1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Has anyone else seen the news today, a father who took his daughter out of school for a holiday, is fighting against the fine imposed. Teachers stated that education is too important and missing even a single day is harmful for the child.
    I guess they would support fines for striking teachers then.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Why do they have to have additional days for 'teacher training'.
    Why are there no meaningful lessons after annual exams are finished - usually well before the end of term.
    Why ( usually in primary schools ), is December dedicated to singing carols and rehearsing a Nativity play.
    Why is exclusion from school an appropriate option of 'punishment' - ( echoing grumpygit's sentiment ).

3. alwaysright

Not only Gills are guilty of clerical errors - the Law is indeed an ass !

A program ( factual ) which I watched last night.

So - your brother owes somebody ( unconnected to you ), some money- but doesn't pay the debt. Eventually the creditor goes to the High Court - it issues a writ and the sheriffs come knocking - on your door - because dear brother gave your address - oh, and your name ! You tell the sheriffs that the matter is none of your business - there has been a mistake with the details on the writ. The sheriffs don't believe your innocence - but you insist your position.

Eventually one of the sheriffs makes a call to his office - whilst another sheriff clamps your car as security for the unpaid debt - which you don't owe.
    The sheriffs then are told by their office that there has been a mistake with the writ - the wrong name has been inserted - it should have been your brother, and the sheriffs' office have established that you owe nothing to the creditor. There has been a clerical error at the High Court.

So what do you think happened next ?........................................... Naturally you would expect that the sheriffs might apologise to you, but perhaps protest their innocence and unclamp your car - then bid you farewell .............................. Well you would be wrong.................. Things get worse for you !

I forgot to mention that your car is used by you for your job - it is a taxi -- you earn your living through it -- or rather, you did - until the sheriffs knocked on your door !

Despite acknowledging the writ was a mistake - that the wrong name featured on it and that you are perfectly innocent -------- the sheriffs insisted that they had the authority of the writ to seize your car - until the debt ( which the sheriffs now understand is NOT yours ), is paid - or the car will be sold to settle the debt.

What is more --- the sheriffs exercised their 'authority ' - and you are left without your car, and subsequently lose your job and have no money ( and the sheriffs still expect you to pay the debt - that they gladly admit you DON'T owe ! )

It takes you a week, and the expense of a solicitor to resolve the matter - to revoke the writ, and have your car returned to you. The High Court's office pay your legal fees - but quibble about your claim for loss of earnings - before settling the amount ( you have to tell them that you would be sending your team of sheriffs if you don't get your money back ).

No wonder they say the Law is an ass --------- it's just as well the writ wasn't a death warrant ! ---- " Yes Sir, we know you didn't commit the crime - but this piece of paper, even though we now know has mistakenly got your name on, means that we can execute you -- now, if you don't mind slipping this noose over your head...."

grumpygit likes this.
  4. alwaysright

Keep death off the roads - drive on the pavement !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

So - if you are 'flashed' by a camera whilst speeding, you might as well drive like a lunatic for the next few weeks ( or months ) - get all the offences heard at one court hearing - spout a sob story - and still be allowed to repeat the process of potential carnage - in the full knowledge that you can tell the same load of testicles at the next court hearing ( for many more offences ) - and still carry on driving !...........................................................................................................

................... I wonder if it would work for murder ?? -- " Well I've killed one person - I might as well make it a dozen - if I get caught I'll plead poverty - you never know - the judge might not let me loose to kill again - he / she wouldn't be that stupid "

Isn't our British justice wonderful ?

5. brb

brb CR250

I think part the problem now is that in some UK areas the average speed camera's are even covering 70mph stretches of 'A' roads (dual carriageways). Yet if you think about it on motorways 80mph is not frowned upon by the public or the officials, it's basically overlooked. So you can hit an 'A' road that is basically as good if not better than some motorway stretches and creep over your 10% from the start of camera point 1 to the last camera in the sequence (it measures the entire distance, not each point) without realising it. Let's not forget we want drivers to keep their eyes on the road, not on their speedo.

But having said all that I do absolutely agree it is ridiculous, 12 points should be the cap and no more.

6. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

SPECS or average speed cameras are designed to prevent the anomaly of 'ghost jams' which are caused by those who speed up 'twixt camera points (on the traditional roads e.g., M25) and then change lanes at the last second which causes heavy braking and the creation of these 'jams'.

Have you never been on a stretch of motorway to be stuck and then to move on with no apparent cause for the hold up? SPECS may not be perfect but do at least allow the traffic to continue. With 39 million vehicles on the road in the UK (a mere 13 million in the mid 80s) control is a necessity especially without the three fold increase in available road mileage being needed to return to those heady days of the 80s.

Considered use of 'cruise control' helps retain one's compliance of the speed limits. Make no mistake, driving one's own car for pleasure is becoming a diminishing 'pass time' and the levels of concentration needed are increasing all the time.

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) guidelines on the implementation of speeding penalties puts the threshold at 10% + 2mph hence the apparent acceptance of 80 (ish) mph.
    These are guidelines .........

Bottom line...when you get behind the wheel of any vehicle the responsibility for your actions rests with you. Hope this doesn't sound too pompous..

Tip for the day.......invest in a decent quality 'dash cam' and if your budget extends to it, one that faces to the rear as well.

7. alwaysright

My brother said he managed to beat Mrs Hitler - but I'm not so sure !

Yesterday my brother helped our elderly mother to attend a clinic. As a result mum needed a prescription for her [new] medical condition. The clinic stated that the prescription would have to come from her doctor. To assist mum's doctor the clinic handed my brother a report of her examination - with the name of the medicine required and its' dosage.
    My brother then took this to mum's GP surgery. He showed the report to the receptionist - Mrs.Hitler ( mum's GP records would show the referral to the clinic - and Mrs.Hitler would be able to view this on her computor - so we were not making things up !). My brother asked for the GP to write up the appropriate prescription -details which could be e mailed to her pharmacy ( along with her other regular medicine ).......... Sensible - Yes ? -- not a chance !
    Mrs.Hitler ( no medical qualification ) said that mum would have to see her GP - and - she would have to telephone the next day to make an appointment !!! Brother stated that mum didn't need to see the doctor - it was he who referred her to the clinic " You have the details on record - she just needs the medicine they advised - we only need a prescription - anything else would be wasting everyone's time."
    Mrs.Hitler checked her computor - and must have seen that my brother was stating facts - but not wishing to be beaten she insisted that the GP might want to see my mum before writing a prescription. - and - she should telephone in the morning for an appointment. My brother argued that this was unnecessary - the sensible thing would be for the GP to read the [short] report and to quickly conclude that all that was needed was for mum's pharmacy to be notified re the additional medicine.............
    Do you think my brother could get through to Mrs.Hitler ? - he might as well have been speaking in German ! NO - she would not be moved - your mum must see the doctor - she needs to telephone in the morning for an appointment. !!!!!!
    My brother had to concede that mum was compelled to see her doctor - but he then challenged Mrs. Hitler on the surgery appointment procedure - He asked why it was necessary to telephone in the morning to get an appointment. " Because that is the procedure" was the reply from Mrs.Hitler. Brother stated that it was always difficult for mum to get a reply whenever she called -and often told that an appointment wasn't available for two or three days. Mrs. Hitler said it was because all the appointment slots were taken by the time mum 'got through.'
    My brother was getting frustrated. He asked Mrs.Hitler "Who is responsible for allocating the appointment slots when a patient telephones." Mrs. Hitler said " Me, I look at what's available - it's first come, first serve." Brother said he felt like banging his head against a wall. He told Mrs. Hitler that it was utterly stupid to expect mum to have to phone in the morning - for an- (unnecessary) appointment that could be allocated NOW. Mrs.Hitler then conceded that it might be 'helpful' to my mum to agree to book the appointment that afternoon........................................................
    ................................. it transpired that mum's GP didn't want to see mum - he e mailed the pharmacy to get the additional medicine added to the list !!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. brb

brb CR250

The dreaded lit up keep left bollards, it seems like an alien infestation of them, the plastic square blobs are popping up many a stretch of urban road near you...they seem to be having a strange affect though, once straight roads have now become all wibbly wobbly and traffic islands are appearing at every 500yds. What with the enormous holes appearing in our road, I swear we are all going to be sucked in to an abyss as the electricity generates thousands up on thousands of bulbs to light up that white arrow on a blue background, so it leaves me with one question...

HOW MUCH DOES ALL THIS ROAD SAFETY COST! When we cannot even afford to repair the roads :)

Keep left or die!

9. brb

brb CR250

So it appears the Government blocked a move by Harrogate labour run council from banning smoking in beer gardens

It appears the discrimination against smokers continues, but for once common sense prevailed as it was predicted as the final nail in the coffin for pubs if this ban got the go ahead.

10. alwaysright

What price loyalty ?

Yesterday 4 of my family went to a local pub - for a lunchtime meal (with our drinks). We all decided on burgers and chips with salad. We all asked for diet cola. The barman dispensed the drink from a 'tap'. When he had dispensed all 4 drinks, he looked at the glasses and promptly told us not to drink ! He took one of the glasses and said that the liquid didn't look right. He sipped from one and said that it was 'flat.'
    He dispensed two more glasses from the same tap - claiming that it has just been refreshed and 'should be alright.' -- but these also were 'flat.' The barman apologised to us and said that he would give us bottled cola - at no extra charge - and again apologised for any inconvenience. I thanked him for his 'service', and told him I understood that it wasn't his fault.

The matter must have been brought to the attention of the manageress of the pub. This charmless 20- something- year-old young lady came to investigate. She spoke at me in a very rude manner. " And what's wrong with the drinks ? " I was a little taken aback by the abrupt tone of her voice. I didn't want a confrontation - but calmly told her " Apparently they are flat - we haven't actually tasted them - the barman told us not to drink them because he didn't like the look of them - we haven't made any complaint about the drinks." The barman who had served us was next to his 'boss' - he looked very embarrassed - but said " That's right - I told the gentleman not to drink them."

At his point I expected the manageress to at least be a bit more diplomatic in her attitude - no -it got worse - she looked at the first drinks that the barman had dispensed and promptly announced that "There's nothing wrong with these drinks." The barman ( was great ) said, tactfully, that he disagreed. The manageress then told him " Well we can't afford to throw them away." ............. all during this time, the manageress was giving no attention to us ! I was appalled at her lack of 'customer relations.'

and things got worse...........................
    When the manageress discovered that the barman had given us bottled drinks she blurted out " They will have to pay the price difference." I was utterly disgusted at the way the manageress had dealt with the situation - and the way she had treated my family. I didn't make any fuss (honestly), but later told the other members of my family that if I had been on my own the manager would have been told by me to use the drink as an enema - and I would have walked out.

My family could have had lunch and drinks at home for about an eighth of the price we paid for the poor service we got in the pub,and it wouldn't have left a nasty taste in the mouth or a hole in the pocket -- a bit like paying for the 'flat' piss at Gillingham compared with the sparkling champagne football I saw in the El Classico

11. brb

brb CR250

Hmmm, you can have imagined my response...it would have gone something like, how about you take your head out of your arse, you f.... - of course all said with a smile and in my normal charming manner :)

Normally in these situations I have to take a step back, that is until they get rude, bit like scenarios where someone will say well we can't do this and can't do that...I generally then take a few steps forward and say now tell me what you can f... do for me. Normal at that point their head dislodges from their backside and their politer character strangely appears <whistle>

12. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

These can actually potentially create more danger. There is a road that I use fairly frequently which has such bollards. It's a 40mph limit road, semi-rural, and wide enough for about 2½ vehicles plus a bike lane on each side. Although I am (nowadays) what I would like to consider to be a fairly considerate and patient driver, I do get frustrated by drivers who travel at less than 30mph on a 40 limit road in good, dry, clear daylight conditions. However on this approximately 1 mile stretch of road there is only 1 place where the bollards are sufficiently far apart to be able to attempt a safe overtaking manoeuvre, and whether that is possible of course depends on whether there is any traffic coming the other way.

These days I'm much less likely to take risks than I was in my younger days, when cars were in any case less powerful (but less likely to protect the occupants in an accident), but there is a much greater temptation to take an even slightly increased risk of making the overtaking manoeuvre to get past what I consider to be an inconsiderately slow driver. Yes, I know that limits are limits, not targets, but....

13. brb

brb CR250

and on that note, have you seen the new speeding fines that came into place yesterday (24th April) - it now appears you will be fined based on a percentage of your weekly income!

14. alwaysright

so if you don't have a job and do not claim any benefits, does that mean they cannot impose any fine ?

15. alwaysright

What if you say the driver was somebody whose name you picked from the obituary column in the newspaper ? - as usual some smart-arsed solicitor is going to make a mockery of the system.

............... I can see a few footballers' wives getting points on their licence.

16. brb

brb CR250

What's 50% of nothing i'd ask the judge, although it depends if he went to the Scally school of financial training.

alwaysright likes this.
  17. alwaysright

I'VE JUST BEEN ROBBED ! And it was all my fault ! guess how much money I've 'lost.' - it was more than £395 - a lot more.

Do you think I'll ever see (anything for) it in the next two years ?

.............. on a more serious note .....

I was told by the Club that I would have to provide a passport size photo ( despite the original forms stating that only 'new' ST applicants would need one ).
    I said that I already have an I.D. card in my ST book with my mug on it. I was told that a new one was required because the club are using a 'new system.'
    I told them that a photo ID is not needed for the free tickets that Scally gives away - or for 'occasional' fans or for away fans - why was it needed by fans who are stupid enough to continually buy a ST -- when so much rubbish is being served up. We are subjected to being continually being buggered about ?
    I refused to agree to supply a new photo - saying that my existing ID was good enough - I shall use that. This was accepted ( at this point I was robbed ).

ON A LIGHTER NOTE ------

I was told that if I die in the next two years my family can get a refund.........
    I said that may happen around 1.55pm next Sunday !

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. alwaysright

Only in Gillingham - Scally's Greengrocer's !

Today, whilst on a visit to my mum, I took her into Gillingham High Street. She visited a greengrocer's - which had much produce on display outside the shop. The prices were alongside each of the items.
    Peaches were 59 pence each --- or 2 for £1.20 - you read it right - dearer than 2 single peaches !!
    ................... now stop complaining about the cost of season tickets.

WINDYROG likes this.
  19. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

General Election

Well with the general election coming up and from the looks of it we are to endure another Conservative government I can't help but wonder why aren't more people voting Monster Raving Loony Party. They're just as good right? <cheers>

20. brb

brb CR250

Updated my Avatar for yer mate <laugh> is that enough :)

The Gills PegLeg likes this.