1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2015 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Is this a yes or no to ability only, or whether you'd rather that player be at saints (taking into account other factors such as age)?

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bit of both. I wasn't specifically thinking about us, and our style of play etc. And certainly I wasn't thinking about age.

Quite simplistically (just as a quick test of Saintmagic's opinion), I was just thinking whether each side had a striker who I rate more than Pelle.

4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I don't think Crouch for Stoke is a million miles away from Pelle's level.

Pelle would be fine as our second choice striker but if the club is going to achieve what they say they want to then he's not good enough to be first choice. I'd be delighted if we upgraded but I don't think we'll even try.

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Crouch is probably the most underrated striker in the PL, so not a bad comparison.

6. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Fair enough, age isn't on Pelle's side but think he is brings a lot more to us than many strikers at other teams. I also think he will have a very good second season, fine line between success and if a handful of the times he hit the woodwork the shot had been a few inches elsewhere we would be talking about him as being absolutely crucial and a top quality player. I my be wrong, but think we will see an even better player this season.

latviandream likes this.
  7. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Glad you don't pick the team then.

latviandream and NISaint like this.
  8. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I agree on Crouch. I've always thought he was a good striker, just not "first choice at a top 6 club" level.

9. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

As I wrote earlier - I think for a quick buy last summer Pelle was a good deal and got a good bag of goals for a first season in the EPL (he could have got lot more however). As St Bendy has highlighted there are better strikers in many of the other teams and, going forwards, we do need a striker with that natural ability that gets him in the right position; at that opportune and has the composure to score. Pelle does not have that ability, but I do think he is a good squad player and other players will feed off him.

10. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The only team I couldn't come up with an alternative was Newcastle, as **** as Pelle is Newcastles forward line is worse. As for the teams you've said no to

Stoke - crouch
    Palace - Gayle
    Leicester - krameric
    Sunderland - fletcher
    Hull - n'doye

"Pelle could've scored loads of goals if he didn't hit the woodwork so much" is possibly the stupidest argument I've ever heard. If we had had a good striker last year we would be sat here talking about plans for the champions league rather than europa

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I think Pelle (even at his age) can improve in his second EPL season at Saints. Luckily, he has learnt that if he has a drought he can come out of it and that Southampton fans generally are on your side and are willing you to score...he said himself that he wouldn't get that at other teams.

However, I think we have reached the level where we need a killer striker (like Lambert was)...trouble is that we'd only keep him for one season :( Hope they lock Mane up at night....I have great hopes for him. And looking forward to seeing JRod regaining form.

12. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

No,I think your last paragraph outstrips any alleged stupid argument from others.

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a joke. Fletcher? How many goals has he scored for Sunderland? I bet Pelle scored more than all those players put together last season.

14. Saintmagic

Please tell me how it is stupid? I would be delighted to hear your opinion.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Whilst football is a team game with both defence and attack needing to be on song, our greatest loss last season (and what really cost us) was losing Forster. Although the other keepers stepped up, I'm sure we'd have got a few more points with Forster in goal (affecting the whole defence and not just as a shot stopper) and if those points were against our rivals we would have got CL football. Of course, we will never know.

16. Saintmagic

Knowing that you do not share the same opinion only further convinces me that I am right

17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You're as far from right as Australia is from the North Pole.

latviandream likes this.
  18. Saintmagic

I agree to an extent, but we still had plenty of ability to win a few more games in our run in, and Pelle, imo, was a large part of the reason we didn't, more so than Kelvin/Gazza. As I mentioned before, the fact that there are strikers at virtually every other team who are better than Pelle is not good enough for a team supposedly trying to achieve what we are trying to.

19. Saintmagic

If we are talking about on a globe then it is about as far as Pelle came from scoring loads last year

20. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I think Saintmagic is having a funny turn.

Pelle got called up for Italy this year, scored double figures in his first Saints campaign, plays an important role in our build up play and further increases the SFC devilishly handsome quotient.

What's not to like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.