1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Strike Partnerships

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Jaggro, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

From what I can remember, Cameron Stewart only looked top quality when he was playing up front, partnered with Jay Simpson.

Since Simpson was dropped, Stewart has been dropped into midfield and has had nowhere near the same effect. (although this could also be because opponents have been warned about him)

Anyway, Fryatt and McLean have been forming a partnership since arriving in early January, and I imagine in training that the two pairs are put together to gel.

My question is, does this mean that we can only really play either Simpson&Stewart or Fryatt&McLean?
    Surely it's hard to mix and match when each pair get along very well off the pitch and frequently play alongside each other?

What I'm getting at is, if Simpson was brought on for Fryatt or Mclean, wouldn't it make it much harder for him to make an impact and find form when it's clear that he plays best with a pacey partner?

2. x

x Well-Known Member

no maybe don't know

perhaps they mix and match in training. thats what i wuold do but then i are'nt nigle person.

3. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I've said a few times now that we need to give Simpson another chance in the side. He's the only one who'll actually go in the box and kick it in the goal. The rest are all Phil Brown style forwards who don't go in the box. I think we're best off partnering Simpson with any 1 of the other 3, though I can't decide which.

4. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

Four goals in two games proves he's got what it takes, even if it's also four goals in about twenty games. He's settled with his partner and kid now and looked pretty good in the reserves - I would have backed him to finish that Fryatt chance.

Fryatt creates much more but misses much more, even throughout 20 or so games Jay never really had clear cut chances. 4 goals, a miss against Preston and one or two half chances are all I can really remember.

Who to drop though, I have no idea.

5. fozmaster

fozmaster Active Member

I agree i think Jay Simpson alongside Fryatt would be the better option.

He has his head in the games after scoring four in the league & another two in the B.C.D game last week.

Fingers crossed NP thinks the same.

UTT

6. codbody

codbody New Member

i tend to agree with most of the posters,i would tend to start of the game with fryatt and mclean,and bring on simpson for mc lean in the second half,to see how they perform together under pressure i would do this for a couple of games and then go the other road and bring off fryatt and give simpson a second half run out with mclean.
    i am all for keeping a settled side but a little experimentation cannot hurt moral or keep everyone on their toes.
    my biggest worry is dawson,most of you from 606 will know that i have never rated him,and he seems to have declined even further this season,i was particularly supprised wwhen he was offered another contract,would have much prefered kepping killer and sending dawson out on loan,but as always that is only my opinion

7. James

James New Member

We should use this season as an experimental season. Its quite obvious we wont be dragged into a relegation fight with our defence as good as it is. If we find a top partnership up front that starts banging up goals and takes us to playoffs then great. But I think we should write this season off as an experimental one and building a squad.

8. Jobboshinpad

Jobboshinpad Active Member

What about;
    ............................Mannone.......................
    Rosenior.......Chester.......Gerrard......Dawson
    McLean...........Koren........evans.......Stewart
    ..................Fryatt...............Simpson..........

Cum on Nigel, you know it makes sense!!!!

9. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

Devitt needs to be starting too IMO.. and it has to be on the right, although I'd want McLean playing too..

They say it's a headache every manager wants.. I certainly wouldn't!

10. marklucky7

marklucky7 Member

I do like the idea of using this season to experiment while we are only 7 points off the play offs we have to try to win every match we can

11. x

x Well-Known Member

while the playoffs is appealing i would like to see us acheive cohesion with a settled side preferebly with less loanees.