1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Mar 24, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone,

Mirco Antenucci has hit out at Massimo Cellino.

Antenucci left Leeds last summer after two years, returning to Italy's Serie B to sign for SPAL.

He netted 19 goals for the Whites, being in and out of the side, playing under five different managers during 2014 and 2016.

Speaking to Calciomercato, Antenucci explained: "It was an experience for many beautiful reasons, but also something negative happened.

"My first child was born there, Leeds is a young city that offers so much. Almost all positive aspects, except Cellino.

"Out of the blue, the first year I had a clause to get 12 goals my contract would be renewed, I reached 10 goals and I did not play. Not only in Italy these things happen, but also in England, even if done by an Italian.

"Beyond that, I take on the affection of the fans. The last day, when I went around the pitch, the crowd sang just for me. These things never forget."

Antenucci is enjoying his spell back in Italy. The 32-year-old is leading SPAL's promotion challenge, and could be set to realise his dream of playing in Serie A next season.

In 26 games this campaign he has scored 12 goals and provided seven assists.

Leeds could have used him for certain, but Antenucci would likely have felt frustrated sitting behind the prolific Chris Wood. It does not look like he has too many exits about quitting the Whites.

Yorkshire Evening Post journalist Leon Wobschall has taken to his personal Twitter account, to reveal a stat about Leeds United’s home form that will surprise many.

Wobschall had been looking at the 2016/17 stats, and confirmed Garry Monk’s side have not scored inside the first 15 minutes of a home game at Elland Road this season, which is only matched by Sky Bet Championship strugglers Bristol City.

The stat is surprising, with Leeds’ form at Elland Road standing out as a major factor in their promotion push during the 2016/17 season.

Despite the surprising stat of how slowly Leeds start games, when compared to @LUFCDATA’s confirmation of how many late goals the Whites have scored, it isn’t hard to see why Monk’s side are challenging for the top-flight.

Monk’s side have only suffered four defeats at home this season, and have been beaten just once at Elland Road in 2017.

Luke Murphy has hit out at Leeds Utd in the press...

“That’s why I came – I wanted to get back playing,” told Murphy to the Burton Mail.

“I obviously missed the first half of the season, I wanted to come somewhere, enjoy it again and get back to loving football, which this club has helped me to do.

“I’ll always be thankful for that. And obviously fighting to keep Burton in this division gives me a purpose (for) playing week in, week out.

“I’d much rather that than just go and play for the sake of playing somewhere.

I am really enjoying it and hopefully we can finish the job. I’m really enjoying it. There are no prima donnas or anything like that, everybody is the same.

“The lads have been first-class with me since I have arrived. There are some similarities to Crewe as a club.

“It’s a real big family club, everyone welcomes you with open arms and that’s something I really do like about it.”

Sol Bamba was discarded outside of the transfer window because Garry Monk did not want him hanging around at Leeds, according to a report.

The Yorkshire Evening Post claim the former Elland Road captain was released in September as Monk “was worried about the club’s captain hovering around Thorp Arch with no prospect of playing”.

In a report that sheds light on the exits of Bamba and fellow discards Toumani Diagouraga and Luke Murphy, it is explained why the Leeds manager was willing to have a tighter squad than many rivals.

Bamba was released from his contract the day after the summer window shut and shortly afterwards signed for Cardiff as a free agent.

Diagouraga and Murphy were sent to train with the Leeds Under-23s and then released on loan in January, to second-tier clubs Ipswich and Burton respectively.

Those were regarded as examples of the ruthlessness of Monk, as the trio were all regulars under former Elland Road manager Steve Evans in the second half of last season.

Even Bamba’s status as club captain did not make him secure and the 32-year-old was frozen out by Monk after just two appearances under the new regime.

“It’s not good to have players at the training ground who know they won’t be playing,” Monk had said soon after his arrival at the club.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all. All of the above mentioned are no longer at Leeds for a reason. Not good enough and dont fit into Garry Monks plans. Fine by me given how Hes turned the club around. Doubt Cellino is losing much sleep over Ants view on him <doh>.
    Big game game, actually like these internationals. Of course they dont suit everyone, only those with pride in their national team <whistle>

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Mirco should have been kept on as he was a good striker, a leader and a worker who never let the fans down. Mirco or Marcus or Duke? Mirco for me. Even Billy Sharp would have been better than what we have as back up for Woody. Problem area all season which will probably be the main reason we dont go up, if thats how it plays out. Roofe has potential and scores plenty og goals in a lower league, which hasnt transferred yet, but with luck it maybe next season? Cellino is still a cnut but with luck gone this Summer and we have to respect Monk and the way hes gone about things, so Murphy sulking along With Sol & Doug doesnt worry me. Monk knows what he wants and does it his way.

ristac likes this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all

5. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Wow, slow day. Afternoon all <ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  6. leedsrevolution

leedsrevolution Well-Known Member

Mirco certainly had quality absolutely no doubt about that. I wouldn't call him a leader at all though, the amount of times I had to watch him pathetically mope around the pitch when things weren't going his way.

I suspect it was his attitude and not his ability that caused the problem.

Whitejock likes this.
  7. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Bucks, I'm counting down the minutes till my first tinnie is cold enough:grin:

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Stick it in the freezer Shaks <ok>

9. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

I'm off down the pub in 34 minutes. Long day for me!

Irishshako and ellandback like this.
  10. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

Don't think Murphy was having a go at us, he just said he was happy to be back playing again....which he should be.

Wasn't overly keen on Antenucci, sure he had some very good spells but he was very greedy and his attitude was questionable at times. Having said that, he would be a good option off the bench for us right at this moment as we don't anything else.

Whitejock and ristac like this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Late day for you Bucks, afternoon btw <ale>

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  12. Irishshako

<doh> oh yeah:wink:

13. Irishshako

<laugh> nice one Bucks, it's not easy but someones got to do it<ok>

bucks_is_leeds and ellandback like this.
  14. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Millwallsteve likes this.
  15. Irishshako

16. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

17. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

They will be paying back the arabs for 15 fooking years <laugh>

Millwallsteve likes this.
  18. Irishshako

Premiership money will sort that out:emoticon-0105-wink:

19. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

The key debate today is about can some terr
    But that cant be right.

Boggers, billy, chesh and the bloke who is now dead to me (ristac ) all told me that cellino had sorted out the finances. The **** is still loading the club with debt but creaming off the transfer cash. Byram, cook, mcgreedycunt where has all the money gone. He makes Bates look like a sInt.

20. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

Stupid ****ers. <laugh>

Luckily for them we're considerate to their pain. <whistle>