1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Swans Comercial Dept.

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, May 18, 2017.

1. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Have we even tried though, maybe it isn't worth it.

2. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I worked part time in a supermarket for a while and as a result I never buy branded goods because you are paying extra for the name. I always feel that people who go for the name alone are a little bit sad.. Also I don't buy a shirt every season only when I want one.

3. trundles left foot

We had new balance years ago didn't we.

please log in to view this image

4. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I think I heard somewhere that Joma are with us for at least next season.

5. trundles left foot

I understand that because most of the time unbranded is cheaper. Not in this case. As for being sad for wanting to wear a more sort after brand, why is that sad. I chose to shop and by what I like because I prefer that brand, don't see why that is sad or have I misinterpreted what you have said.

Stereo likes this.
  6. trundles left foot

I thought we had signed for about 3 or 4 seasons.

7. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Booooooooo

trundles left foot likes this.
  8. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

There is nothing at all wrong with the Joma brand and some of you are being far too fickle. Shirt and other items of clothing have sold out many times in the club shops. I usually use Debinhams for my collection and they have been just as popular as any other brand we have had.....We are Swansea city and not one of the high profile clubs ffs. our over seas sales have been very good and improve year after year that is above average for a club like us and when we change our brand again when the contract is over then the same ratio of sales will continue the same.....Joma sports wear is used in many high profile sports all over the world....

9. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Indeed we are not! But surely we can aspire to better than Middlesbrough and Sunderland figures? And while we are at it, what we have been debating theses last few posts are the players field Jersey's, there is a merchandising brand that is behind that in the Leisure sports wear that can pull much more if promoted and marketed professionally. Our retail Sports sales are rock bottom, and that has to change, wasn't this the reason that the Yanks were brought on board? To develop all commercial aspects of the club?

If your only going to think small, then peanuts is your return.........<ok>

10. DragonPhilljack

Joma is not Adidas Dai, your an old boot, who thinks as such, talk to any youngster who is fashion label conscious, and they will tell you Joma is bottom of the pile, cheap brand (sorry if your a coma fan), and when it comes to retail clothing the smart money is with the young, not old boots like you, so unless you can prove that Joma has sold out, which I doubt very much, then you are sadly wrong.

I would be pleased for you to prove that Joma has improved our sales, but I'm pretty sure in has been the opposite.

Last edited: May 18, 2017

11. DragonPhilljack

I agree, if we continue with the mentality that has been demonstrated these last 6 seasons in the PL, but how is Joma a positive move in the right direction? And while we cannot expect to improve sales overnight, at least start actively promoting our brand professionally at every given opportunity, sales need to be built up over successive seasons, we seem to be stuck in a commercial rut, lets have some ambition and get up and go..........<ok>

12. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

Phill I would love it if the Swans could get the maximum benefit from off field sales. But lets face it at the moment and things could change, we are a small club and if we are not careful and we take our eye of the ball (no pun intended) we will end up back in trouble. The club must focus on expanding the stadium, improving the playing staff and developing new talent in our new facility. If you look at the top 6 clubs that is what they have focused on and to be a big club that should be our business model as well.

DragonPhilljack and seabreeze like this.
  13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Fuk now I see it.......its all Jomas fault <party>

14. DragonPhilljack

I couldn't agree more with what you have said here, and expanding the stadium is a must, and that in itself will increase the shirt sales but surely we should also look to be progressive on other commercial fronts also, theses are different dept's...........<ok>

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. DragonPhilljack

Yes but that is you, (by the way I feel the same) but the facts are people by brand names, and throw serious money at such brands whether you or I like it or not, why else would there be a healthy counterfeit market also?

16. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

If people want to buy branded goods that,s up to them. What annoys me is the rip off that these brands do on people. Some examples the supermarket own brand swirly cream was a pound cheaper than Anchor. The supermarket cream had product of Belgium whilst the Anchor had Produce of the EU. You don't have to be a genius to work out they were from the same dairy. THe bakery manager told me during his training they were taken to al large bakery either Braces or Warburtons where an area was fenced off for M&S to put the same bread in their own wrappers.My mate drives an artiic for ASDA, a group of us were passing a M&S depot when one of the ladies said Oh M&S wonderful, my mate replied third lorry in the queue at the factory. This is what annoys me that people may be ripped off and not realise it.

17. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

Have a look on the Man Utd website. It is amazing what they have developed for bringing in money. All of it was only possible after 20 league titles and a global reach created by the Champions League and a stadium which holds 79k supporters. If we are patient with a little luck and good planning we may enjoy something on a smaller scale like some cup finals and maybe even a place in Europe again.

18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

19. DragonPhilljack

On the subject of match day kit, I don't know how it works with the sponsorship deals with these sports kit manufacturers, doest it extend to the costing of these kits? Only reason I ask is that these shirts etc are made in Bangladesh for as little as £3 or £4 pounds, what Adidas charge the club can only be guessed at, but I doubt the club is paying more than a £10 per shirt, which would give the club approx £35.00 profit per top ×25,000 which would give the club £875,000 just on match day shirt sales.

I have spoken to a number of garment importers from Pakistan, Turkey etc in the past, and cotton products are produced for as little as £2.00 a top depending on volume orders, and while the club do not manufacturer these branded goods themselves, it gives you an idea how cheaply Adidas are getting these in for, just want to get you to understand the profit margin in these shirt sales, and why it's worth Millions to the top teams....... <ok>

20. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

But as said earlier. A lot of people like brands. It's the way of the world - simple as. There's no real logic to it - but for a lot of people owning something expensive or an elite brand makes them feel good about themselves. It doesn't matter if it comes from the same factory. It's about perception. Joma is the old 1980's Skoda of manufacturers. It does a job but a lot of people wouldn't be seen dead in them, and a lot of people were laughed at. The 'squares' who had a Skoda would say similar things that's being said here, but no matter what - it was just not cool, and to say "I don't care about being cool" is what old people sound like.

Take Apple, whether you like them or not, as a brand they are amazing. If they make a car, you just know there's going to be a gazillion fanboys queuing up to have one - simply because it's Apple. It would be madness to deny it.

I have a mate who almost didn't get married to his wife because when they were choosing the rings he said "it's crazy to spend that much money on a ring, it will be better if I buy you a cheaper ring and buy you a dishwasher as well". She was appalled. He just couldn't grasp that his logic, whilst sound, proved he didn't understand that it's not about logic and sensibility. She wanted to show her friends her huge diamond, not her new dishwasher. Logic doesn't come into it.