1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So predictable it's sick.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Feb 5, 2016.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We are being lied to when it comes to words uttered either by Steve Lansdown or the new man Ashton. I've had it with the promises and the tongue in cheek statements about we are preparing for the Premier League when really our management couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Serious well experienced candidates are beating down our door was the feel good factor thrown at us just a few short weeks ago, but if the latest almost dead cert shoe in is appointed then I'm off to pastures new where I can believe and enjoy what I hear.

The 6-8 million pounds bandied around earlier in the season was a bunch of guff dreamed up by our leader to make us think he still cares enough to make us followers of his me only mandate to the end. Why does my cynical mind want to think that there never were either top class players or managers flocking down the M4 or M5 to join us in our fight for survival and progression when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot from the moon that Bristol City is a dictatorship now equipped with a new, but clearly not improved, propaganda minister to do his bidding (oops sorry not a word in the Ashton Gate directory of business of phrases).

I know cider impairs the ability to function but following this traditional carnival procession, complete with our very own pantomime horse, that is Bristol City makes me wonder if long term use softens the brain enough to actually believe the crap being fed to us on an ongoing basis? History, and the lies and deception contained therein, has been our worst enemy over the years and what so many of have patiently waited to hear was something we could actually hang our star on for the future. This most recent, although totally predictable, fiasco has left me wondering why I actually bother when it is now obvious that our fearless leader is only interested in himself and his non- workable agenda.

When is he going to wake up and smell the roses and realise that we all want him, and Bristol City, to succeed, but all the time he keeps his head where the sun doesn't shine he hasn't got a hope in hell. Listen to the rumblings Steve and do something special but I won't hold my breath for reality to finally kick in.

Red Robin likes this.
  2. HANDY ANDY

HANDY ANDY Active Member

The problem is what does the club do if nobody wants the job?. Is LJ the best of the applicants? It looks like it.

3. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Would rather let Pemberton carry on, in all truth. This Ashton bloke is getting up my nose
    already and has probably been the main reason why we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Or we could have stuck with the guy that got us 99 points last season, won us a league title for the first time in 50 odd years, and then put the icing on the cake by adding the JPT for good measure....

5. Premiershiporbust IV

Premiershiporbust IV Active Member

Trouble is, I don't think we could. He was proving more and more belligerent, probably partly as a result of not getting the funding he was expecting, coupled with his absolute desire not to upset the existing group by bringing in players on higher wages. I don't know for a fact but I think that some of the lack of players wanting to come here MAY have been down to this....

Perhaps it was right of him to reject some of the options put to him by our recruitment team on principle - after all, if you don't think the player is right then why would you...?

Results were probably most of the reason but intransigence may have resulted in the board seizing the fan abuse incident as an opportunity...

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I get the impression SC was hung out to dry like SOD,you could see the frustration in both of them.
    Pent up anger,boiling to the service.
    SC either was not happy by the suits running the show,or he was being cuffed back by the suits.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    TETBURY MASSIVE likes this.
  7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

No mate SOD was a miserable, spineless, crappy failed manager who got us relegated, Cotts was a successful manager who won the paint pot cup and got us promoted as champions, a world of difference, he got fired in dubious circumstances we know not what.

8. NanaimoRed

NanaimoRed New Member

At Last people are starting to wake up and realize that SL is only in this to increase his own fortune, he is creating an ever larger portfolio so that when the time comes to sell up, he has more to offer prospective suitors.

Cotts was hung out to dry, yes he was stubborn but he had to be with a board and chief dictator like ours!!!

Simply put SL is NOT prepared to invest the money required to take our club forward. When bids have been accepted for higher profile players he refuses to pay the required salaries.

At times like this I am so glad I live this side of the Atlantic and haven't been wasting my money!

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Well said,there is something very strange, and wrong at the gate.
    I'm glad you get the same vibes as me.

10. Premiershiporbust IV

Premiershiporbust IV Active Member

On this point at least, you must be joking. This is not Manchester United, City or Arsenal.. You know the old joke right,

Q. how do you make a small fortune in football...?
    A. start with a large one...

Including the stadium, I conservatively estimate that SL has spent probably £100m to date (and probably more), so do you truthfully see the Bristol Sport franchise being sold for £150-200m...?

Correct:- Never in anyone's wildest dreams....

11. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

SOD was 'hung out to dry' because he had taken us from mid-table Championship to bottom of L1 in just over a season - a storming performance !

12. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

SC was either going to repeat previous history .. he actually did .. or move up to a new cog and have a successful season he wasn't

Welcome to the board ..but what a load of B*******, HE WILL NEVER GET BACK WHAT HE HAS PUT IN ...... should he sell up he will lose millions there is a limit what you can spend £1,000,000,000 on interest at 2% will net £20m a year!

again way off the mark .. .. .. he had a bad week where the situation got to him, not just the video but comments and things said about transfers future etc ... you cannot expect to be a manager if on top of poor results you lose it mentally ...

UNfounded you cannot expect to pay excessively high wages to one or two and expect the rest to be happy ... Rhodes deal is seemingly £30m over 3 years Midds, gates of 25,000 need to go up as do Burnley who have parachute payments help for 3 years to help with Gray you also have FFP TO CONTEND WITH

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I do not think we would have gone down to div2 but would concede SC DID do well last season .. but could not adapt .. .. .. .. for this

14. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

That wouldve been scuicide. Needed a change of manager to change the stuborness and general faffing about on the pitch

15. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Mike, Mike, Mike....your negativity is becoming a bit monotonous my man.

Decision has been made. Support it and see what happens.

You're becoming too much of a whining Canadian these past few weeks...

Mind the gap! likes this.
  16. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Today's modern football has moved on- We are no longer Bristol City FC who play at Ashton Gate every 2 weeks, for 23 games of the year with maybe the odd cup match to boot-
    Today we are part of Bristol Sport and could quite easily be cast aside as the rest of the operation, particularly on the corporate side, can operate on the other 342 days of the year, quite happily with or without us-
    If we do ever get to the Premier League, we will at least have a ground that can adapt to it immediately.

17. Angelicnumber16

As I've said elsewhere, the football club has become very diluted under the Bristol Sport banner and I don't like the way it's going. I also object to sharing the stadium with the egg chasers.

18. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Dont like it myself either, but we are not alone with this type of set up and this does appear the direction of travel

19. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I can understand the concept of a business set-up that offers many avenues of revenue generation and perhaps SL has it right in this case but I can't help but feel that Bristol City Football Club has been taken down the pecking order. If you look at the structure of Bristol Sport, and in all honesty I don't know it's form, it would appear to me that the biggest potential loser of money would be us and therefore SL wants to try and move us forward in tiny increments spending as little as his traffic manager will allow. Someone on here said recently that they felt that SL was more interested in advancing the group concept in order to bolster his bargaining power when the time comes to sell the organisation, and having the footballing operations on a sounder financial footing would help that cause.

I have given up trying to find logic in anything that has happened with Bristol City over the last 10 years and as far as my criticism I now realise that it falls on deaf ears so when it comes hoping that my/our words might just ring a bell somewhere down in BS3 I must be on some other planet, but then again ROD has been saying that for years. Have a great day one and all and you never know hope might spring eternal.

20. Angelicnumber16

Saturday is a big test for us and for LJ against a team that we rarely do well against.
    It'll be interesting to see what sort of reaction there is should we lose...