1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

There was an interesting piece in the YEP last night by Phil Hay saying Leeds were right to pull out of the friendly match with Derby County at Pride Park in March.

Sky’s broadcast deal with the Football League has led to unrest with clubs outside the Premier League, no more so than Leeds who have seen 16 rearrangements already this season, 14 of those in the Championship

Hay went on to say that the concept of a friendly in March was riddled with complications. Financially, it had to perform well and would only have done so had Monk and Steve McClaren been willing to field recognisable teams. The motivation on their part for fielding recognisable teams in a kick-around six weeks before the end of the season, risking injuries and fatigue, must have been nil.

Brighton host Sheffield Wednesday tonight at the Amex Stadium. Who do we want to win.

Obviously there is no love lost between us and the Wendies but 3 points for the seagulls will put them 9 points clear and with a superior goal difference.

If Brighton were to lose tonight, Wednesday would only be a point below us. Should we beat Barnsley tomorrow that gap would be 4 points again, but we'd only be 3 points behind Brighton.

Charlie Taylor will not be fit for tomorrows game.

Garry Monk was quoted as saying "Charlie's inflammation has gone down which is good, we need to build him back up and get him back out on the pitches soon"

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

LEEDS United may face competition for signing attacking midfielder Alexandru Maxim ahead of their Championship teatime derby at Barnsley tomorrow.

It is believed Mexican side Club America area also interested in recruiting the 26-year-old from Stuttgart, who is contracted there until 2019 but has been told that he can leave.

It is understood that the player has already had preliminary talks with Leeds manager Garry Monk.

A natural playmaker, Maxim can cover the wide and No 10 roles – which will be useful assets as Leeds, who have won six of their last seven matches, seek a return to the Premier League.

With only two recognised wingers in their squad in Stuart Dallas and Hadi Sacko, United have little cover, either out wide or for Pablo Hernandez.

Maxim would solve those problems, meaning that Monk has less need for playing Souleymane Doukara and Kemar Roofe out of position.

Perhaps crucially, United assistant manager Pep Clotet knows Maxim from their time together at La Liga side Espanyol.

3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. Doubt if Taylors swelling has gone down. It's more likely to be his head than his ankle and like others before him could be permanent. The Derby friendly was always a joke. Potential for injuries, points deductions and a likely almost empty stadium wouldn't prove much. As I believe we're are shoe ins for the playoffs at least, I'll be rooting for the wendies tonight

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

Morning Eire...

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Leeds United travel to Barnsley this weekend and may be playing their Yorkshire rivals at just the right time.

The Tykes have this week lost star striker Sam Winnall to Sheffield Wednesday, and now Aston Villa look set to sign another of their star players.

Conor Hourihane is on the verge of a move to Villa, with the Daily Mail reporting that a bid has been accepted.

This will effectively rule him out of this weekend's match between Barnsley and Leeds United, and Villa could even seal a deal within 24 hours, with a medical scheduled.

Hourihane has been outstanding this season, directly contributing to 16 of Barnsley's 43 goals they have scored this season, 37 per cent.

With Leeds having played Villa twice already, drawing one and winning one, they will not have to face Hourihane again this season if he seals his move.

6. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. A win for the Wendies will only work for us if we beat Barnsley. That said, I take us to beat Barnsley. So come on the Wendies.

On potential incomers, as I trust Monk & Clotet, if they want the player so be it. Get him in

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Boggers, yes a win at Barnsley is a must...

8. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I think Barnsley will be a tricky game regardless of winnall gone and hourihane (really rate this guy actually) likely to not play. Really hope we don't take it easy, need to continue with the same sort of performance as the Derby game

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all....

Before we signed Ayling, Monk was offered two different right backs, the director of football was quoted as saying "Gary Monk has challenged myself and Cellino to do better" so basically Monk turned down their offerings.

I have a feeling the same is going on now, hence the delay in signing anyone and hence the wild rumours. I have a feeling Monk and Clotet have a couple of positions and players in mind and are being offered a few "alternatives" for consideration.

10. Eireleeds1

This time were in a great position, a team challenging and capable of promotion so even if there are no additions, it wont be the end of the world. Previous transfers windows we were average at best and crying out for quality. As well as your point Ristac, we may once again be looking at the loan to buy option. Clubs are reluctant to let players go on those deals until end of transfer windows and no other offers on table. Therefore, if we do get anyone in, I believe itll be last minute

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm happy with the squad Eire, my only concern is Monk wants or feels he needs 2 players. He wanted a new RB at the start of the season and I was screaming what a waste of money, I don't mind admitting I was wrong because Ayling might just be my player of the season.

I think we are strong enough, Monk says he wants two more players, if he wants them he should be backed, it might make all the difference by the end of the season. The new co-owner has come in, we must have a bit of cash spare, even gate receipts are up.

Good business will be securing down what we have I agree but I don't think anyone believed we would be sitting where we are in the league and if they did dare to dream at the start of the season I bet they certainly didn't believe we could put 90 minutes together of the quality shown against Derby.

I say if Monk wants two players let's go and get them.

Do I believe we need them; not really but I've been wrong a lot this season.

12. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

The top and ambitious clubs have already strengthened some of the chasing pack are making quality signings i fear a (Ken Bates senario) is on the horizon and its gonna cause a De-Ja-Vu for you guys...and no top six <ok>

13. Eireleeds1

And your knowledge of strengthening and quality signings stems from where

14. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

take notice of MIGHTY me old mukka it stems from being a life long footy fan and season ticket holder for best part of 40 years <whistle>

when i need armchair footy advice i will listen to you <ok>

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all. I think if Monk brings a couple in he will know they have to have the personality to be able to fit in, be better than what we have or at least as good, can hit the ground running and can add benefit to the squad. Everyone hes brought in has been great, except maybe the young kid Grimes, who shows sheer class at times and will be great one day. We need to remember that if a player as good as Bartley comes available we have to snap him up as Kyle will probably be going back to Swansea? We need a striker but will only be able to afford a top player on a 6 month loan as his fee for what we need will be a minimum of £12m. We also need a top midfeild player who can spray it around either from the wing or playing No10. Mowatt fires blanks too often when he subs for Pablo

16. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I liked Doukara and Roofe playing out wide it looked very promising.

Whitejock and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  17. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I think we could really send a statement by bringing in Ulloa, would be fantastic competition for Wood. I don't know what his fee would be but they paid 8m a few years ago and I would assume it would be less than that now (maybe 5m at a complete guess).

As for CB, I really like James Tarkowski and he hasn't seemed to play too much since his move to Burnley.

Having said that, I would be happy if we just signed up Pontus and kept everyone else.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Oh I see. You fly in to all the Wally games now do you. Still wouldnt mean you know anything about modern footie, in fact, quite the opposite Id say <whistle>

MIGHTY likes this.
  19. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

It is not just where we are in the league.We have a better squad than we have had for years. Good results,good to watch,and good young players. Whats not to like?

20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

is that a generic question or are you asking me what's not to like?