1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit
    Windyrog's previous assertion is almost correct ! In fact your figures bears out the fact. There are around 92,000 constables 'available'. Due to the division of their number over the 24 hour clock, and giving consideration that a section of them have to be off duty for rest day purposes, when you divide them into the population of England and Wales, then the Police is indeed a very thin blue line.................. for your information Scotland have, different laws and a separate Police structure to that of England & Wales - hence your inability to find data.

Please do not dare to include other ranks as being available - when was the last time that you got the Chief Constable attending your call ? These other ranks do have their role - much of it these days is more political and 'deskbound.' ............... As for the Community Support Officers ( CPSOs) -- lovely people though they may be, they have very limited powers and qualifications - and severely limited when it come to case-file preparation. I am aware that the bulk of the necessary paperwork in all incidents default to the 'available' humble constables.............................. that's why they don't attend burglar alarms at 2 am !

nb 'Police staff' are civilian ( non police ) personnel. They include people like property officers, mechanics, domestic and kitchen staff etc ---- they won't come out to you - even if you are desperate for a cup of tea.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. brb

brb CR250

Experiment complete, I lit up a cig in the pub. It proper kicked off and I got thrown out.

And Teresa May is worried about a few angry people after a frigging great tower block burned down.

I rest my case.

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always, I don't know what the policing numbers should be, I was just giving accurate figures.
    I notice you have ignored the 18,000 sergeants who could very easily be front line, also the 16,000 specials, then if you look at a population of 56m (England and Wales) not 64m it looks better.
    The big question is how many is enough? lots of people quote what we have is not enough, but I've yet to see anything resembling a report on what the requirements are.

4. alwaysright

grumpygit
    Police sergeants, technically 'are' frontline officers - and, in theory can be deployed to attend incidents - but usually only in a supervisory role, if their experience may be needed to guide any inexperienced officer. Sergeants are not primarily deployed for routine incidents - they too have tasks that keep them deskbound for a lot of the time. As for 'Specials' - these lovely people have have the same very restricted authority as a CPSO - and these days, have even less use when it comes to compiling the mountain of paperwork that real police officers have to complete when attending an incident. ...................... and 'Specials' are rarely seen 'on duty' !

Apart from rare incidents, you really need to only consider constables as being 'available' to attend & deal with 99.999% of incidents. Whether you consider the population as 56 million or 64 million, the ratio doesn't look good.

CPSOs & Specials are all about policing on the cheap - and giving the illusion that there are more real Police officers on patrol -- and that is the reasoning why civilian staff - such as property handlers, travel around in 'marked' Police cars - and even have a 'uniform' that would make them seem to be a real police officer behind the wheel of the car - as it drives past ( and ignoring ), an incident [ because they are not 'available' to deal with it ].

As for what 'should be' the Policing numbers - well that is a matter of personal opinion. Some would say that we already have too many police officers, others want an officer on every street corner. What ever opinion one has, most of us wouldn't want to have to pay more in Community Charges for more police - but, I am guessing that - most people would hope for better attendance and levels of service when we have to call the Police.................... you get what you pay for !

5. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments. It is refreshing to see that someone 'outside' of the service has a realistic view and perspective of reality. :)

6. alwaysright

He was THAT stupid - he has to be a Gills fan ! ( idiot of the day award nominee )

I was driving in Canterbury today. I was emerging from a T junction - onto a fairly busy road. My task wasn't helped by a ( minor ) fool who had parked in the 'main' road, directly opposite me, at the middle of the junction. ................... if I thought this was stupid I was then treated to some real 'arse' driving. What happened next beggared belief.

A car ( from within the long line of cars approaching from my left ), then stopped alongside the parked car in the middle of the junction. There was NO 'traffic' reason for stopping in the most stupid place possible - causing mayhem for traffic from both directions - and leaving me with absolutely no chance of completing my manoeuvre.

You might think that the driver's car might have broken down. ---- Well -- the only defect existed in his head !

The idiot had chosen to stop in the middle of the mouth of a T junction to use his mobile phone !!!!! ---- oh well - at least he actually stopped driving to use his phone --- it's just a pity that he hadn't been approaching Sturry crossing when he decided that he needed to use his phone!

7. alwaysright

There's no point in putting a roof on the BMS - we won't get insurance cover !
    ................. the sub plot to this story is "I want his job"

My parents-in-law recently discovered rain has come through the roof of their dining room extension of their bungaLOW . They contacted their insurance company ( Natwest Bank ). The bank asked if my parents-in-law were claiming 'storm' damage ( covered under their policy ). My in-laws answered "Yes".

Natwest then told my in-laws that they needed to make a call to the Met Office - to check on the weather at the material time. A few minutes later they called back to state that the Met Office confirmed that 'weather events' had existed - and therefore, their claim would be approved. Natwest said they needed to send an insurance assessor to evaluate the size of the claim................................... well when I say insurance assessor', I mean somebody who is as much use as a chocolate teapot !

Mr. Assessor duly visited my in-laws. He walked around the bungaLOW - then asked "How old is the property" My in-laws replied " 31 years ". Mr.Assessor then said " The damage will be fair wear and tear." He had not gone up onto the roof to establish the point of water ingress, or what damage actually existed to the tiles, underfelt, rafters etc.

My in-laws were perplexed - especially as Natwest had stated that the Met Office had 'confirmed' the claim that the damage was after a storm. My in-laws asked Mr.Assessor if he could go onto the roof to make a closer examination of the problem. Mr.Assessor refused " I'm not insured to climb ladders or go onto rooves - that's not my job."

How the hell can you call yourself an insurance assessor - WITHOUT it being within your remit to physically scale to the point where the 'claim' originates ??
    How can you casually dismiss a claim of a storm - after it had been confirmed by the Met Office ?
    Just with what sort of cavalier - sorry, I meant cowboy attitude do Natwest think they can treat their customers ? (( they will be losing two in the next day or so ))

Mr.Assessor may just be right - that the damage is wear and tear - but his 'professionalism' is rubbish. I am not surprised that my in-laws will complain to the insurance Ombudsman.

8. brb

brb CR250

Not sure what it is with the hot weather, but cannot believe the amount of serious accidents over the past month. I don't wish to give my location away, so I will just say, road closures, deaths, bike accidents...people slow down and pay attention!

Think bike all the time even if they are riding crazy, let's put it this way if you don't you will kill one and so far recently the tally is not looking good.

9. alwaysright

You'd think he would have sorted out his underwear by now !

I don't usually watch much tennis - but have it on at the moment - watching Rafal Nadal - because I admire watching him perform ( at tennis ) - NOT for the skill and ability to be able to pick out a handful of pants every time he serves !
    He has had this 'problem' for many years - and I'm glad that it is his problem, rather than mine - BUT - you would have thought that some manufacturer has missed a trick ( and much money ) - by not providing Nadal with underwear that doesn't need to be retrieved from disappearing up his backside.

10. brb

brb CR250

And just as i was about to dip my sausage into my fried egg!

11. alwaysright

Why -- or should I ask, what's the difference ?
    Just seen 'Traffic Cops' on Dave. As usual it included real criminals being caught and convicted for real crimes...... So what's my 'problem?' -- well it's the fact that the real criminals had their identity hidden - their faces were 'blurred' by the camera. WHY ? - These people are criminals -( convicted ) - innocent members of society deserve to be protected from them - and should at least be shown their faces.

The other night I watched Watchdog, on BBC. In this program they have a regular feature on 'Rogue Traders.' -- the sort of robbing b******s who rip off victims for hundreds, or thousands of ££££ for products or services worth tuppence ha'penny ! The BBC( quite rightly), make it their business to obtain good images of the rogues and plaster them on a 'Rogue's gallery.' The public are being given a chance to be 'warned' against engaging the rogues ( criminals ) - Well done BBC.

So what is the difference ? Come on, Dave - show us the feaces

12. brb

brb CR250

Pure guess...is Dave a re-run of old programmes, hence the criminals may already have served their time i.e. conviction spent.

13. alwaysright

brb - the answers are (1), Yes. (2) Probably Yes.
    So - it's OK to disguise the identity of real criminals, whose current conviction is 'spent' - but not to disguise the identity of those who are 'merely' suspected of a crime !

Regardless of the fact that the average criminal will re-offend, WHY do they deserve anonymity ? (( given that they would have been convicted in a public court )).

Forgive me for not being 'politically correct', but I personally feel that innocent, potential victims, deserve to know the identity of murderers, rapists, kiddy fiddlers, granny bashers, robbers, etc - or should I just say; the scum of society ! - but don't let me stop you from speaking nicely of these charming people - it's not as if they've brought any misery and suffering to their victims.!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  14. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely disagree alwaysright. If a conviction is spent and as long as it does not fall under the legalities of enhanced checking then it is spent, they have served their time.

I'm sure you may know but just in case you don't, enhanced means it covers the most serious of those crimes you mention, so it stays with them for life.

Outside of enhanced people are allowed to recommence their life without further consequence.

Now I know you could argue this point but to what level should we go, maybe people who drive at the wheel with a mobile phone should be labelled as potential killers for the rest of their life, which also should be declared as such in any future employment.

Think you get my point.

15. alwaysright

brb - I wasn't actually trying to have an argument with you - I was giving my opinion - to which I am entitled - just as you are to your opinion. I am happy to disagree with anyone who has the same opinion, or explanation, as you gave in the previous post........... and just for once, I will unashamedly take the moral high ground.

..... I will also bet my l last £ that you would prefer to know that the man living next door to you is in my list of 'lovely' people. --- I presume that the the man next door isn't in that list - but - that doesn't stop you locking your front door.

ps - I do get your point. I [think] you understand mine. Up the Gills !

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  16. brb

brb CR250

I've no interest in or fear of other people. Their life is their life, if they choose to cross mine then they may find I don't act like a normal person, that is also a risk they take if they find my door unlocked.

alwaysright likes this.
  17. alwaysright

18. alwaysright

..... and talking of FOOLS - people must think I'm completely stupid !

My car insurance is due for renewal. My current insurer has invited me to renew. The premium they have quoted is 40% more than last year. I have not made any claims etc etc etc.

If I thought that was bad enough - here's something even more ridiculous -- -- Today I received an email from my current energy supplier ( not British Gas ), who invited me to fix my tariff until August 2019. I wasn't given tariff details - so I phoned them to establish the same. I took note of the tariffs ( including the new daily charge ).
    I then got my calculator out and did the sums - TWICE - because I couldn't believe the numbers in front of me.
    the special offer which was being made was 52% more than my current package.

I am struggling to understand the arrogance of these types of corporations - who think it's perfectly acceptable to quote increases of ridiculous proportions. Needless to say, I shall be doing some online research before I part with my money - it doesn't help when these people form a cartel.

19. alwaysright

It's all a mata of scale !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40831430

I would like to say well done to Mr.Mata --- because any charitable donation is better than none............. BUT --- 1% ?? I appreciate that 1% of his salary is going to be a substantial amount compared with 1% of my income - but as a 'percentage', it isn't anything special....... and I'm not sure if the term 'salary,' in the article, includes bonuses and income from endorsements etc........ let's hope that Neymar Jr can be asked to contribute 1% because ----- apparently he's not in it for the money ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40827104 if he worked for a good insurance company or an energy supplier he could make some real money

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  20. brb

brb CR250

Sorry but this hacks me off these stories. If you are going to give to charity then give without publicising it. Players are on obscene money and the pledges just make me angry tbh and if anything they can give a damn sight more than 1% no matter how much money that equates too., I pretty much guess I give 1% to charity every year, am I interested in saying why and who too, no that's my bleeding business.

WINDYROG and alwaysright like this.