1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds concluded their pre season tour of Austria with a 4-2 as the hands of SD Eibar, and with the season kicking off in less than two weeks TC still has a lot of work to do.

The introduction of Alioski and Roofe in the second half made a massive difference, and it looked like the Whites could steal something from the game.

O'Kane showed composure on the ball and good movement going forward whilst Green took command of his 18 yard area.

If there were a game tonight who would be in your starting XI?

Farsleyexile likes this.
  2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Really good question, probably the second half eleven with a new LB, CB and Klich in the mix.

I'm still hoping Rads will cut a deal for Bartley - ok dreamer but that would be my starting 11, if it makes sense to anybody else but me!!!

ellandback and RCDM like this.
  3. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning all. Not a great result yesterday, but with the introduction of Alioski & others in the 2nd half it showed what we can do. On who I'd have in my starting XI, I'd go for:Green in goal, Ayling, Pennington & Jansson as CBs, & Beradi as the back 4, O'Kane as the holding midfield with Bridcutt, Hernandez as the attacking midfield with Alioski & Roofe on the wings, & Wood up front.

4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, preseason results have not looked good but it's all about trying combinations out. Last season O'Kane made a difference when he came into the squad and more so than his ability, it was how he was a small cog making the bigger one turn.

For a period of time last season we had a bunch of average players complimenting each other which gave us an above average team. I have a hunch with O'Kane it is more discipline, the coach asks him to do something in particular and he listens and does that task to the letter maybe freeing up someone else, maybe providing a link.

Anyway, my point is if this coach is any good and if he has the time, he will get the best 11 who can play as a team, it might not be the best 11 players who start.

Someone pointed out that Saiz had a poor game compared to his first, this is exactly what the coach will be looking for, who works with who in what role. My only fear is that he needs to be very close to knowing that now as it is now time for the preferred starting 11 to start playing as a team and understanding each other.

On our midfield, I've never rated Bridcutt and I wouldn't mind him being moved on.

5. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

morning all. We only want players who want to play for Leeds.

Farsleyexile and Eric Le Merde like this.
  6. Eric Le Merde

Boggers not too sure about Bridcutt and Hernandez (for full 90mins 20 mins impact play?). For the first time in a while I actually think we have options for most positions so a preferred 11 may not be the week in week out starting 11

Jammy 07 likes this.
  7. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Fair call Eric. Time will tell, & we'll need to get off to a good start before the harder games against those just relegated from the PL away from home come along. So the Manager will need to sort things out sharpish. That said, I do like his first change, that of the wingers staying as close to the touchline as possible.

Farsleyexile and Eric Le Merde like this.
  8. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

morning all ... new day, some time to think about what I saw in yesterday's game

Green was not great, two goals from near post headers and I can tell you now that if it was Marco in goal this board would be drowing in dissenting voices ... he looked disinterested and needs to find his passion or go

Ayling got well roasted by their right winger, and in second half after Anita switched with Ayling, the right winger moved over to Ayling's side after finding Anita a bit more difficult ... Ayling finally made a tackle against him in the 85th minute when the winger started running out of steam ... during our poor run in last season, Ayling started to struggle as more teams started to run at him rather than cross from deep, and same happened with Berardi ... this forced us deeper and our already under pressure holding mids couldn't get us up the pitch from deep

O'Kane was excellent, and Phillips benefited from his presence, even getting up towards their penalty area thanks to O'Kane's reliability ... less said about Bridcutt the better, looked slow and ponderous ... the first half team struggled to get the ball forward, frustrating Saiz and Wood out of the game

Roofe and Alioski were different gravy, but they had the benefit of O'Kane moving play forward which also allowed Anita and Ayling to get up the pitch more ... Pablo showed some usual nice touches but still doesn't do enough, Saiz definitely grafts more and it would have been good to see him in the seond half line up

starting eleven for Bolton, as it stands with our squad right now would be:

Felix the Cat
    Ayling Pennington Cooper Anita
    O'Kane Vieira
    Roofe Saiz Alioski
    Wood

Bench: Green, Berardi, Shaughnessy, Phillips, Pablo, Sacko, Ekuban

one thing's for sure, we're definitely not a one dimensional team anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Farsleyexile likes this.
  9. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Just seen you've put the ticket prices up to £49 - More expensive than most PL teams - taking the piss really!!

10. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen the game.

Only 7/8ths this time, the recorder missed the first Eibar goal.

Scroll down to "click to watch it now" then scroll down past Shropshire to the game vid.

Wasn't impressed with first half, second half seemed to be better with the introduction of Alioski and co, wasn't impressed with our keeper either.

https://www.facebook.com/LeedsUnited/

11. Eric Le Merde

Who rattled your cage ?

Jammy 07 and Farsleyexile like this.
  12. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

My team for Bolton

Tea Lady
    Ayling Pennington Cooper Berardi
    Klich (if fit) Anita
    Alioski Saiz Roofe
    Ekuban

Reason I picked that team is, the new signings need to find their feet early, they'll also be playing on adrenalin and a will to impress. The pace will also be a lot quicker than it was against Eibar. I suspect Saiz prefers a faster paced game, and the front 4 should be able to benefit from Klich's and Anitas through balls.

Whatever team TC picks, we need to up a gear or two, and the keeper needs to be on his toes.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Felix
    Ayling Pennington Cooper Anita
    O'Kane Viera
    Klich Saiz Alioski
    Wood

I want to see this line up against Oxford, lets see what the new boys can do at ER. Saiz is the natural replacement for Pablo, Klich is class & we know what Alioski can do. Deffo see more of an attack minded team playing more down the flanks rather than congesting midfield.

I would look at the Bolton match after seeing what this line up can do.

Bridcutt, Marcus, need to go. Phillips & Denton need to be part of this. Sacko needs to get an end result as at times yesterday the skill was obvious and then ....

Farsleyexile likes this.
  14. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

Yes great idea to leave the best keeper in the league last season and the leagues top scorer out of the side, amazing tactical knowledge.

15. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Recovered from Austria, I think Alioski will become another cult figure as long as he keeps his enthusiasm when the going gets tough. Pace and skill a plenty but still likes to put a foot in on a tackle. Not many fullbacks going to enjoy playing against him for 90 mins.

Did not go to last game, but thought player for player we were better than BM, but they seemed to have a better game plan and stuck to it.

Morning by the way.

Farsleyexile likes this.
  16. lifecheshirewhite

Don't worry about it TC,your 30 won't make us rich.And with millwall being ****,you won't be top priced.:biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Farsleyexile likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all from Spain. Hopefully soon, our players will be up to playing a full 90 minutes and we can get some indication of the capabilities of our best eleven. Will also be a different kettle of fish performing in front of a full house at Elland Road. Too soon to panic or get excited about anyone yet

18. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Liam "league one at best" Cooper should be nowhere near a side wanting promotion!!! a new CB Is a must

Jammy 07 likes this.
  19. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

one sniff of wj replacing you as a mod and you turn up!
    That's some radar you have!
    Hows things?

20. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Still pretty ****ty mate but hopefully the next 6 months of this year will improve