1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Evening ristac. You ok pal?

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I'd imagine Woods no different to the majority of footballers and money is their biggest motivator. We should know that by now better than any fans. Anyway, roll on the first of February and we'll see where we stand and maybe know a little more about the Rad

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Not if it was possibly terminating my career. Would you take double the money & go to a club where you might not get another game, and possibly get relegated in the process? Big risk for him. Currently big fish & a good chance of doubling his wages if we get promoted. Can't see the advantage in going to the Wets.

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Not at Woods age. But if you're 29 / 30, being used to earning 9k (taking home 6 after tax), then suddenly you have a guaranteed 30k, I can see why a lot of footballers would want one last big pay day...

5. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

****ing wrong question to the wrong guy.
    He would sell your grannys arse for a 50p profit.

6. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Signing players does not necessarily strengthen the team.

7. Eireleeds1

Cook and Byram did without a second thought and Snoddy, Howson, Johnson etc before them. All joined lower PL outfits that would be likely facing relegation battles. The lure of the pound alas was too great WJ

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Former Dundee United team-mates David Robertson and David Goodwillie have been ordered to pay £100,000 in damages after a judge ruled Tuesday they raped a woman in January 2011.

The Press Association (via the Guardian) reported Denise Clair had alleged the two players raped her at a time that Lord Armstrong said she was "vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol." In his ruling, the judge added that her claims were "cogent, persuasive and compelling" and concluded "they each raped her."

Robertson and Goodwillie never faced criminal charges in the case. Clair requested £500,000 in damages from the players before reaching an agreement on the final amount in the Edinburgh Court of Session, according to the Press Association.

The PA report included comments from Clair, who discussed her frustration with the decision not to move forward with a criminal trial involving the athletes.

"I am pleased by today's verdict," she said. "However I am bitterly disappointed that I was so badly let down by the criminal justice system and was forced to seek a remedy through the civil court."

The Press Association also provided a statement from Lord Armstrong about the verdict:

Having carefully examined and scrutinised the whole evidence in the case, I find the evidence for the pursuer to be cogent, persuasive and compelling.

In the result, therefore, I find that in the early hours of Sunday January 2, 2011, at the flat in Greig Crescent, Armadale, both defenders took advantage of the pursuer when she was vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol and, because her cognitive functioning and decision-making processes were so impaired, was incapable of giving meaningful consent; and that they each raped her.

Robertson and Goodwillie both left Dundee United following the 2010-11 campaign.

Goodwillie, 27, did return to Tannadice Park for a loan stint during the 2013-14 season. He currently plays for League Two side Plymouth Argyle. The English club released a statement following the ruling and their decision to withhold the striker from action for the time being, per the Independent: "We note today's judgement from the Court of Session in Edinburgh regarding David Goodwillie. We await the full report, which we will consider in detail before making any comment. Until such time, David Goodwillie will not be selected to play for Plymouth Argyle."

Robertson, 30, is a member of Cowdenbeath in Scottish League Two. The Blue Brazil posted a message on their official website similar to the one made by Plymouth Argyle.

"We are now aware of today's Court judgement regarding David Robertson. At present, we can make no further comment until we have the full details available for us to consider and review," it said. "In the interim, David Robertson will not be considered for selection by Cowdenbeath FC."

Sky Sports noted the players argued during the case the sexual encounter was consensual. The judge stated their arguments about receiving her consent were not "credible or reliable," however.

9. Eireleeds1

Still didn't stop me being curious as to how tactful his response might be <doh>

Marcos Barber likes this.
  10. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Will you leave grannys alone

11. Eireleeds1

Exactly. Well said wc <ok>

12. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Didn't he have that at Leicester and drop back down to us? He might just be enjoying his football and thinks he'll get that sort of money if gets us promoted <ok>

13. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Exactly. And they've all done so well, haven't they? Snoddy excepted. Would you have any of them back? Doubt it. And that indicates the calibre of player we have atm. We have a team that's useful & hungry, & treated right, can go places. Can't say that about most lower PL clubs (note I do not use the term 'teams' - there aren't many about in the lower reaches of the PL).

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Yeh hands off the granny's glory, that's WC's job.

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening WCD, absolutely not.

16. Eireleeds1

I see what you're saying WJ. I'd just like to see our new saviour step up shortly and agree some contracts. Offering Wood a new one wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe that's what all these rumours are about anyway, pushing for a pay rise and he deserves one. I am I being cynical thinking footballers see dollar signs before all else. Hope I'm wrong

17. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

We're only really just halfway through the season. 26 league games played, 20 more to play plus potentially play-off games, plus FA Cup. I think we're a little too thin in the centre of defence and upfront not to strengthen. We're bound to pick up some injuries and suspensions so need 2 players at least and hope also there are some from the development squad that could come in.

Marcos Barber and ellandback like this.
  18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Maybe offer the some / all of the players contracts with a promotion clause (most pl clubs put relegation clauses in). Could be divisive I guess if not offered to all. Reality is if we go up some won't be good enough?

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  19. Eireleeds1

Good plan. Tweet the Rad with that <ok>

20. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Evening all. Just wondering if Poleon is going to come back & haunt us. Wimbledon are currently & I bet he'd like to show us what we're missing