1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So, does anyone know where this place they call Humberside is?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by mussiesredhat, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

2. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

We're at the side of the Humber, makes sense IMO.

Really the question should be why do people in Hull desperately want to be part of a county that they have relatively little in common with?

3. mussiesredhat

I was born in the East Riding of Yorkshire 50 years ago. Says so on my Birth Certificate. Is that having something in common or what?

4. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

I meant culturally, Hull is more similar to Grimsby and Scunthorpe than it is Leeds and Sheffield.

I just don't see why people in Hull pander to be included with Yorkshire so much.

5. mussiesredhat

I suppose that is a bit like Washside, Aireside, Calderside, Bristol Channelside, Ouseside and Avon (Wiltshire) Side Or of course that famous area known as severn side also known as Heptagon

6. mussiesredhat

I worked in Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Louth for 7 years. They have nothing in common with us. Not even an accent. It was once expained to me thus: if the pennines are the spine of the country. Manchester and Leeds are the vital organs. Hull is the hand at the end of an arm leaving Grimsby as a finger nail. And without doubt it is the one you regularly use to wipe your arse

7. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

Or Merseyside, Tyneside and Wearside even.

8. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Which are the stupid modern counties just like Humberside is...

9. Guest123

Guest123 New Member

10. Ashbees Plums

Ashbees Plums Member

So much wrong with this statement, but then it is TWF commenting<whistle>

11. geoffrv8

geoffrv8 Member

Following many years of campaigning by the residents of the old East Riding of Yorkshire and those of North Lincolnshire, the Post Office and local government finally accepted that "Humberside" was a name for out area that was totally unacceptable for the majority of the population of the area and, in 1996, the much disliked ersatz county was abolished by the government.
    We, the residents of "Humberside" were not consulted about the name change from the historic East Yorkshire. It was imposed upon us by heavy handed politicians of an era where they could, and mostly did, get away with such insulting behaviour.
    Unfortunately the fight to remove the remainders of the hated name has had to continue because the Post Office has failed to update its data base of addresses, the "Humberside Fire and Rescue Service", "Humberside Police" and ignorant prats like TWF continue to use the name. At least the latter two services say that it is to save the cost or repainting their vehicles etc.
    As with mussiesredhat, I am (well) over 50 years old and I have pride in being a born and bred Yorkshireman. I also work all over the world and when people ask me where I am from in England I can answer Yorkshire and they know the name. Should I say "Humberside" all I would get is blank stares.
    So TWF accept that people from Yorkshire have that pride and have worked hard to retain their heritage, and if you cannot believe that then I suggest that you head outward to Merseyside, Tyneside or Wearside and join their ranks, because you obviously have no feel for that pride and heritage.
    I suppose TWF that you also support another monster that we were not allowed to vote for called the European Community!
    Rant over for today

12. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

<applause>

13. mussiesredhat

I think that the best thing that could happen to rid us of this Albatross is to start by getting rid of this silly radio station name. It must be the only 'local' radio station with a glimmer of institutionalised parochial character that does not connect with any of its listeners through its name. Such an action might also serve to give us a more Professional output who serve the local people they claim to. The trouble is that the people who make these decisions at the BBC have no feeling for local culture, and indeed it could be argued that some if not all of the local presenters fall into the same catagory. Any presenters who understand the strength of local resentment due must be cowering in a corner at the risk of loosing status within the gravy train that provides them with an ample and secure living.

14. Siegfried's cat

Siegfried's cat Active Member

I was born in Yorkshire, lived briefly in Humberside, and now live apparantly in the City and County of Kingston Upon Hull - all without moving.

Personally, I am pround of my Yorkshire heritage and no poxy politician based in London is going to change that. Yorkshire has a long history, and if the War of the Roses had gone the other way then the Yorkist may have ruled the country, and we could have had nice sensible Northerners running the country!

If you're happy to be from Humberside, that that's fine with me, but I'd rather be a Yorkshireman.

15. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0150-hands

16. wotnoash

wotnoash Member

Not as much as the one on the left!

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a Yorkshireman and proud of it.

My grandfather was a Sergeant Major in the East Yorkshire Regiment, I'm proud of that too.

I will correct anyone on any site that refers to us as Humberside. In fact, I do it almost daily.

18. e18

e18 Member

4000 men of Hull, many never to return joined the East Yorkshire Regiment during WW1. Many also did the same WW2. If TWF had the chance to ask them if they felt they had a bond with Yorkshire he would of probably left the room with a bayonet up his Jacsky.

19. merchantman5

merchantman5 Well-Known Member

Well said OLM and e18

20. adamisme

adamisme Member

Born in Beverley and raised in Humberside as it was at the time. But as I recently said to my Mum I'm a Yorkshireman, Lives a Yorkshireman and I'll never be anything but a Yorkshireman, no matter where I'm living