1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Reading (Second Leg)

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, May 15, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

All quiet on the team front from the Gaffer. The only doubt has to be Stefan Johansen who, as SuperBri mentioned, was rubbing his thigh and/or hamstring towards the end of Saturday's game. Would be a bit ironic if he does have a problem since he was the one rested against Wednesday a week earlier ... unless of course he was carrying the injury then as well. Have to say he didn't look his gung ho self in the first leg so could be a big doubt.

Reading will of course be without their Clogger Captain, McShane, the club having decided not to appeal his red card despite the player claiming it was all Kebano's fault. Left back Obita, who was very impressive, is their main doubt with that ankle injury right at the death. Can't see it bothering Stam too much however; they'll set up as before and have plenty of McShane look-a-likes to bring in.

For us we're back to the Martin debate but will get back to that. Last time out at theirs - the re-arranged fixture - Jokanovic started with 3 at the back; Kalas, Madl and Ream. That only lasted till half time though when he hoiked Madl off for Piazon. Can't see him repeating the tactic but he may start with Odoi and save Fredericks for later and them tiring.

So, back to Martin. Guess the first thing to say it that Kebano deserves a place after his showing when he replaced Martin on Saturday. Ayite? Very quiet in that game but as said in the other thread, the way we played while Martin was on just didn't suit him although, arguably, he should have tried to get closer to the striker. Funnily enough I think it boils down to whether Johansen is fit. If he's not then Piazon takes his place and Martin plays. If he is fit ...

...................Bettinelli......
    ...Odoi...Kalas....Ream...Maone...
    ...................McDonald....
    .............Cairney...Johansen....
    ......Aluko.....Kebano....Sessegnon..

PS Hope to goodness Marcus's kicking improves
    PPS Hope to goodness Malone can get at least some of crosses right

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. Cottager58

The man up tomorrow night is Martin Atkinson.

please log in to view this image

The first good thing obviously is it's not Attwell. Equally good is missing out on Andre Marriner who has the other semi-final 2nd leg.

Been a long time since we've seen Martin; you have to go back to season 2013/14 so we'll skip over that. This season the poor guy must be quite pooped, having done 40 games already with all his European matches and was out again on Sunday in the Palace v Hull game. He has been criticised in the past for 'appearing tired' in games but there's no doubting he's among the top (two, maybe three?) refs that we have.

For the record, in those 40 games Atkinson has dished out 139 yellows and 3 reds.

3. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Should be a totally different game and we have more than enough to do a job on them. I was at the Madjeski stadium when we lost 1-0 having been the better team, and missing a penalty in the last minute. Anything could happen tomorrow, we have the potential to absolutely thrash them, we also could go down to a stupid early goal and be frustrated by them for the rest of the match. I think this is my pre-match nerves coming out.

Early goal, or even first goal for us would be a definer. Not heard about Obita and the latest on his injury but if he plays then he must be a weakness but I'm expecting him not to play. Reading were defensively strong on Saturday so with Obita and McShane out I'm not sure they will be able to repeat that performance as effectively and we should have a bit more luck.

I'm going to trust the manager on the Martin starting. I think we are better off without him but he does hold the ball up and allows others to find space. We have so many options but I really do hope Johansen is fit.

Super Brian McBride likes this.
  4. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

With the exception of Button in goal, the above line up was the one used away to Newcastle, and that went well, I'm sure Stam has studied that.
    Johansen could be a problem, i was hoping it was just a dead leg but can still take a day or two to get over and be tender.
    Reading probably have one of the best home records and we have one of the best away, but I not sure from what I've seen that
    some of their home performances have been convincing, but they are a team that seems to grind out a result and we all know our weakness.
    Need Bettinelli to have a blinder and Al Habsi to have a nightmare
    Let's hope the Ref has a good game unlike Mr Atwel

Still, score more than them and we win...easy :emoticon-0140-rofl:

5. Cottager58

According to Jokanovic in his interview on the official website everyone is available. Could be a bluff of course to keep them guessing but if believed, Johansen will play.

6. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Much is dependent on the ref, we either have a football match or a scrap. We can in the football match, not so sure of the scrap.

7. Cottager58

Watching the game live on Saturday I believed a Reading player handled the ball before they got their goal. Watching the game on my sofa tonight I believed a Reading player handled the ball before Kalas was penalised and they scored. Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury ... the evidence

upload_2017-5-16_23-1-54.png

8. Fulham COYW

Disappointing to lose the playoff based on a penalty. It was at the opposite end to me so could not see what the penalty had been given for. We tried our best, I felt we were the better team but we could not get the ball in the net. Disappointed but on a reflective journey home we have had a good season, played some fantastic, entertaining football and I've enjoyed it. Thank you Fulham.

9. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

I was very surprised and disappointed with the result yesterday, was quite a numb feeling in the last 5 mins when all optimism had been rinsed out and I watched no longer believing we would score. On reflection it just shows how far we have come - I had no faith in team from the point it became clear Magath was a madman to early on in Slavs glorious reign but towards the end of this season I was utterly convinced of their ability and spirit and certain promotion would come. In the end the small margins caught us out but I'm in no doubt Slav will address them over the summer. We need a new striker who better fits our system, a new CB, probably a replacement for Cairney plus another option to replace Parker. Considering the scale of changes we needed not long ago it's a good position to be in - I'll be putting a fiver on us for automatic promotion next season.

2whitestripes and Cottager58 like this.
  10. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

Fantastic season, fell just short very proud

2whitestripes and Surlyc like this.

11. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

It's hard to take as Reading don't try and play much football, but ultimately if you can't beat those teams then you don't deserve to go up. Reading played to their game-plan and got the result they wanted.

Now our planning for next season starts. It's a big ask, but I think with the following four points we'll be favourites for promotion next season:

1. Persuade Tom Cairney to give us one more year (probably with a big pay rise and a release clause should we miss promotion next year);
    2. Persuade Ryan Sessegnon to sign his papers next week and give us a year before his big money move.
    3. Sign a new centre forward (or two) to play our system. I don't want Martin or any other loan striker - we need to go and get a fully committed striker to lead our line.
    4. Sign a centre back, whether it is Kalas or someone else.

If we can hold this team together and sign the striker we need, I think we'll be very well set for next year. COYW!

2whitestripes and Cottager58 like this.
  12. Cottager58

Traveller, don't know what the heck happened. I pressed "Like" and "Report" (which I can't seem to get rid of) appeared. Hope this doesn't lead to a ban.

And, for the record, I did like your post for the way it expressed my feelings in just a few words.

fulham traveller likes this.
  13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Traveller, I liked your post without also reporting you. Just saying... ;)

14. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

The penalty was a surprise, Mr Atkinson took a few seconds. Not helped by messages that there was doubt - since seen the evidence.
    Really pleased with the energy displayed to equalise but we did not take any of the chances throughout the game. It's all very well having our midfield scoring, but our attackers were not clinical enough to beat a superb Al Habsi.

Cottager58 likes this.
  15. Trowley_Fulham

Trowley_Fulham New Member

Hello, I'm fairly new to this - had the account, but have never posted! Absolutely gutted about the result; in a bit of daze today. Fingers crossed that Cairney isn't poached off us as we'd find it very difficult to replace him. Hopefully it'll be one more season in the championship and if not, then we should let him go.

Fulham COYW and GeraScores like this.
  16. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Trowley. Hope you felt better than me this morning, after last night's disappointment!
    Absolutely. If Cairney does give us a year, we would then owe it to him to let him go to his chosen team (rather than the highest bidder) next summer. Of course he could just leave anyway this summer, but I hope he sees the advantages of potentially taking us up.

Trowley_Fulham likes this.
  17. Trowley_Fulham

Trowley_Fulham New Member

I think the togetherness of the squad and the captaincy is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Struggle to get that and captaincy at Newcastle!

Cottager58 and Fulhaman like this.
  18. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It was one of those nights when Al Habsi had a blinder. Not always a lot you can do when a keeper is on top form.
    Looking back over the last few years, all I asked of a Fulham team is to be able to compete with the top teams in the division, and I think this season has proved they can. What next season brings with transfers in and out, who knows how that will effect the team, but let's hope we compete again and get better.

Can't say I can blame last nights Ref for not seeing the handball, but it does bring up the question is there a need for a video assistant Referee, and how to use it.
    But I still can't understand the Atwell decision on Saturdays game to play on firstly after a clear Reading foul and then the handball decision.

19. Cottager58

We had goal line technology for the first time in the Championship on Saturday and last night. And no, I'm not going to dwell on Leeds but surely with so much at stake there can't be more compelling reasons to extend video support for the match officials than those two dreadful decisions.

20. Fulham COYW

Welcome Trowley to the forum.

I got through the day at work, luckily the only Reading fan at work is on holiday for two weeks. Pleased to see Huddesfield in the final tonight. I do hope they go on to win next week as they seem to have a good bunch of fans, plus the championship next season is looking quite northern.