1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by DevAdvocate, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

BRENDAN RODGERS has backed Stuart Armstrong to fight for his place as a regular in Celtic’s central midfield.

Armstrong started and scored in Celtic's 4-0 victory over Ross County on Wednesday night. The goal came on the back of an impressive substitute appearance in the win over Rangers in the Betfred Cup semi-final. And Rodgers insists the 24-year-old only needed a little confidence boost to rediscover his form. Rodgers said: He is starting to flourish now and it's down to him, getting the confidence to play the role and understand his job. "He has played a lot of his time here on the left side, which I can understand why maybe managers would play him there, because he is very diligent and works well and he has an eye for goal.

"But we spoke to him a lot in pre-season in terms of his position and where he felt most comfortable, and at that time it was maybe difficult for him to get a game in his preferred position. "But what he has done, each day from that, he has looked to improve and understand the tactical element of playing on the inside. He's got a wonderful intelligence. He's a good footballer, Stuart, and he's improving tactically all the time. "Technically he is strong, his finish on Wednesday night I see in training every day. He has a wonderful strike in him, different types of finishes.

"Physically he is very good. Our first goal came from his ability to press the ball very quickly, and his goal, he spotted the space and showed great speed." Rodgers believes Armstrong should occupy any of the three central midfield positions, including an advanced role, rather than a wide position. And he feels he can get to the level where his first Scotland cap is in sight.

The former Dundee United player won his first call-up in June 2013 but has never featured and has not been in Gordon Strachan's recent squads. Rodgers said: "He has come into one of the biggest clubs in the world and it sometimes takes that little bit of time to find your feet. "But he has definitely found his feet, he is a player I really enjoy working with, he is super-bright and thinks about the game and his role in the team. Anywhere centrally where he can use his power and pace to break forward, that's his best position. Hopefully over the coming years you will really see the best of him. "If he keeps improving and showing those levels, there is absolutely no question he is a player that can feature for his national team."

Patience, Null and EspaniaCelt like this.
  2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

There 's a place for him.... It won't be in the team every week. But he's certainly looking more like the player we hoped he would be.

Null likes this.
  3. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Definitely a great player to have in the squad when we need to rotate our midfield

Showing signs of getting back to his first season firm for Celtic

4. Patience

Patience Spastic Arab

I think with a run of games and a bit of confidence that he is good enough to play each week. Certainly if Bitton's gradual decline continues then I don't see why he can't.

Null likes this.
  5. EspaniaCelt

EspaniaCelt Well-Known Member

As an attacking mid-fielder, he needs to be much more accurate in hitting the target, improve his decision-making and learn a bit more guile in and around the box - wastes far too many chances between blasting balls over the bar and taking on attempts when there are other better options available. His high energy level, driving play and work rate are certainly impressive, however and I think he has the overall potential to be a top player for us - particularly with Brendan Rodgers' guidance.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

Good to see the lad getting a chance to play in his preferred/rightful position, whereas with "Delilah" he was pushed out left. His influence has also brought the best out in Broony - as seen again today - and with a few more games under his belt I'm convinced he will be a major player for us in the foreseeable future.
    On the "down side" where are GMS and KC??? Impact subs?? or just lost!!!!!

7. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Both coming back from injuries.

8. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

Bollocks!

9. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He get better under Rodgers... no doubt

Look at Forrest

10. Bhoy From Brum

Bhoy From Brum Well-Known Member

Looked poor last year on left and rarely played past 70 minutes which made me question his fitness.

Can't argue with how well he's played since Rogic got injured, I wonder if Brown sits deeper next season whether both Armstrong and Rogic can play together?

11. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

Stuart Armstrong, in my opinion, is without doubt the best box-to-box midfielder we have had since the likes of the Maestro and Stan. Superb brain and ability!

As We Know likes this.
  12. Hoops440

Hoops440 Member

And ye can include Bertie & Lambo in that, he's that friggin good!

13. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

better than Gerrard

47m pricetag

Hoops440 and Null like this.