1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2017 Grand National Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

It's The Last Samuri for me all the way. Always liked the horse, and Rooneys comments after last years event are Fresh in my mind. He said they were delighted with the run, but it was just a rehearsal for this year!!!

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  3. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust that Wayne Rooney Mick. Heck of a footballer but a very dodgy tipster to say the least.

mick the jolly sailor likes this.
  4. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

image.jpg

5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Look to the 'first time runners.' Not too many horses go back to Aintree and win. Sure Hedgehunter, Red Rum, Team Spirit, Red Alligator, but not many others in the last 60 years. Plus the race attracts many more better class first time entrants nowadays.
    My initial fancies are More Of That and Foxrock.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I put Foxrock up on another GN thread somewhere on here Tam as well. My suspicions were raised when I saw Ted running him in average hunter chases...I knew then he would be keeping him away from ruining his mark for this. This is the race Ted loves the most and having won it previously with Papillon he knows what It takes to be competitive. Will run a huge race if safely negotiating his way around.

Often a waste of time over analysing the GN as it can all come undone in a split second. 2 or 3 small bets and hope you get around close enough to be in with a shout come the end.

I remember me and my friend studying the form back In 2009 for what seemed like hours over a few coffee's at his house before placing our bets...his mother rang him at the time and said put 10 euro each way on Mon Mome "I like the name" and the rest is history as they say!

Chaninbar likes this.
  7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree STH, waste of time studying the form. I gave up after several hours. Most of these horses will be going a mile or more further than they have ever gone. Who's to know how much difference the extra mile will make, never mind the fences

8. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Totally agree with a few small speculations STH. Mine are Vicente (loyalty bet as was on when he won Scottish National) Houblon Des Obeaux (grand horse, never seems to run a bad race and well weighted if he gets the extra mile) and Ballynagour (was just getting into the race in 2016 when capsizing at 19th. Looked to me like he got a bit squeezed for room as he'd jumped soundly up until that point. Down 9lb from 2016 rating too) @ 25s, 33s and 66s respectively all NRNB.

9. Gazman982

Gazman982 Active Member

Hello . Does anyone have information on horses that have previously ran in the grand national (not winning it) who have then gone on to win the grand national in the following years ?

10. Gazman982

Gazman982 Active Member

Oops just saw this m

Tamerlo said:
    Look to the 'first time runners.' Not too many horses go back to Aintree and win. Sure Hedgehunter, Red Rum, Team Spirit, Red Alligator, but not many others in the last 60 years. Plus the race attracts many more better class first time entrants nowadays.
    My initial fancies are More Of That and Foxrock.

Cheers . Thats what i was after

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There are bound to be some up to date stats but some from 2012 showed that
    "Given that 4 of the first 7 last year, 5 of the first 6 in 2010, and 7 of the previous 10 winners had previously contested a race over these fences, and that 5 of the last 9 Grand National winners had run in the previous years' race, it seems clear that there is still an "Aintree factor" to consider, despite the modifications to the fences in recent years.

12. Gazman982

Gazman982 Active Member

Interesting stats ron cheers for that

13. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Only twice in the past 10 years has a horse who had previously run in the GN won it (Mon Mome and The Silver Birch) and none have achieved this feat since ’09. The last 7 winners all had their first run in the GN the day they obliged.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Thrice if you go back a couple more years to Hedgehunter though. Which makes for quite an arresting stat imo.

I will probably go for Saphir du Rheu because I like the name though.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This thread, which indexes all threads related to the 2017 Grand National can, if required, be located via The 2016/17 National Hunt Season which remains a sticky

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator