1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

There are so many things that wind me up on UK roads it's all about where to start.
    Why do we still build roads without dedicated cycle tracks, I don't mean a painted white line.
    Why do pedestrians walk in a diagonal line when crossing the road, it's simple, step off the kerb and take the shortest route to the opposite kerb.
    why do manufacturers waste money on indicators, if wearing a seatbelt is law, then why not using indicators, especially on roundabouts.
    Why do people think they have the right of way on a roundabout before they are on it, give way to traffic "on the roundabout" to the right, it doesn't mention the approach road, that's called a T junction or cross road.
    Drink driving would see you banned from driving, so why is using a mobile (thought to be the 2nd biggest cause of accidents after drink) only a small fine.
    When did amber traffic lights become a speed up and get through fast signal.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit
    Thanks for 'bumping up' a pet subject of mine. In ARGS thread we've covered just about all the poor habits of motorists ( and pedestrians ) - and still each example makes my blood boil a little.

Each indiscretion is an act of selfishness - which is a disease in our World. I say 'disease' because eventually it affects nearly all of us ! Another persons 'unpunished' selfishness eventually perpetuates our own selfishness - to restore 'parity.' This 'vengeance' only adds to the overall problems....... I've always said that two wrongs do not make one 'right' - they make two wrongs to make right !

Nobody acts in a selfish was as to intend to cause disastrous consequences. The selfish act is done with little ( if any ), thought for anyone else. It is people acting without common sense - and then expecting society to have mercy on them when things turn out wrong.
    Having compassion for a sinner is all very well - but when we don't have properly enforced deterrent, it is no wonder that the same offences are repeated by the same offenders.

The real nonsense regarding a lack of justice occurs in court ! I have attended several different court cases, ( as witness or out of curiosity ). In a previous post I mentioned mitigation. You should go to listen to a court case. The mitigation / sob story that comes out when ( if), the defendant is 'found' to be guilty, would have you wetting yourself with incredulity - and the magistrates and judges fall for it every time - and hand out 'punishment' totally disproportionate to the crime ( and often with no real consideration for the affect on the victim of the crime). Mitigation is often in the form of implied idiocy of the defendant - as if being stupid, or having no common sense is an excuse for selfishness or crime................ and it works !

We have an expression 'The Law is an ass.' I would amend this and say 'Justice is an arse.'

3. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

BRB.....yep it is simple and I do recognise your amusing take on it :)

Any death on the road is one too many.....so why so many?

Anyway....I'm not going to clog the site up with too much of this subject. Bon Vacances..... ;-)

4. WINDYROG

Always....as always you are right!!

I had the job of dealing with the unsavoury side of road incidents for many years and the courts are way off track. The penalties DO exist for these offences...check out Sweet and Maxwell's Road Traffic Law and see the penalties available for yourself. HOWEVER it is the 'Guidelines' (Ho ho) that are sent down by the Home Office that sets the level of penalties we see being given.

Magistrates.....Ha again. The day we actually have magistrates that are drawn from the core of the society that they are supposed to serve will be a step in the right direction. Having Lady Fffffiona- Smythe on the bench when she would be more at home judging cakes at a Midsomer country fair is about as much use as me having an ashtray on my motorcycle!

Also.....you've got to get caught doing something wrong first and with the overnight reduction in road policing (75% in Sussex in 2003.......and still in decline if that is possible) there is the recipe for anarchy on the roads.....

Rant over on here.......but not in my professional life.

Have a safe Christmas on the roads my friends.

alwaysright likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

I remember there being a road survey once before the days of speed cameras, because of the increased numbers of speeding motorists. The survey identified that despite numerous complaints from locals about speeders passing through their villages and towns, checks identified that it was in fact them very locals that were the offenders and not outside travellers, i did find it rather amusing at the time.

6. WINDYROG

Oh that happened so often.....I could tell some stories ;-)

7. alwaysright

8. alwaysright

and I thought watching Gills was a waste of time !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38334437

The idea is to find out if thee's an elegant way of eating pies ! ( certainly not the ones at Priestffield )

.......... I spared you the obvious title : 'Pie in the sky'.................... ( I'll get my coat )

9. alwaysright

Pakistan take 'Christ' out of Christmas !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38222680

If you've finished your mad scramble to buy enough food for an army( for one day ), this story is worth a read. It might provoke you into actually having a thought about the origin of this time of the year - and about somebody who was executed for wanting to do good for people. In January, the woman in this story will find out if she is also to be executed for daring to share a cup of water with people of a different religion !.....................................................

............................... Well - isn't that just the spirit of Christmas ! ( I thought that, among other things, it was meant to be a time of goodwill to all ).

The story gives examples of persecution and indiscriminate murder of Christians in the World - it makes you wonder if Mankind is any better than animals -- at least they need to kill to eat - Mankind slaughters its' innocent victims in the name of religion. Hypocrites.

And talking of hypocrisy - I expect that Pakistan won't be slow in asking for International aid the next time it suffers a natural disaster. Should I tell Pakistan that if it needs water to ask a woman locked in one of their prisons - she won't need it if they are willing to execute her for an act of kindness.

10. alwaysright

I blame it on the snow

When did 'slippy' become acceptable ? I understand that it is an adjective - but what a poor example of sloppy English ( or I could create a new adjective and call it sloppery ). The correct expression should be 'slippery.' The use of 'slippy' by such people as weather forecasters is an example of laziness.

Another one is the advert for Yorkshire Tea. In the advert the chap refers to things being done 'proper' in Yorkshire --except being able to speak the English language properly. The word 'proper' is a noun, not an adjective !

What next - the BBC News being read in text message language ? -- oh well - I must now go and sweep away the snow off my driveway - before it becomes too slippy.

11. brb

brb CR250

Yo wots up bro :)

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always you should know that people from Yorkshire have their own language, unlike people from Kent, whose use of the English language is perfick.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  13. WINDYROG

As in 'Edge'og Pie....... :emoticon-0103-cool:

14. Gil Lingam

Gil Lingam ex-pat

Defiantly ...

15. alwaysright

15% won't be enough to pay for a new prison !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-38678629
    --

( don't bother reading all the article ) -- it's basically about Surrey Council wanting to increase Council Tax by 15%..............................

Are they mad ? ............. do they honestly think it's fair ? - especially when the National inflation rate is 'only ' 1.6% with Consumer inflation at 2.5%............ how can the loonies in charge justify ridiculous increases - especially when wages are only 2.5% up on last year (( apparently - not that I was rewarded with any rise )) -- and pensioners on fixed incomes haven't got a chance.

Surrey Council are going to need to raise the Council Tax by more 15% - to build a new prison for all the defaulters.

16. brb

brb CR250

In general the BBC are near enough right with the final proposed increase figure, but getting to it's total I think someone needs to give their reporter, firstly a pair of specs and secondly a calculator :)

17. brb

brb CR250

Anyway in regards to a Band D they could always move home hahaha i feel a cold breeze coming my way tonight ;)

18. alwaysright

19. alwaysright

20. alwaysright

O.B.E
    Ant & Dec were 'decorated' today with an O.B.E !!!! I don't doubt they are perfectly charming people - but what significant contribution to humanity have they provided ?

Today is the commemoration of the survivors of the Holocaust......... you know -- when so many millions were executed -- and who, together with their families were instrumental in ridding the World of a wicked EVIL regime. I wonder how many of these " nobodys " have been awarded a medal.

O.B.E ............. O Bloody 'Ell <doh>