1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The cull

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PeterRICK, May 18, 2017.

1. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Let's not fanny about here, this has been a pretty ropey season. Football has been mostly dire, fans are at each others throats and people are jizzing away more than I earn in a year hiring planes to announce they don't like some old man.

For me, one small ray of sunshine has been our brief foray into a new formation. I think most of us have been crying out for any kind of change and this has looked decent. I'd like to stick with it next season but it's not something which suits every player.

Under the assumption we continue with these tactics next season who do you keep, who do you cut and who would you like (realistically)?

For myself.

Keep
    Goal - Cech/Martinez and bring back Chezzers
    LWB - Monreal
    RWB - Bellerin + AOC
    CB - Koscielny/Holding/Mustafi/Gabriel
    CM - Xhaka/Ramsey/Elneny/Santi/Özil
    Forward - Alexis/Welbeck/Giroud (I know, I know)

Cut
    Goal - Ospina
    Defence - Gibbs/BFG/Jenkinson
    Midfield - Wilshere/Coquelin
    Forward - Walcott/Perez (reluctantly)

I should note that I don't want to get rid of the BFG or Perez. I think Mertesacker could actually suit the centre of 3 CBs where pace isn't such an issue but experience and reading the game is so vital. I also really like what I've seen of Perez and think he'd suit out new formation. I'm going to take the massive leap here and assume that Wenger will stay and seeing as he's not using either then I'll sadly say farewell. Would be great to have a captain who is actually on the pitch.

Obvious weakness in the team as it stands is on the left and up front. If we get Kolasanic as expected then hopefully that's one issue resolved. After that we need a forward capable of working with Alexis and Özil who is capable of that bit of magic that we've lacked in recent years. I'd keep Giroud as I think he's a useful squad player and great to bring on to chase a goal or when you need to mix things up and bring on some lumps.

I've actually liked what I've seen of Xhaka and Ramsey together in this new system but that's not to say it will work in all situations. I think we'll need to get a Wanyama/Kante/non-sh*t Coquelin in as well.

Shockingly I think this also suits Gabriel and Mustafi as well so I'll keep the faith in them. Got real high hopes for Holding but don't want to swamp him with responsibility too soon. For once I think our CB options are pretty decent.

I'd also switch managers but, meh, that ain't happening so why tease ourselves.

*disclaimer - apologies for the horrible hodge-podge train of thought style post. You guys get the gist though. Who do you keep, cut and want? Keep it realistic.

jodyg, PINKIE and lazarus20000 like this.
  2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------Cech-------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------(Pickford)----------------------------------------------

----------------------Koscielny---------Holding-----------Mustafi--------------------------
    ----------------------(Gabriel)-------(Mertesacker)------(Monreal)-----------------------

Bellerin-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Kolasinac
    (AOC)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Gibbs)

-------------------------------NEW------------------NEW------------------------------------
    -----------------------------(Xhaka)---------------(Elneny)---------------------------------

------------Sanchez--------------------NEW------------------Campbell------------------
    -----------(Welbeck)-----------------(Giroud)-----------------(Perez)-------------------

Raise funds by selling:
    Ozil
    Jenkinson
    Chambers
    Debuchy
    Ramsay
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Coquelin

Buy:
    Pickford
    Kondogbia
    Tielemans
    Lacazette

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Quilllogic likes this.
  3. PeterRICK

Ha! Sparse.

Edit: In response to your serious version I'd completely forgotten Joel Campbell. Poor b*stard. He's another one like Perez who seemed to grasp their limited chances with both hands and still get screwed over.

Like you I was all set to drop Aaron but this style suits him far better than our previous formation hence deciding to keep him. I can't say I'd be devastated if he left tbh. In fact, there are very few players I'd be sad to see leave.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Sanchez is going to need replacing whether we want to or not. There was some French journalist on the radio the other day saying Lacazette doesn't fancy Arsenal, might have just been bollocks

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Out : Everybody except Sanchez

In : Perry Groves and his clones.

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Lookingat the players on your wish list to sell, apart from Ozil and Ramsay, the rest seem very, very uninviting. I think Chelsea have a better choice of players who have not even appeared in their match day squads such as Tammy Abraham, Kenedy, Ake.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I would go with this too. Ospina has apparently said that he wants to leave, I'm fine with that as Martinez looks like a really good back up.
    If we can get Cazorla fit, then I think we have a really decent MF pairing in Cazorla and Xhaka, with Elneny and Ramsey as back up.
    Up front I'd really like to see us bring in a top class striker. As Giroud is our only out and out CF, with Sanchez, Welbeck being wide players primarily.

8. PeterRICK

You'd get decent cash for Walcott and Chambers has done alright on loan at Borough (although he's another I forgot on my list).

Anyway, who cares what they go for, we're gonna get a war chest.......yay..... <wah> Could have sworn there was a shooting yourself in the head smiley on here. Meh, you get the idea.

9. The Ides of March

Apart from ozil, selling all those players will get you what, £25 million. Because if Arsenal don`t want them why should the like of Watford want them when they can get better bargains elsewhere.

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

The PL is flush with cash now. Bournemouth paid £15m for Ibe. Burnley bought Hendrick for £11m. Palace spent £32m on Benteke, £10m on Tomkins and £13m on Townsend, Everton spent £30m on Bolasie, Hull £9m for Mason, Leicester £30m for Slimani and £18m for Musa, Boro £12m for Roon, Soton £16m for Boufal, Stoke £14m for Allen, Sunderland £14m for Ndong, Swansea £16m for Baston, Watford £13m for Pereyra and £12m for Success.

Any of those would sign Walcott for £20m.

Ozil....................£40m to some suckers like PSG
    Jenkinson..........£10m to some suckers like Newcastle or West Ham
    Chambers..........£10m to some suckers like Newcastle
    Debuchy.............couldn't care less.
    Ramsay.............£30m to some suckers like Everton, Palace, Liverpool
    Wilshere............£20m to some suckers like Newcastle
    Walcott..............£20m to suckers like Palace, Everton
    Coquelin...........£15m to suckers like Everton, Palace

BOOM. Imagine the interest we can earn on that as it sits in our accounts for the next five years.

11. The Ides of March

I like your optimism but I cannot see a PL side forking out anything like that cash this summer. I feel it is a buyers' market so clubs will be a lot more selective in who they purchase. I can see where you are coming from but to get rid of those players, Jenkinson, you may have to sell for around a £1m. It is a big wage off the books.

12. PeterRICK

Jenks has actually ended up making us a tidy profit from the loan fees he's accumulated over the years! Some surprisingly big fees in there considering he's, you know, sh*te. God bless idiots like Fat Sam.

13. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I'd keep Perez. I think in the new 3-4-3 he is higher up the pecking order than he was in the 4-2-3-1. We may need him.

Quilllogic likes this.
  14. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

I would get of, Ospina,Jenkinson,Debuchy,Gabriel (bring back Chambers), Gibbs,Wilshere, Ozil (if he does not sign a new contract), Walcott and Lucas Perez.

Lucas is a good player but clearly Wenger does not rate him, so he has no use in the squad.

15. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Bring back Chezza and sell Oapina
    Sell Gibbs, Coq, Chambers, BFG, Jenks, Debuchy,

keep Walcott he does get goals and sell Perez

sell Santi and buy Isco - thoughts on this one

sell Ozil and buy Mahrez - thoughts on this one, or just buy Mahrez

we won't get Lacazette as he has signed with Atletico Madrid already so throw all of the sales money at getting Mbeppe if we can - yes it will cost us best part of 100m euros but he will be immense

Also do whatever it takes to keep Sanchez