1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland plane forced to make emergency landing

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sunderland plane forced to make emergency landing after engine fault on way to pre-season tour of France
    • Sunderland were jetting off for three pre-season friendlies in France
    • Pane was forced to make emergency stop in Manchester due to fault
    • David Moyes, who replaced Sam Allardyce, was aboard the flight
    By CRAIG HOPE FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:02, 24 July 2016 | UPDATED: 15:27, 24 July 2016

View comments

David Moyes' reign as Sunderland boss has hit a spot of early turbulence after the aircraft taking the squad to their pre-season tour of France was forced to make an emergency landing at Manchester Airport.

A technical fault with one of the engines saw the flight from Newcastle to Geneva make an unscheduled detour to Manchester, where players and staff are currently waiting for a replacement plane to arrive from Aberdeen.

The plane turned round between Stafford and Derby, a spokeswoman for Manchester Airport said the flight landed safely on the runway just after 11.20am on Sunday.

please log in to view this image

+4
    David Moyes' reign as Sunderland manager got off to a shaky start after the club's plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Manchester

+4
    Jermain Defoe and Co are heading to France for three pre-season friendlies ahead of the new campaign

They said: 'It was a flight carrying the Sunderland football team. They had set off from Newcastle earlier and the aircraft was showing a technical failure, so it was diverted to Manchester as a precaution.

'It landed safely and all passengers disembarked while safety checks were made.'

RELATED ARTICLES
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE
    A Sunderland AFC spokeswoman confimed: 'There was a technical fault with the plane and we were diverted to Manchester.

'We have to wait for a new aircraft, but it's just a minor delay and hopefully we'll be in France soon.'

The Black Cats are due to play FC Stade Nyonnais on Monday as part of a three-game tour - with following fixtures against Dijon FCO on Wednesday befopre their final fixture against Montpellier HSC on Saturday.

+4
    Fabio Borini ((left) and Charles N'Zogbia were on the scoresheet as Sunderland beat Rotherham 2-1

Moyes has only been in the job for one day after he was confirmed on Saturday as Sam Allardyce's successor.

The former Manchester United manager took a watching brief high in the stands at the New York Stadium as Sunderland beat Rotherham 2-1 on Saturday - only five hours after officially becoming Sunderland's 10th full-time manager in 10 years.

Moyes had started his Saturday by being announced as the club's new manager on their official website shortly before 10am and immediately sped to south Yorkshire to meet up with his new charges for their pre-match meal at a nearby hotel.

He then travelled separately to the New York Stadium while the players went on the team coach. But the Wearside support spotted him as he took his seat in a smart navy jacket just a minute before kick-off and acknowledged their ovation by returning their applause and giving a thumbs-up.

The 53-year-old Scot formally began his work as the team left for their pre-season tour of France on Sunday.

+4
    Moyes watched the game from the stands before giving supporters the thumbs up after being spotted

Speaking of his appointment, Moyes said: 'The club were really slick and Martin Bain (chief executive) and Ellis were terrific in getting things done. They've given me some guarantees and reassurances about what we can do.

'I've been really impressed by the owner. He's given guarantees to make sure we keep improving.

'We have a big club here we need to take forward. We need to make sure it isn't us celebrating staying up. That can't be the goal. It's not my goal, that's for sure.

'I am really looking forward to the challenge. It's been something I've been hoping to get done ever since I heard there was a possibility of Sam going to England.

'I knew Ellis had been interested in me in the past so I hoped he might come back again - and he certainly did.

'I want to try and give Sunderland a bit of stability that it has lacked. There has been too many managers over a short period.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...way-pre-season-tour-France.html#ixzz4FKyfN3j8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

red&white wanderer likes this.
  2. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Good post - a case of "Welcome to your Sunderland tenure David here the unexpected happens regularly "- <cheers>

3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sod law they'd take the poor bloke to Manchester <laugh>

4. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I like the guarantees and reassurance bit.

5. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the movie, White Nights, with Baryshnikov.

6. red&white wanderer

its the sucking mancunian air

7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

They all fly directly over my house and there's nowt wrong with me.

Excuse me whilst I go and walk my owl, Colin.

8. red&white wanderer

Neville and out -<doh><doh>

9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Typical, not often we get to Europe and when we do the plane don't work.

10. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

"Are you nervous" ?, yes, "is this your first time"(meaning flying) ? no I've been nervous lots of times. hehe.

salad fingers and Billy Death like this.

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Come on the Red Arrows.

Nordic and RTB like this.
  12. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

The plane took off from Newcastle airport - any conspiracy theorists out there? The dgb's might have sabotaged it

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  13. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Looks like we escaped the big drop early this season

x

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  14. Deletion Requested1

Didn't realise they had to shut one of the two engines down - this looks worse than was being reported at the time. This is an account by Jack Rodwell;

It was the panicked look on the face of the air hostess which betrayed her fear and told Sunderland’s terrified players and new manager David Moyes they were in serious trouble.

For a squad whose speciality is staying up, all they now wanted was to be down.

One of the engines had failed on Sunday’s chartered flight from Newcastle to Geneva, sending a shudder through the cabin.

Moyes, sat at the front and on his first full day in charge having replaced new England boss Sam Allardyce, was startled and unnerved. But for those at the back of the plane - next to where the engine had malfunctioned - it was sheer horror.

Jack Rodwell, sitting with an equally distressed Lee Cattermole, was among those who called for help.

‘We shouted for the air hostess and asked if she had heard the noise. She had, and we could tell her face wasn’t right. She said, “We’ve got to go down, it’s not good”. It was scary,’ Rodwell tells Sportsmail from the safety of their pre-season training base here in the quaint Alpine resort of Evian.

‘It sounded like a chainsaw trying to start. We were like, “What the hell was that?”. It sounded a bit like bags had actually dropped out of the plane.

‘It was worrying me that they didn’t really keep us informed. I was thinking, “Are they even on top of this here?”.

‘It took us 15 minutes to get down and you’re thinking, “What if the other engine goes?”. You’re gone then aren’t you?’

The flight diverted to Manchester Airport where fire engines chased the aircraft down the runway as it made an emergency landing. Ambulances were also on standby. Thankfully, the only injuries suffered were mental scars. For Moyes, he never expected his first job as boss would be to persuade half of his players to board an aeroplane.

‘When we landed they said it was actually worse than what they made out. They had shut the engine down completely,’ adds Rodwell.

‘I have never experienced anything like that. Honestly, it was frightening. I didn’t want to fly again. Half of us were so scared that we didn’t want to get back on a plane.

‘When they brought us down we got on a bus and we were told they were going to try to fix the plane. We were like, “No chance! No matter what you do to it, we’ re not getting on that”.

‘I wanted to get here (to France), but I didn’t want to fly. I would have taken a coach ride back to Sunderland at that point!

‘But you know deep down that it isn’t going to happen again. They told us it was a one in 3.5 million chance of that sort of thing happening.

‘We got here fine in the end on a replacement flight, and it’s a beautiful place, so that’s a consolation.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...p-fulfil-England-ambitions.html#ixzz4FbH7BgGj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Brian Storm and RTB like this.
  15. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Blame Sam.

16. Deletion Requested1

Na its corbyn's fault

17. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Wish I hadn't read that mate, I've a 17 hour flight a week Friday..:emoticon-0107-sweat

18. Deletion Requested1

Sorry Joe - never thought of that but bear in mind you have more chance of winning the lottery than being involved in a plane crash <laugh>

J๏E.. likes this.
  19. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

I ****ing hope not, grabbed a tenner last weekend..<laugh>

Deletion Requested1 likes this.