1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stapleton apologises

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

THIS IS DEVON website reports today (1st)...........Paul Stapleton has apologised to Plymouth Argyle staff and supporters for his role in the club's cash crisis.

The former Pilgrims chairman said he was still coming to terms with how his 13-year stint in the Home Park boardroom had ended in financial disaster............He blames the club's demise on financial mismanagement,boardroom frictions and over-focus on development plans linked to Plymouth's World Cup bid.............Despite laying much of the blame with the New World,he said all seven directors should take responsibility for the club's downfall.

Mr Stapleton added "we were all on the board and we were all responsible. I understand that, and I feel for the staff and fans of the club. I am a fan of the club and I'm sorry things turned out like this. It's very sad because it's something you love and thats been very successful thats turned sour..........There is lots more in the article ,this I see as Stapletons personal feelings as a fan.

Stapleton has apologised to the staff and fans,apologising to all the creditors is a difficult and harder thing to do.Maybe the words would be possible for him to say but knowing that they got only 0.77 of a penny in the pound it would probably sound a little hollow.

This is another step to maybe being involved again, as a fan he surely has Argyle in his blood and could offer a lot of experience at an high level,he surely has learnt the downfalls that can happen when involved in management.

The question is can the staff and supporters forgive him enough for him to make a return and will he always be remembered as Paul Dubai Stapleton ???

2. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

I'm not sure that he wants to return, Plymborn. DS's conspiracy theories apart, there is no evidence that he thinks it's a good idea or has the stomach for it any more. I agree that he is speaking as much as a fan as a Director but the truth is - and he knows it - he let us down very badly and I doubt he'd be welcomed back. That may be harsh but it is a fact of life that you are seldom asked to repeat your failures.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I not so sure Westernmac, I think there is a desire to try and put things right because as you say he is a true fan.

He is also a wiser man through painful experience and I think he is in Ridsdale's confidence,so don't be too surprised if he returns.

Not everyone is against him amongst the fans and others would say better the enemy you no than the one you don't,not quite the saying I was looking for but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Also it doesn't mean he will repeat his failures as you suggest, He ran a very tight ship before Todd grabbed the reins with the so called "NEW WORLD" mobsters.

The more worrying thing at present is were the hell is this so called Irish Consortium going,they could fall out of favour with Guilfoyle and put the whole process back into a dreaded season start of MINUS TEN POINTS !!!

4. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

Probably didn't express it too well. What I meant is after a disastrous failure like we have had, it isn't common to be invited back. I know Stapleton is a mate of Ridsdale but that might not be enough. You're right, of course. Stapleton may well feel he has things to put right but he has lost a lot of money (to me anyway) already and his appetite for the risks might not be so strong.

I don't think you need to worry about the Irish yet. They gave the date of June 14th for a reason so I'll leave it another week before I start sweating!

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest I am not interested in Stapleton's appology. I accept he is/was a fan as well as Chairman but that does not excuse him in my book one jot. The trust has gone simple as that. I do not believe he knew as little as he says. He could have outed it in secret and chose, in my opinion, to say nothing at the time allowing the situation to get worse and worse. The holiday was the final straw for me. Had he really been decent he would have donated the money his holiday cost to the staff fund for wages. I put my money in the bucket at every match the bucket was available. I am not poor but I am also not a rich man with a vast income. I did so to show my own support for them along with gratitude for them carrying on having not helped to create their situation myself. He went on holiday. Says it all. He has had his moment of fame and infamy regarding Argyle and there is no second chance just to satisfy his conscience.

6. Steelthunderballs

Steelthunderballs New Member

Losers the lot of you.

-10 On its way To Home Park....again.

7. greenjock

greenjock Member

Well I was a bit torn really, but now that Scumanage have been promoted, wont have to bother about going there, not that I would have anyway, STB is from Stevenage, which is so nice its twinned with Shimkent in Khazakstan! The locals look at Luton as a holiday destination which tells you a lot. The shopping precint consists of Poundland, Poundworld, 99P Land, Bargain Booze and Iceland.

Steelthunderballs wife is the local bike and shoots ping pong balls out of her vajayjay on Saturday nights at the Dog and Dog, named after STB's sisters, and will suck your cock backstage for 50p and a can of Pedigree Chum.

Never had much to do with Stevenage or Spurs and certainly had nothing against either of them, but since STB lives in Stevenage and supports Spurs I now hate both with a passion and cant wait for Harry Redknapp to get prosecuted for tax evasion the ugly squinty eyed ballbag, and those other two stunners Crouch and Bale to leave in search of Champions League football.

Also hope Stevenage continues to win chavtown of the year, it gives STB something to be proud about other than the fact that he's been raped by all of his uncles, and their next door neighbours.

Not sure what the prick has against Argyle but whatever it is at least it gives the ****wit something to do with his evenings instead of licking windows in his bedsit

8. Thundersteelballs

Thundersteelballs New Member

Plymouth Argyle lmfao