1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer transfer 2017

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by General Melchett, Mar 16, 2017.

1. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Get used to the new continental system my friend. Whilst the Head Coach and the Sporting Director will undoubtedly discuss matters it is the SD who decides who is sold and who is bought and the squad is then given to the HC to coach and deal with team selection etc. If the HC thinks we need a new GK and the SD thinks we need a RB then we get a RB.

2. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

This is exactly the sort of transfer we will get. The Finance Director has undoubtedly been given the task of balancing the books bearing in mind the forecast loss of £12m last season and the fact that this season is the last of the parachute money. The player budget given to the Sporting Director will undoubtedly be severely reduced from last year and the only way he can do that is reduce the wage bill and make a profit on transfers. Loans and taking a chance on players from lower leagues will undoubtedly be the norm.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes 1950 and I'm optimistic that we may see some of our more promising youth players being given the opportunity to prove themselves as well.

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

With Farke's connections to Dortmund and Klopp at Liverpool, we could well see some future WCT turning up at Carrow Road on loan at least <ok>

K E M P and JM Fan like this.
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Whilst there is undoubtedly some truth in that the SD will have final say, Webber has said that he would not go out and buy a player if the HC did not approve of them. Position wise, I would imagine it will be as you say a discussion but if the SD believes the priority is to sign a LB, then the manager might be frustrated if he most coverts a Keeper.
    I rather hope that they will both be sensible enough and talk enough to be for the main on the same page where the teams greatest needs are. We've bloomin known for years it's the defense what needs bolstering, so they'll probably go number 10 shopping!

Bah!

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Theresa has her shopping delivered by Waitrose. <laugh> <getscoatemoticon>

canary-dave likes this.
  7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Never, far to common. She probably sends out a butler on private jet to pick her fruit, catch her fish and deliver her dead foxes on her expenses budget.

Bah!

8. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Or at the very least a Fortnum and Mason hamper! <ok>

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Paddy's been up early this morning - "The Canaries’ sporting director aims to sit down with new head coach Daniel Farke next week to ‘push the button’ on potential new recruits. Marley Watkins is expected to seal a free transfer, when his contract at Barnsley officially expires, and Webber wants City to be active in the early part of the close-season.
    “We will sit down next week and assess the squad and what we have got, and then assess what we can do quickly, in terms of maybe lads who are out of contract or loan signings,” he said. “Now we have Daniel here we have always said he will make the final decision and that will allow us to push the button on some of those guys. If we can do a couple of bits reasonably early that would be great. I think we can do some bits of work very quickly. We are ready to go on that and now Daniel is here we can press ahead.”
    Webber reiterated City’s ability to compete at the richer end of the market will hinge on exits.
    Full story here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...-early-spash-in-the-transfer-market-1-5036407.
    So look like we're going to make an early foray in the transfer market, so that's a MASSIVE change for NCFC!!! <yikes>

An excellent article on DF on MFW - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...-into-place-as-project-webber-kicks-on-apace/
    I particularly liked some of the comments and it seems all the 'harbingers of doom' have disappeared - for now at least.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    RiverEndRick likes this.

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yes, both are very encouraging articles, JMF. I must admit I was a bit worried about how long it took to get the HC sorted but it looks like SW has been hard at work in the background. Watkins looks definite and there could be 1 or 2 more soon. It also confirms that the HC has the final decision on players, which is the way it should be.

I also wonder whether Farke's reputation for developing young players might make us more attractive for PL loans, like Arsenal's young CB Krystian Bielik, who has been rumoured. Eddie Riemer being a CB could help as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystian_Bielik

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent point rRck and I've just seen this -
    Paddy’s been burning the ‘midnight oil’ again and has identified some potential targets from the lower leagues in Deutschland (market valuations taken from www.transfermarkt.co.uk)

1. Jakob Busk Jensen - Former Danish Under-21 goalkeeper. The 23-year-old established himself as FC Union Berlin’s number one over the Bundesliga 2 run-in. Made 22 appearances as Berlin finished in fifth place. Out of contract this summer. Decent pedigree after coming through the ranks at 12-time Danish champions FC Copenhagen. Current market value of £680.000.
    2. Phillipp Mwene - FC Kaiserlautern right-back. The 23-year-old Austrian made 34 league appearances for the club last season. Kaiserlautern finished a lowly 13th in Bundesliga 2 but only promoted Hannover 96 conceded fewer league goals. Contracted until 2019. Current market value of £595,000.
    3. Tim Heubach - FC Kaiserlautern centre-back. Team mate of Mwene’s and made 26 league appearances for the Red Devils last season. The 29-year-old, 6ft 3in defender started his career at Borussia Monchengladbach. Current market value of £425,000.
    4. Kaan Ayhan - Former Schalke prospect who can operate at centre-back, right-back or as a holding midfielder. The 22-year-old Turkish international made 22 appearances for Fortuna Dusseldorf last season. One year left on his current deal. Current market value of £850,000. I like the sound of this player
    5. Pascal Köpke - Young striker with FC Erzgebirge Aue. The 21-year-old scored 10 goals in 33 appearances in a struggling side last season. Köpke has pace, can operate on either flank and down the middle, and you would feel is only going to improve after a breakthrough season. Under contract until 2020. Current market value of £850,000.

So by my reckoning, that’s the POSSIBILITY of 5 players for around £3M or a fraction of what Naismith cost and the oldest is 29 and covers a lot of the gaps left by departing players. I know we'll have to wait to see how good they are and if they can adapt to the hustle and bustle of Championship football, but if we can get even PART of the way to playing like Huddersfield did last season (IMO, they were the best team to visit CR!!), I'll be delighted!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm
    Full article here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...ntial-norwich-city-transfer-targets-1-5037483

13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Transfermarkt valuations won't even be close to transfer fees. We'd never accept £4.25m for Pritchard, £1.28m for Maddison or £850k for either Murphy! I think our business will rely on free transfers, clever loans and players around the £2-3m mark. Webber/Wagner signed a BuLi 2. CB for a club record £1.8m, and he was a rock at the back for them this season (Schindler), so repeating that trick would be appreciated! They signed a few players for under £1m though who have each only been bit-part players, so I'm not expecting too much of that for us assuming we don't have massive gaps to fill.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for that DH and I tend to agree that we're more likely to have to pay 2 or 3 times their value on Transfermarkt.
    I'm sure like all fans, we're hoping that at long last our defensive frailties are going to be long before the season kicks off on 5th August - 10 weeks yesterday and the fixture list is announced on 21st June.

15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Of Paddy's list I'd only see the two CBs as possibilties. Watkins scored 10 goals and had 7 assists for Barnsley last season playing in midfield and as a striker and Wildscut is similar if he stays. We need an experienced left-sided CB and another younger CB like Bielik as back-up unless Farke sees Efete and/or Crowe as sufficient in that regard. A CB who could also play DM would be an advantage but Ayhan seems to be right-sided. Bielik can also play as a DM, but I'm not sure whether he's left-sided or right-sided. If Klose leaves, however, we would be looking for a right-sided CB. I think DH is right about the money we have to spend though.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I believe, after DF's interview where he says he wants possession and forward passing, that we may, probably should, be saying goodbye to Tetty .There is a lot of speculation over Dorrans to Rangers as well, though I am not sure they can afford him. Jarvis is surely on his way as well with the arrival (?) of Watkins. Can't make my mind up about Wildschut.

17. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not seen enough of him to judge properly but as he cost a not insubstantial £7m, makes you wonder why not? Ditto Pritchard, while AN was here - yet he bought them both but chose to leave them on the sidelines? Lunacy <doh>

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. goldeneadie

The report is in the Daily Fail, so make what you want of that.

20. goldeneadie

A question, mainly for JMF, should Howson leave us this summer, is it possible that his successor is already at the club? James Maddison seems to me, to be an ideal central midfielder. His awareness and passing, plus, from his Aberdeen montage, his defense, would seem ideal for the position. I seem to recall he fell back to that position in U23 cup game to allow Cantwell to play AM when he came on. The thought of Pritchard and Maddison in the same team is one to savour.

canary-dave and KIO like this.