1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sort out the Boardroom Ellis

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by grandpops, Oct 5, 2015.

1. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Could Big Sam change it all ?

2. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

Grandpops - happy birthday by the way - I like your common sense post. But the rub is the people on here shouting 'Short Out 'can pick a great solution on paper, and that's it. They'll never have to take the flak if it goes wrong because it's never going to happen and we'll never find out. But what is exactly "the problem"?

Short has had three internationally famous managers (Keane, O'Neill and Advocaat) one internationally famous Chairman (Quinn) one internationally famous DoF (Congerton) - all of them fabled 'football men'. So tell me the bad choices he has made? Ok, he took a chance on di Canio, but Poyet had a good record at Brighton - that was a reasonable enough shot..

So what was the problem he isn't seeing? Because I can't see it either. Frankly, I think this whole thread is an ill thought-out panicky witch hunt. I can see no logic in it at all. Looking at the people he has listened to, what exactly has he done wrong?

3. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

It`s not a witch hunt Relic. Nowhere in this thread have I said I want Short to go. Quite the opposite in fact. What I am saying is that the board (which he has appointed) does not have the knowledge or the expertise to give him the help and advice he needs to get it right. That`s all. Simple as that.

4. The Relic

I'm sorry, mate, but I just cannot even start to get my head round this. Short is the money man - he administers the money. He finds a professional woman who has run a law office - she handles administration. He finds a famous DoF so he hires him as DoF. I can't remember the man's name, but I understand that an ex- Manchester United marketing man is in charge of marketing. Etc.

So what exactly are these mistakes that Short is supposed to have made? Honestly, I can see no serious errors except paying insane amounts of money to those sh*ts on the field. To me, they are the whole problem. They - and nobody else - are letting us down. Let me put it this way - if we were sixth in the PL, not a single soul would be asking these questions.

grandpops likes this.
  5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

You're talking too much sense here, he might just get our sentiments.

6. Brian Storm

It's pretty blatant Ellis short didn't give us the budget to adequately address all the areas in the squad. To the point it made bloody good manager walk. Who's fault is that? The cats mother? We've shipped 18 goals in 8 games and best defender is still JoS, this season's problems can't be anybody else fault. But why? It's because he's cautious, he's admitted as much, why is he cautious? Because he's hire the wrong people in the Past. Keane wasn't his appointment. Not sure why his name is even being mentioned as he left not long after Short arrived. Appointed Quinn as his chairman, This was the first chairman job he's had(ran all his business' since into the ground), Ellis let loose with his money which he gave out daft contracts and Bruce a licence to use his judgement un-challenged, squandered millions and everything has been on the cheap since, making further cost cutting mistakes in process (di fanti and the summer of the 13/14)

7. grandpops

Of course we wouldn`t. If we were 6th in the prem it means he`s getting it right. But we`re not. Far from it.

Byrne may well have run a law office but she hasn`t run a football club which is what she`s supposed to be doing now. We have been fined twice by the FA due to contract problems (fielding illegal player, Ki was one, can`t remember what the other was about), warned as to our future conduct and we`re in a legal contract battle with another club which could cost us more. Not exactly glowing references for a legal ace are they?

I agree entirely with you about the ****e on the pitch. No argument there at all. Who did they run crying to? Who backed them? Who has just given them new contracts.
    The answer to all three questions is the board. Seems to me like the players have won. The board is scared of them. That should never happen.

Class of 73 likes this.
  8. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Anybody remember George Reynolds the brilliant business man from Sunderland who bought Darlington FC and thought he could run it like a business? Even a clever character like him came badly unstuck when he took on the football men with their contracts, guaranteed wages etc.

Home_and_Away and Brian Storm like this.
  9. Brian Storm

Oh yes, I remember it well.

10. grandpops

Forgotten about him.

Dodgy as Redknapp though wasn`t he? Or am I thinking of the wrong bloke?

11. The Relic

I don't remember the Ki incident but the other surrounded Ji who spent a time on loan in Germany and should have been re-registered when he came back. SAFC admitted it to the FA as soon as we discovered it. Byrne sacked the woman responsible immediately. The contract row with Inter could have happened to any club - Inter reneged on their medical responsibilities. One (or possibly two) mistakes in all the time she has been here? - that's not a glaring example of incompetence to me.

Who backed the players in the di Canio affair? - Fair point. Short made a mistake there, and when it became obvious that Paolo was nuts, the Board including Short did back them. But tell me what else they could have done - if 20 or so players had gone on strike, we'd have been thrown out of the league for not fulfilling our fixtures. They had the club over a barrel. I still don't understand any of this thread.

Nostalgic likes this.
  12. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Why?

13. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Oh yes... The man who said it would be 5 years until Darlo were playing premiership football and that he would only charge adults £5:00 admission (when they got there) ?!?
    Fast forward a few years...... He was nearly right...... It costs me £6:00 to watch Darlo but unfortunately they are playing in Sainsburys car park in Bishop Auckland instead of the Promised Land of the Premiership !!
    Moral of the story.... In business.. Stick to what you know !!!

Brian Storm likes this.