is 3-5-2 .. 4-3-3 is desperation/throwing it all when to late ...LEEDS happy to deal with defending 4-3-3
    :emoticon-0148-yes:
    I wouldn't exactly say it is a fraility... more a lack of concentration due to shape being pulled about scored 42 ( better than more than half the teams ) conceded 46 ( 5th worse ) yes 46 is to many but a lot of them have been in the last 15 mins or so indeed a few in the last 5 and that's where the points have gone

17. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

A Manager has far more influence over the FC and more autonomy.

18. Cliftonville

I have answered your questions.

It is unrealistic to expect Burnlet to be as good away from home as they at home. Statistically that is true across football/

I mentioned Burnley because of what was a marvellous defensive display where players knew their roles, and fluently dropped into shape. Of course they will get undone because they are playing against teams with vastly superior resources and stars.

Then you have BCFC. A team where each week and game see defensive confusion and goals resulting.

Another match last night v Leeds. Why are they retreating? Running away from the ball? Why not press?

City have players like Hegeler who is strong and purposeful in midfield. Bryan looking good in possession. Brownhill full of running. Cotterill ditto ... Positives then cam the but when they lost it last night even the new players look like rabbits in headlights. It is sunday league defending, kids run away from the ball back to their goal.

So yes City could do with a bit of what Burnley are doing in games e.g. Looking like they know what they are about.

19. oneforthebristolcity

well like the politician that you are, that's probably the best answer I will get from you..........still no A or B....it's easy! Why can they achieve a marvelous defensive display at home but not away? Is it down to the manager or players??
    We were retreating because we have defensive problems and leaking goals...that's what happens when confidence is down....the only thing that will cure the problem we have, is to get some results under our belts.........It's the same with all teams close to the relegation zone......a couple of wins against good opposition would transform the team..

20. Cliftonville

City retreat because they are told to. Players are told to narrow down and get compact. On other occasions e.g. Reading are told to hold higher lines, nick it and counter. On other occasions e.g Derby City are/were pressing high/not playing on the counter. Rotherham even in possession City were told to hold shape. And unfortunately there are numerous examples where City are caught in a malaise where they re not sure what they are doing because Mr Johnson is constantly changing formations like last night where up to four formations were used. Second half was that 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 hopefully somebody communicated it go the players!

The good of Saturday was altered as Tomlin was brought in and City went 4-4-1-1 with Abraham isolated ... Again. It was better than Rotherham but a big notch down from Derby. Abraham went off on came Taylor with Tomlin and they played in the same space 4-4-2-0 Yes? No?

Up top or down the bottom this is not the same as everywhere else.

Stable team selection would transform the team. There are good players here . BCFC and its fans deserve better.