1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I have to agree with you brb, even if you lit up a cigarette in the street people would give you a nasty look.
    I had to go into Strood on Thursday (first time in over a year) it took 2 minutes to realise why I don't go there, the vehicle fumes are so thick you can taste them, but light up and you're a outcast.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Thanks, I just find how the mindset of millions has been cloned absolutely astounding and quite unnerving.

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

4. brb

brb CR250

They just are not going to stop discriminating against smokers.

Any one remember a few years back when the government made a change in fuel legislation, stating that Diesel was less harmful and subsequently made the cost of it cheaper than fuel.

They have now back tracked on that advice and not looking to discourage the use of it.

Diesel is pumped in the air every minute of the day, affecting more passer buys than the inhalation of cigarette smoke. The pollutants of diesel are clearly obvious but we still drive freely those types of vehicles.

Then add the amount of people that have lost legal cases regarding asbestos, yet all this stuff is over looked by the government, and every time smoking is to blame.

It's ok to drink unlimited amounts of coca cola that is marketed in it's universal red trade mark colours, along with the Big M, but money rules the roost on this one because the masses ignore the obesity it brings. With these two companies people are allowed a choice, unlike the increasing restrictions on tobacco.

Problem with all this the Brits seem to follow in the footsteps of the states, whereas many European countries ignore the rules, unlike our pampered nation when it suits them!

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

With accidents caused by drunk drivers, injuries caused by drunken brawls, liver disease from alcohol abuse, how long before pubs all have to look identical and display stencils of rotten livers all over their walls.
    And what about warnings for petrol stations, "driving causes asthma in children"

brb likes this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

May God Bless you -- Rest in peace.

It truly saddens my heart to learn of the tragic events in Manchester. I cannot begin to imagine the grief being experienced by the family and friends of the innocent victims. How can members of a civilised society treat others with such inhumanity ?

It puts things into perspective - there is nothing that compares with the loss of a loved one. May God bless you all - and I sincerely hope that you may be able to find some peace.
    <peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><peacedove>

7. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Manchester

Whilst not being Mancunian by birth (as many of you know) I have lived in this part of the world for 44 years and seen the city change from the smoky, seedy, post-cotton metropolis that even in those days was still struggling to find its true identity after the war (but which was frankly still a seriously 'interesting' place to be, even in those days), to what it is now - a vibrant modern city that thrives in a multicultural effervescence of arts and business and is deeply protective of its own identity.

I'm sure you will have seen the tributes paid to those of all cultures who assisted those who were immediately affected by Monday's attack, and it is that spirit, that 'togetherness' that is one of the reasons I loved the place even in the smoky dirty days of the 1970's, and continue to love it now. It isn't all sweetness and light - there have been too many reports even in recent years of the gang issues in Wythenshawe and Salford, and the past problems in Moss Side that are still there, but on a scale that is tolerated, not to mention the child grooming cases that have been brought to light in Rochdale, and the predilections of the now disgraced Cyril Smith to mention just a few - it's a major city after all, home these days to getting on for 3 million people over Greater Manchester. But it's the majority of people that matter, and mercifully those were in plentiful supply on Monday night.

All of us, whether in Manchester, Paris, London, Nice, Berlin or anywhere else that has been the victim of terrorist attacks in the recent years, ALL of us wherever we are, are bigger than the small minded minority that would try to upset our freedom to go freely in our day to day business and enjoy our daily life. There are more of us than there are of them, and the majority will prevail.

However, although the Muslim communities all over the country quite rightly (and obviously) condemn the attack, I still haven't actually heard anyone actually say publicly and on record that the people who carry out these attacks are not Muslim. Until the faith goes further than just condemning those who have carried out attacks and actually effectively 'excommunicates' those individuals and groups who use and would seek to use what is actually a peaceful and caring religion to promote their violent, murderous, undemocratic, misogynistic and regressive philosophies, then those looking for a rationale for such philosophies will continue to hide behind the faith. Such people should have no place to hide, physically, morally or spiritually.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    WINDYROG, brb and alwaysright like this.
  8. alwaysright

Well said Tim.
    I hope many people take the time to read your post - it needed to be said in its' entirety. Sometimes less isn't more'

9. brb

brb CR250

Wow a truly fantastic post <applause>

10. alwaysright

And my heart bleeds for this POOr individual. Pay cut - my anus !
    In fact, I might just get up and do a paper round to collect some money to give to him ! Let me see if any of you has any more 'sympathy' than me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40052702

I might have to get a Saturday job to help this poor guy
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40048229

I just hope I have enough time for any 'prison visits' I need to make
    .http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40026827

............... at least they're not having sex with under age girls !

Last edited: May 26, 2017

11. brb

brb CR250

Well I've always expressed my thoughts on Ronaldo and as for the Chelsea player words fail me! Well they don't actually it's just they would be too strong for on here. Quote 'i don't always take the easy life' - seriously these players are living on another planet.

As for Messi, should have gone to prison.

12. alwaysright

It's NOT a Police matter !
    I should be sleeping at this time of the day -- but clearly I'm not - and why not ? It's certainly not because Mrs. alwaysright is feeling amorous ! No, it's because a burglar alarm in the road is ringing. It has been activating for the last hour. It sounds for 20 minutes, stops for about 30 seconds before going off again for another 20 minutes etc etc. I've looked out to see if there is any associated 'flashing light' to indicate the source of the noise - but do not see any,

I decided to call my local Police - as much for them to investigate a possible crime as for me to hope that action may be taken to stop the noise. I dialed 101, as I didn't think it was an emergency - unless the occupants were being murdered ! (possibly a Police 'matter.')

It took 15 minutes before my call was answered. I reported my circumstances to the operator. I was asked if I could identify the exact premises involved, and if anything suspicious was happening in the vicinity !! I apologised, saying that I couldn't.

I was then told that, if I ( YES - ME ), couldn't identify the exact premises concerned AND state that there was something suspicious happening, then Police won't attend an audible burglar alarm !! WTF !! What's the point of a burglar alarm ? - if not to alert that something fairly suspicious may be occurring !!! What's the point of having Police if I have to get up in the middle of the night to 'investigate' if the occupants of the house were having their throats cut before it is deemed worthwhile for the Police to attend ??!!!

I wasn't best pleased with the level of co-operation I got. I pointed out that I thought it was the job of Police to investigate incidents which, by their very nature, ( and especially under the cover of darkness ), could be considered suspicious -- if not a potential serious crime. I bet the Police would investigate a burglar alarm if it was at the Chief Constable's home.

I apologised to the operator for disturbing his sleep............................the bloody thing's still ringing ---- and it's absolute treat for me !! - to continuously hear a different 'ringing' ( I have Tinnitus - with a permanent 'ringing' sensation during all of my waking hours -- which are going to be a lot more than I'd like today ).

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

One would assume that if you can hear it, the house owner should also hear it, if they are alive and well and residing in the property.
    You could try mowing the lawn, it won't stop the alarm but would at least ensure you had some company.

14. alwaysright

gumpygit I have previously lived next to a neighbour who was profoundly deaf, and actually slept through their own alarm !
    Also - people who have a burglar alarm are not necessarily in residence 24 / 7, 365 days of the year. I would think that burglars would prefer it if the occupant wasn't at home - and - with the 'cover' of darkness, I foolishly thought that there might have been a greater chance that the alarm was as a result of a crime (( pardon me if that's not suspicious enough for the Police )).
    It was the attitude that I was expected to venture out to locate the premises and have a look to see if there was anything suspicious -- surely THAT is the job of the Police. The Police operator assumed that I was physically capable of that small, ( not at all potentially dangerous ) task - which obviously is beyond the remit of the local constabulary.

If the alarm keeps me awake tonight, I might just 'investigate' - with a large hammer - the bloody thing will STOP ringing ! If I get arrested at least I'll be able to have some quiet, uninterrupted sleep in a cell - it's not as if they'll be full of any criminals that haven't been caught!

15. brb

brb CR250

Great news guys...

It appears sexism is well and truly alive!

All these years, I've respected the attitude quite rightly against women.

Now this is true so be ready for a 2017 sexist free bombshell....

It appears in our great NHS that all male patients at GP surgery's are being removed if they have a female doctor!

I suppose on that same level of basis, if I were to work in retail sector environment I could refuse to serve a woman.

Imagine it at your location local supermarket, woman unloads her weekly shop at the till...gets to me as the next customer...sorry lady you are going to have to put all that food back in your trolley, I only see male customers ;)

16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Where did you get this story from brb ?
    In fact reading this article suggests there won't be any male doctors to see in the future.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...cative-powerful-argument-leading-surgeon.html

17. alwaysright

GO ON PUNK - MAKE MY DAY !

Yesterday that alarm went off again - but that wasn't the worst of my problems !

When I heard the alarm begin to ring I actually took out my big hammer - but after a couple of seconds decided it wasn't a good idea, and replaced it in my toolbox.

I then decided to try to locate the house in question. I found it - nearly 400 yards away - in the NEXT road ! The occupant wasn't indoors. A neighbour had pinned a note to the front door " Alarm activated- looked around-nothing amiss". I added to the note " If you don't fix your alarm there WILL be something amiss !"

I knocked on the neighbour's door. He stated that he had texted the householder - to notify them of the alarm. I asked him if he had heard it in the middle of the night a couple of days ago. He said " No" !!! ................. how the hell not - when it woke me from my home 'miles' away in the next street ? Any way - I left the matter - satisfied that I had at least located the premises - for future reference !

On my walk back home, I was aware that there were two lads ( 16 - 17 years ) riding bikes on the path behind me. As I carried on walking, they drew up behind me. One of them shouted for me to "Get out of the way". I did not comply ! The lads then just about managed to cycle around me,, ( but my presence caused them to wobble into the road ), and whilst doing so, one of them ( the uglier one of the two ), said "Move over." I said " I'm sorry, I didn't realise the pavement was reserved for morons on bikes." The good looking chap then released a torrent of four letter words. I said " Congratulations, I see that your English language education hasn't been wasted." The lads then remounted the path and stopped a few yards in front of me - completely blocking the path. They then stared at me. The 'main man' then asked "What did you call me?" I said " Are you deaf as well as stupid? - now are you going to get out of my way - or do you feel lucky ? - well punk, do you feel lucky ?"........ they moved !

18. brb

brb CR250

True story. We have moved all male patients to a male doctor, I heard it with my own ears. So I guess not only is it sexism it must also be genderfication if such a word exists. How many rules has that broken or did I miss something and have we become an Islamic State!

But I'm glad grumpygit you have clearly highlighted it is not due to a lack of female doctors for women, at least it clears up that female argument side of things!

19. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

brb,
    Having read your post again, I suspect that this is being introduced by your own GP practice. All GP practices are now independent companies who contract services to the NHS, your surgery will negotiate a contract with NHS England that takes patient numbers services provided etc. into account.
    What you are describing will probably be something introduced to meet the new NHS requirement for all patients to have a named Doctor, the new rule does not mention whether the Doctor should be male or female, this is where your own surgery have added a little local twist.

20. alwaysright

grumpygit isn't really an idiot ! - well - not as much as this guy......

I have needed to have a certain amount of work done on guttering, facias and drainpipes. I got quotes and accepted a tender. The company did NOT want ANY deposit or payment until the work is completed. I have previously dealt with the same company and decided to send them a post-dated cheque --- to coincide with the date of the works ( 9 June ).
    Yesterday a chap called at my home. He claimed to be from the 'contractors'. He claimed that my cheque had been 'shredded.' He asked for another cheque. I thought it a little odd that the company hadn't telephoned me - but saw no real problem to comply with his request - until

He asked for a 'different' payees name. I questioned his reason. He then assured me that my cheque wouldn't be cashed until after the work was done - and in fact he never asks for any deposit - but doesn't have time to go around collecting payment.

I told him I had no problem in giving him a duplicate cheque - but the payee needs to bear the contractor's name with whom I am dealing. The chap then said that I was being awkward - I asked " How, if I am willing to give you a cheque for FULL payment, in ADVANCE, in PERSON."

He then admitted that he was a sub- contractor - - and that the original contractor had asked him to sort out payment with me - that's why he needed a different payee's name on the cheque. I told him that I would have to verify his story with THE contractor. The chap claimed this would cause unnecessary delays to the work. I asked " HOW - it's not as if you need any upfront payment - YOU said that you don't take deposits or any payment until the work is finished. Presumably you then receive payment from my contractor -- I don't see how I am causing ANY delay if I am willing to give full payment well in advance of the work"...... He was speechless ! He left - without any cheque.

I have resolved the matter - I will be getting the work done by MY contractor - and not paying until after the work is done --- I'm just sorry that I couldn't help the idiot who refused to accept my full, advance payment - when I was under no such obligation.