1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

It's good to talk - if you can afford it - if not you can always get a loan from 118118 ( it will only cost you an arm and a leg )

Well - my mother has certainly been 'milked' - it won't happen again !https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...vKFZw7rl73UWa5hI5qrO3P8p0XC4gAJDjspV7fuxcPzsu

If you can magnify the font it's worth reading - just in case you ever feel the urge to use 118118 to find a telephone number.

My mother has just had her monthly BT telephone bill. It shows a charge of £7.09 ( without connection cost ), for using 118118 to find a phone number (ONCE)............... All this on top of her costs for an 'anytime' package.
    I don't expect the enquiry service to be free ( wasn't 192 wonderful ? ) - but ( and especially as mum is already a BT customer ), the charge for using 118118 is outrageous -- when you consider that the information can be found on the internet.

This comes a couple of days after she paid SAGA for a renewal of home and contents insurance that was over 300% more than several prices I found on the 'meerkat' site - and she could have got cashback and free cinema tickets.

Next time I will make sure that her fingers will do the walking.

2. alwaysright

And today's idiot is .... Therese Coffey ( Environment minister )
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37654584

I can't wait to see electric cars being allowed to travel against the flow on one-way roads, or to be given priority at traffic lights. Of course it won't cause confusion !

Now - please don't get me wrong. The idea has got 'legs'. I have driven a lot in the USA - and greatly appreciated being able to turn right on a red traffic light - but - this was on roads that are wide enough. The same won't work in the tight roads in Britain. The same tight roads is the main reason why a lot of them are one way streets.

Ms Coffey's idea can only succeed if our current roads can be widened --- that's not going to happen. In the meantime we don't need more opportunities for drivers to display their deficiencies behind the wheel. Far too many already 'jump' red lights - or are asleep when they change to green........ and as for roundabout cretins - don't get me started.

WINDYROG likes this.
  3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Most grammar schools 'not prioritising poor pupils'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37679722

One of the most misguided and stupid headlines the BBC has run for ages.

Why should grammar schools prioritise poor pupils? Surely they should be prioritising able pupils, regardless of background?

4. alwaysright

Tim
    The leader of Kent County Council is in favour of a German system - where kids are recommended for 'higher' education by their teacher - I think one of your sobriquets will be needed - 'teacher's pet' --- as for me - that'll be the naughty step !

5. alwaysright

They only had one set of tongs !

I've just returned from a 'late' holiday ( I didn't spoil it by checking for any football results ).

I flew with British Airways. On our journey home I noticed something that, if remedied, would improve the efficiency of the catering service..... a second set of tongs ( 50 pence at most ).

There was a stewardess on either side of the 'trolley', simultaneously dispensing food and drink to passengers respectively nearest to them - that was fine, and helped to speed things up --- but what I couldn't understand was why there was only one set of tongs for the stewardesses to share as each tried to give ice with drinks ? It was embarrassingly painful to watch one stewardess waiting for her turn with the tongs - trying to pick up ice cubes which were rapidly turning to water.

6. alwaysright

FIFA should be ashamed of themselves.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37832115

I am disgusted with the decision by FIFA not to allow armbands with poppies for the England v Scotland game. I cannot see how poppies depict anything concerning religion, politics or advertising ( the reasons why FIFA will not permit logos on kits ) - but let's put that to one side.

FIFA should feel ashamed that they have no dignity for the victims war - the sort of people who have fought for the comparative freedom which is enjoyed by the modern World. Many of the victims sacrificed their lives for our 'freedom.' Others were cruelly tortured before summary execution - including many children.

I have just returned from a 'late' holiday. I actually went to Poland. I had a nice time ( thank you ). I had a bit of a tour and saw much beauty in the country. I also took the opportunity to visit Auschwitz. I saw some horrible evidence of cruelty by the Nazis ( especially, but not specifically towards Jews ) - and went into the infamous gas chamber.

The World should never be allowed to forget what happened in WW2. A little respect for the victims of war is the least that should be given - the poppy is our symbol of respect and gratitude for the poor souls who gave their lives for my freedom - and others brutally treated before being butchered.

FIFA - you are a disgrace to humanity !

WINDYROG likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I guess there is no need for me to reiterate my thoughts on the bunch of greedy good for nothing crooks at FIFA. There is probably more political agenda's in that crooked little deceitful web of theirs than any poppy could ever replicate. But as i say, i'll withhold my thoughts <laugh>

WINDYROG likes this.
  8. alwaysright

9. brb

brb CR250

Now this is what i call passion not like the bunch of roll about pussies we have these days...

upload_2016-11-9_8-57-18.gif upload_2016-11-9_8-57-18.gif

10. alwaysright

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

11. alwaysright

Yesterday, the inmates were threatened by the prison Governor, that if they didn't behave they would be punished

Those found not to be following the rules would be made to watch BT Sports at 7.45pm. The compliant prisoners would receive the same punishment - but granted permission to wet themselves laughing. Anyone caught tying to 'break out' of prison during the program, would have to report to a probation officer inside Priestfield every other Saturday afternoon.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-38008691

It certainly seems that prison life is a happy life ! Gills fans have done nothing wrong for the punishment we endure - and for which we have to pay !

WINDYROG and grumpygit like this.
  12. alwaysright

Merry Christmas - especially to those who have any money left after Black Friday !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38036670

I'm sorry - It's that time of the year again - you know - the season of goodwill to all men ( and women and children ). It's the time of the year when we become philanthropic -- as long as it's not going to cost us more than an average of about 65 pence -- PENCE ! - Well I wouldn't want you to deprive yourself from splashing out on Black Friday or the mountain of stuff for Christmas - not forgetting to save a little for the January sales ( as you book your 2017 holiday ).

I've said before that, in Britain, in the 21st century, we have a benefit system that should ensure that no child should be 'in need'. Regrettably it seems that we do need to have the yearly C i N event - to raise cash for kids who have become disadvantaged -- BUT -- do we really care ? The amount raised last night ( £46M ), is good -- but, on average is only about 65 pence each ! -- probably the sum of the loose coins in you pocket - hardly a benevolent gesture!

I am extremely grateful that I do not have any financial difficulties . I also appreciate that this is not the case for everyone - so my message isn't directed at families who genuinely cannot afford to give to charities - but - are there any families in that category - who won't be spending huge amounts of money on crap this Christmas - I bet they'll be spending more than 65 pence on a present for their pet goldfish !

........ it's no wonder that people say that 'charity begins at home.'
    ps - I know I 'waste' much of my had earned income on GFC - but I do subscribe to a number of charities - and it's a lot more than 65 pence, ( and I haven't deprived my family )...... come on everybody - let's go mad - let's give a £. - the children need it.

13. brb

brb CR250

Something I've argued for years, the government is finally getting publicity on looking at the laws and it's sentencing, and it is still being rightly argued that we are not going far enough.

In our health conscious decade we see laws outstretched at banning smoking, we see laws that are clamping down on the consumption of alcohol, these are all luxuries in life we enjoy, or I do anyway, yet particularly smoking we are told it harms others by death.

If you were to walk down the street with a knife, you would be seen as threatening and probably arrested. Crime with a knife increases your sentence by several years automatically.

So why is it something all of us do is exempt from the same rules in the minds of many.....driving a vehicle!

It is regarded as an acceptable consequence of life, much like the non wearing of seat belts used to be many a year ago, much like non wearing of a crash helmet on a motorbike, rules to protect our own safety more so than that of others.

However, having driven many a mile in my years, I've seen endless people use their vehicles basically as weapons, tenfold worse than that of a knife on a daily basis, I used to regard in my driving days the M25 as the killing fields, where maiming, injury and death were an everyday acceptable way of life.

People are not going to change, we need to enforce change, regardless of whether it is your fault or not, if you injure someone with a vehicle it is about time the legal book was thrown at you, it's the only way to protect life from those careless in their tin box without any regards to the dangers that driving four wheels can cause.

It's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about what you could have done to avoid being involved in such instances through awareness and your own selflessness towards human life.

If you are involved in an accident that affects another being, then your driving ability should be questioned, yes, you may have passed a test, but a test never measures your mental ability to drive nor does it protect us from the knife and life syndrome when your foot sole presses a pedal. One carries a heavy sentence so why should not the other.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  14. alwaysright

brb
    The simple answer to your question is one of politics!
    We live in a free society.......... Perhaps we have too much improper freedom !
    People value their democratic rights ( which seems to make them think that everyone else should be tolerant of their mistakes - but - I won't accept yours ! ). Our law makers and judges are too afraid to impose proper punishment for serious crimes for a variety of reasons. Over crowded prisons is often cited as a reason for ridiculous leniency. Then you get 'sob stories' in court - when the accused will put on a smart suit - state that they didn't mean to drive badly - - they were late going to a charity fund raiser - they had to swerve to avoid a kitten etc etc - basically any mitigation they can think of - which cannot be disproved. The same excuses are used for every type of offence ( not just bad driving ).

I also believe that driving offences are 'naturally' mitigated in our society - because motorists are punished by all the taxes imposed on them in every day life ---- do you really think that a driver is then going to deliberately drive like an idiot ? - " it was an accident " please ignore the fact that I didn't use common sense = accidents may not be avoidable - bad driving is !

15. brb

brb CR250

I'm not sure what the answer is but if drivers were immediately suspended for a period of time after an accident, until the insurance companies decided how they wish to calculate the percentage of blame they might learn to apply common sense.

Then what ever percentage is applied is how long you are suspended from driving. Of course legal shisters will try to pass blame, but the longer they wish to argue then the longer the suspended sentence is applied until the sentence itself can be applied with no recompense for time served.

Tell yer what, I bet a lot of people would learn to drive a damn sight better immediately overnight.

I just think careless drivers have gone untouched for far too long and it has become an acceptable face in our society, well in the same way smoking has been frowned on and in the same way football hooligans were dealt with, why should drivers remain untouched, after all they drive a potential killing machine!

16. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

You should try driving in Cyprus! The following advice appears on our Dept of Transport web site under the section ' Advice about driving on the Island.'
    'You should not take anything for granted. do not assume that any sign in your favour will be complied with.'

17. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Old timer.....that last sentence speaks volumes.

I have been involved in 'Road Safety' all of my working life and for the last 7 years working overseas in a variety of countries with differing cultures and values for various companies, organisations and governments.

1.3 million die on the roads globally and road traffic incidents are the largest single killer of males in the 17-25 yr age bracket. There are 39 million vehicles on the road in the UK whereas there were 'only' 13 million in the mid 80s...with little improvement or greater mileage in the infrastructure.....and the love affair with the car continues.

The driving test is basic with no insight into the driver's character or potential character...how can there be? We are not yet (thankfully) living in the days that the film the 'Minority Report' portrayed whereby 'future crimes' were identified. The human being is a fairly basic creature and like (dare I say it) when there are 8 rats in a cage designed for 8 there are no problems, however stick another few rats in the cage and the 'equilibrium' of nature will prevail.

I have taught / trained drivers and riders to 'full' advanced level as well as total beginners and managed fleet and 'field' safety programmes (vehicles and plant). There is no 'quick fix' or silver bullet and until the vagary of the human personality is removed from the equation and / or a robust and fit for purpose 'management scheme' is in place the situation is not likely to improve.

In the meantime, stay safe, concentrate, and remember ...a 'right of way' can never be taken, only given and never assume anything.

Let's try and have a safe Christmas on the roads.

18. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Very interesting post Windy. obviously touched a cord of something close to your heart. Spread the word and keep up the good work.
    You mentioned the word culture.For example, here in Cyprus people do not thank acknowledge you if you were to let them out. (Unless they are 'Charleys i.e
    Cypriots who have worked /studied/lived in UK) So newly arrive ex pats think they are rude and ungrateful because they do not understand that
    this is the culture here.
    In the meantime I will travel by plane where possible and try to be a 'defensive' driver, well most of the time anyway.

19. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Ha...the 'thank you' wave when one lets another driver through (as in the UK) is also a non starter here in France. However, cyclists and motor cyclists are treated with total respect....we cannot have it all eh?

Have a good Christmas and let's hope Santa brings the Gills lots of points over the holiday period!!

20. brb

brb CR250

Yeah what is this thank you wave all about in the UK....my right of way and someone expects me to say thank you for letting me thru, crazy. Alternatively, they don't give right of way and you give them a two finger salute :)

Rules are simple, if it's a lorry give it a wide berth, having been side shunted by one it is a painful experience, also motorbikes, just give way to them or kill a human.

Simples see :)