1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Winter 2024 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by THE FOXES 1884, May 5, 2016.

1. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Could happen as Steve Walsh was the main reason we went for him in the first place - with Ulloa and Ihneacho we would have enough big men up front.

Could be the case that we get rid of everyone we signed last season.

2. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

3. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

4. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

It was free to watch online.

I'll tell you what, Mahrez will be one hell of a loss...

5. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

As we saw last season when he was out of form, we have no one else with any x-factor to change matches and aren't linked with anyone that has it - Liverpool are now linked with him as a replacement for Coutinho.

Where did you watch the game? Seems from http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/luton-v-leicester-city-live-241824 that we took it easy.

6. leicester_ed

It was free to watch on the lcfc website, quite a nice surprise to see that! I can see Mahrez playing in the early games with us and it rumbling on the deadline day...
    I wouldn't mind that personally, would drive the fee up...

7. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Mahrez shines against Luton! Wow!

I watched the Asia Cup and, whilst he put in a couple of good 10 minute spells where he showcased himself, he didn't create anything for anyone else, his passing was woeful and he slowed the game down while he decided how to try and get past 2 opponents rather than move the ball off quickly. Still doesn't do it for me as a winger.

8. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> ... he shone more than anyone else,that's for sure. He's shone in all 3 of our games so far tbf ... he's not a traditional winger ... never has been... traditional wingers are rarely as good at converting chances as Mahrez is <ok>

9. leicester_ed

I know what you're saying but you can't really criticise him for it 'only' being Luton. You can only beat who's put in front of you...

10. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

He seems better on the wing most of the time rather in number 10 but maybe his ideal position that we haven't played him in due to our system would be on the right of an actually front 3. Not sure how we would accommodate that though

11. jambawamba

jambawamba Well-Known Member

Pity that he cant convert his penalty chances :headbang:

12. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Tbf neither can Vardy - would have won the golden boot 2 seasons ago if he could - our only decent penalty taker is Ulloa.

13. leicester_ed

That penalty aside in a game which was already won, he does hit a pretty unstoppable penalty. At least he hits it hard

14. BucksFox

Wingers are normally providers for others which is why they are never prolific goalscorers. I find it annoying that we have proper wingers on the bench while Mahrez is played out of position which might actually be preventing a proper winger creating more chances and goals. Playing players out of position is something we seem to do a lot.

Performing well in friendlies (even the Asia Cup) can be a bit of a lottery in respect of formations and who ends up on the pitch at the same time. It was interesting that Drinky was not on the pitch in that competition at the same time as Ndidi or Iborre.

15. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Mahrez is a winger, just not a line running crosser although that is how he played during the great escape. Under Raneiri he was given licence to cut inside more as we had Okazaki and Vardy occupying the defenders and have a pure defensive RB in Simpson behind him and it worked brilliantly two seasons ago.

Only proper line running wingers currently are Gray who is a left winger, Albrighton and Musa to an extent - problem is none of them are creators and need someone that can make that cutting pass and pick them out. The only guy we have is Drinkwater who was tripe last season but apparently Iborra might be able to fulfill that role. One role hat we do need that we have no one that can do is an RB who can overlap like the other flank where Fuchs and Albrighton worked really well together.

No clue why we aren't linked with any RBs - we are linked with Karl Toko Ekambi who is a Cameroonian LW from Angers though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but for me Mahrez was all about look at me in the Asia Cup. I lost count of the number of times he took a player on only to loose it to the next one. He made no attempt to get his head up and play in any other player. He is one of the greatest ever City players for what he and the team achieved during his time here but I'm not convinced his heart is still at City.

17. BucksFox

Mahrez has become too predictable playing on the right. Everyone knows he's going to come inside on his left foot and he's too easily crowded out and loses possession too often. And he leaves us too exposed defensively down that flank.

I'd have to disagree that Gray and Albrighton aren't providers. Albrighton last season was the one going past defenders and getting decent balls into the box, with many complaining that he was taken off when Slimani was brought on, which made little sense. Gray hasn't been given a chance as yet. From what little we have seen, he clearly has the pace and confidence to go past defenders; it's then down to the coaches on the training ground to make sure the rest of the strikers/midfielders are all on the same page and know what should happen after that.

18. leicester_ed

I disagree - when we won the league Mahrez was going both ways which was such a threat. He does seem to cut inside too much now though

19. leicester_ed

Brighton are ready to break their transfer record again with an £8m move for Leicester forward Tom Lawrence, 23.(Mirror)

Not for me. You feel that if you let him go he will go on to big things

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Only reason I can see him leaving is that he is in the last year of his contract - if he doesn't sign a new deal then we should cash in.