1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Starting Line Up

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by General Lee Speaking, Jul 27, 2016.

1. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

So, firstly, I'll say I think Rafa will be the 'tinkerman' this season and do some hefty squad rotation throughout the season with so many games to negotiate. But, he will likely put out what he thinks is his best 11 against Fulham a week on Friday, so who will be in that team? I'm going to assume Tiote is sold by then, and I guess Sissoko isn't in the reckoning?

For me, I think I'd have:

please log in to view this image

Obviously Mitrovic is banned for the first 4 games, so Gayle starts although I'm quite torn between him and Armstrong who I think could step up, and I'm just not convinced by Gayle at all. Toss up between Thauvin and Aarons on the left side of midfield. I'd rather see what Hayden can do as our DCM than have Colback in the team. And I'm told Gamez can play left or right side in defence so I'd have Anita over Janmaat since he did so well at the end of last season, and put Gamez on the left. Toss up between Sels and Darlow for me since I have limited info on Sels.

Lots of ifs and buts really. I'm sure this team will bear no resemblance to what Rafa picks anyway. Anybody got thoughts on this.

2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

My team wouldn't be that far off yours save I would have Janmaat in for Anita.

Rafa, I think, will be more defensively minded and have Colback in ahead of Perez and have Janmatt in ahead of Anita.

Obviously subject to who else may yet come in. I've also assumed Tiote and Sissoko have gone. Would love to see Sissoko not sold by then but only on the bench.

3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

It's a **** side in all honesty I think we're going to struggle much more than people are anticipating.

The Little General likes this.
  4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I too would have Janmaat in, however you can't at this point in time drop Anita. He has has been our best player since Rafa joined and continued this throughout pre-season

Captainchaos. likes this.
  6. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

The defence looks solid, but I don't like that midfield at all, as ****e as he was last season, Colback should definitely start and should be ahead of Hayden.

Not sold on the attack either, we need at least another striker, and no doubt Aarons will get crocked after 2 games as usual, so another winger needed too.

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Pretty similar for me. Toss up between Janmaat and Anita who I think has done very well at right back. Other than that I'd rather see Will Hughes than Shelvey :biggrin:

Its a very good side for the division so Rafa would have no excuses for me. He also has a fair bit of depth.

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Nowhere near enough left backs.

9. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Darlow (Krul if he stays and is fit again)
    Janmatt
    Mbemba
    Laceselles
    Gamez
    Hayden
    Anita
    Ritchie
    Perez
    Aarons
    Gayle (Mitro when hes back)

Sels
    Grant
    Dummett
    Colback
    Shelvey
    Saviet/Gouffran
    Armstrong

10. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Would like to aee Armstrong given his chance now. We seem to have a habit of getting promising youngsters who are not given the opportunity to push on with us. After a successful season in League 1 the Championship is the ideal next step up.

11. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

should get plenty of game time. maybe not a starter yet

12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Well we have 5 games in August to try him out before we need to send him out on loan. 4 of which Mitrovic is suspended for. So he should be played as much as possible and tested. Honestly when I look at the highlights reels of Gayle vs Armstrong, I see Armstrong as the more natural finisher and the one who can create his own chances. I hope my worries about Gayle are unfounded and he scores a bag full of goals.