1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Squeaky Bum Time

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Blue_Slasher, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

I think after last season's perilously close smooch with relegation I am still nerve wracked about our league position and ability to stay in the top three. However, just when you think we are on the slide, those around us also put in a poor performance. As yet, nobody is pulling away and even the play off positions are changing fairly regularly.
    When someone mentioned recently that there are only 12 games left it now starts to feel quite tangible.
    Then you start to realise that the two new loan signings from Brentford is a great piece of business from Ainsworth. Although they are only with us (at the moment) until the end of March. I think this is probably now our toughest period of games coming up (on paper) Southend, Shrewsbury, Accrington and Luton. Three of the four teams mentioned are in and around us and therefore the new signings, now having had a couple of games to get fitter, could literally be a stroke of genius from Gaz. I may be eating my words by the end of the month! You do though feel that he has given us every opportunity within our limited budget and surely that is all you can ask for.

All said, in some ways it was actually easier to watch us last season as we generally got what we expected. Obviously during the last two or three games the realisation set in that not only could we lose our position in the football league, but also could seriously face administration. But even the last game against Torquay wasn't really hopeful as things were out of our hands.

Whatever happens from this point I am proud of what we have already achieved. We have come such a long way since last season and we have done this on a very limited budget and with a limited amount of players. It's nice to see some opposition supporters recognising the fact that Ainsworth and his team are 100% passionate and together. At this level it counts for a lot. Comments from one of the Tranmere fans last night echoed that (you can read that on oppositions view from the "Vital" website)
    So it's in to the last quarter of the season we go....cheeks still firmly clenched!

Guywanderer and Ron like this.
  2. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

our next 7 games are huge - the 4 teams around us (southend, shrewsbury, luton, burton), a local derby, Dagenham and a home game! If we can come out of those and still be in the top three then I might finally allow myself to believe that we'll do it! at the moment, still too nervous to say and I do think the team has proven so many times that its capable, but we still require luck with injurys and suspensions. McClure will now miss 3 games but fortunately at a time when our other strikers are fit and firing!

One thing that gives me confidence is that many of our big games left (southend luton and burton) are away from home, where the team seems to be much better for whatever random reason!

Ron likes this.
  3. Bicester Blue

Bicester Blue Member

Looking at the last six seasons the number of points required to get automatic promotion in League 2 has been between 78 and 84 while to finish in the play offs has needed between 68 and 72.

With 63 points from 34 games just one point per game from the remaining 12 should be enough for the play offs. However, to finish in the top 3 is probably going to require about another 20 points (eg 6 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats or 5 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats).

Bury seem to have found some form at last and are coming on strongly while Northampton's form is such that the match at their place on the last day is looking more challenging, especially if they still have a chance of making the play offs.

4. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we will both dread the result in the build up to the Wycombe v Shrewsbury game. Could your team get a couple more red cards between now and our match please?

5. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

matty mcclures red was our first all season, so I wouldn't hold your breath! This is a better Wycombe team than the one who played up at yours just after Christmas, but we always seem to struggle at home so could well be a very nervy game!

6. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too upset with a draw to be honest and 3 points would be a bonus with our home form.

7. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll be coming down to it and bought tickets already, first time to your ground. Will take my Croxley Green based uncle to the match and going for a few beers near his home as its his birthday. Hopefully it'll be a good day!