1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2015 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Saintmagic, do you really rate Kramaric, Fletcher, or N'Doye above Pelle? Really? Or even Gayle at the present time, sure he's got potential in excess of Pelle, but he's not proved as much so far.

As others have said, think you're being excessively harsh on Graziano, and hope you're eating humble pie this time next year.

My counter-thoughts as follows:
    * It was his first PL season, many foreign imports improve 2nd season.
    * He played a lot of games without competition for his place. J-Rod being back fit may allow us to rest him occasionally.
    * His dip in form coincided with his main supplier Tadic being out injured.
    * Goals are not the only thing to judge a striker on. His movement is good for a big man, and he seems to help create spaces unselfishly for players like Mane, or Long running off him.
    * He hit the woodwork a lot, proving he was at least in the right position a lot to get a shot off. Yep, he's not the perfect 'finisher', but neither was J-Rod when we bought him in his first season, and he improved a lot 2nd season.
    * He's become a full Italian international on the back of the performances you don't like. I'd (with the greatest respect) tend to trust Conte & Koeman's opinions more than anyone on here.
    * His/the whole team's dip in results also came after dec/jan which coincides with both fixture build up, and just as much, players like Clyne and Schneiderlin's agents doing their job for their clients in advance of the summer. We didn't dominate those last 10-15 games or create chances at quite the same rate as early season either, so Pelle had fewer chances to finish.
    * Lastly, he doesn't take pens unlike a lot of the other strikers listed and that alone has to be worth 3-4 goals a season depending on team.

The above all being said, I would like another striker competing for his role in addition to J-Rod as we're yet to see any of the others do it in that role, and with Pelle fit I think Jay's role will still be starting on the left.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He scored a lot more than the players on your list. He scored 16, the 5 players you listed scored 33 between them. Fletcher scored 5, Kramaric 3 and N'Doye 5 and yet you'd prefer them. <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

latviandream likes this.
  3. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

I think you have been drinking early today,when you are in a fit state to drive read your post and think about it.

I believe players and games seem different depending on where you are sat,to call Pelle any derogatory name after that season is plain silly. By chance do you leave the bar during games ?

4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

How many goals did Pelle score in the time kramaric and n'doye were in the prem (they joined in January as I'm sure you know)? I thought we were much better than teams like Sunderland, Leicester and hull last year so you'd assume that our (only) striker would score more than the guys you've listed, put any of them in our side last year and I would fancy them to outscore Pelle.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

You might want to look at the facts of goals scored.....
    He scored more than Rooney,RVP,Bony,Cisse,Ings,Lukakau,Sakho in the premier league........crap he is not.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Game set and match.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't - Fletcher and N'Doye are **** and Kramaric is very unproven. Pelle had a rough spell but none of those players could score a goal like Pelle's against QPR.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

And Mane was in there with a very handy ten. :) Pelle shouldn't have been so foolish as to score an initial clutch of goals....he should have spread them out and then people wouldn't form this erroneous idea that he was a poor scorer. He missed quite a few (inc. hitting the woodwork), so that means that he was in the right place, so hopefully will get even more this season. :)

8. saintrichie123

I agree Fran and what with this going to be his 2nd season he will just get better and better, for £6m he was an excellent buy.
    Looking forward to Juanmi to giving Pelle some healthy competition albeit he plays from the wing but wants to,play through the centre.

9. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Massive difference in physicality and style of play between those two though. Juanmi is surely, in most likely order, going to play 1) Support striker, 2) Attacking central midfielder, 3) Out and out striker on his own up top?

10. saintrichie123

......................................Tadic............
    Mane ...........................................................JayRod
    ..................................Pelle/ Juanmi..........

Could even put JayRod or Mane through the centre with Juanmi going on the wing.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

Hi all,

Been reading the forum for a long time but only just putting my first post on! Signed up a few years ago when the server load was high around transfer deadline day so i could read the Gaston transfer thread :azn:

My view is that all of this talk of who is a better player is irrelevant, the important question is how they would contribute to our team playing in our system (or secondary systems so we have a plan B). Saying that a player who scored loads of goals for a team lower down the table will score more for us is a dangerous assumption.

Lambert moved to a team who were higher in the table, does it mean he would do better for Liverpool? Nope, Lambert doesn't fit Liverpools system. Has Lovren done better? In the Saints team Lovren could fly out of defense and attack the ball as he had lots of cover with defensive midfielders/Fonte, he doesn't have that in Liverpools system and it doesn't suit the way he plays.

With every transfer Saints will weigh up if a player will fit into the way we play and if they fit our purchasing strategy (value for money/able to improve), by having the scouting system to be able to do this we can punch above our weight. Going out and buying other players just because they are better can cause way more problems than it solves if they don't fit the system you want to play.

I would personally take a good player who fits the system rather than a very good one who doesn't. It's about how they fit the team not about the individual.

On the subject of Pelle I believe he is a very good player who was bought in as Koeman knows he fits the system he wants to play, he is good at bringing other players into the game and can get on the end of crosses. He has his faults but so does almost every player if you watch them week in week out.

To sum up, I know that if we go for a player it is because the board believe they fit our system/strategy and will improve the team, if we don't it is because they don't.

(sorry for the length of the post, will try to be more focused when making a point in the future! :cheesy:)

12. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that Pelle is not the chief responsible for our lack of goals in the second half of the season. We created very little as a team. I think most of the attackers mentioned here, bar a few like Aguero who can craft chances for themselves, would fare any better than Pelle in that period.

13. saintrichie123

Welcome Shenanigans to the forum and please keep posting, you have made some good points.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Don't forget Pellè had at least two goals that I can remember ruled out incorrectly for offside, plus of course his first against Sunderland which was ruled as an own goal. There may have been others that I can't recall. He also got a couple of assists. Graziano did better than pull his weight last year, definitely my kind of **** player.

15. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Welcome Shenanigans good opening post....... even more like it would possibly be just as welcome!

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Welcome to the forum Shenanigans!

17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans New Member

Thanks for the friendly welcome, now I have started I will have to post more often as showing 2 posts in nearly 3 years makes me look a bit slack :azn:

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Try and catch up with me. :)

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Some may know that I have given some critical comments to Pelle during the season as although I love how he works in our team, I don't think he's that great a player. However, I'd never go as far as Saintmagic has done. Really unfair.

20. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Love the idea of Mane playing off Pelle. He did it wonderfully at Selhurst and, more obviously, against Villa. Those 2 could be exceptional now an understanding has been forged but I'd very much bill Mane as the main man next year

Libby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.