1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The FA and FL Cup Thread 2016/17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

We may have avoided being known forever as being the team that lost in one of the greatest ever upsets.....

thereisonlyoneno7 and ImpSaint like this.
  2. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

In fairness it probably was easier back then. But by no means easy and still an outstanding achievement but just because of the money in football these days it is just so rare. It's much easier, because of TV revenue etc, for the big teams to stay big these days.

Libby likes this.
  3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Pity Arsenal ignore the 15% ticket rule though. We would easily sell 9,000 for this game, we're taking 2,500 to North Ferriby next Tuesday. lol

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

They do?

Pretty sure they gave Leeds 9000 a few years ago?

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

The thing is, that's a relatively easy thing to say, and something nobody can actually prove. But let's say your words are true. Well then there is something wrong with competition in the present day which allows a glamour to stay big and which keeps an ambitious club from reaching the same levels. That's not open competition.

6. ImpSaint

Hopefully we'll get the same then. fingers crossed they aren't £60 tickets.

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Nah I expect they'll be cheap to try and get fans in.

Looking forward to game tomorrow.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

More importantly, how many do Sutton give away fans :)

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

15% of 5,013 <ok>

So probably around 800!

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

*rhetorical*

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I know but it got me interested <laugh> So had a look at Arsenals website...

"Sutton play their home matches at Gander Green Lane, which has a capacity of approximately 5,000. As a result, we have received an extremely limited number of tickets for this fixture, a total of approximately 750, which is majority standing and a very limited number of seating tickets. We believe this is the lowest allocation of tickets we have received for a fixture in the modern era of arranged ticket allocations."

ImpSaint likes this.
  12. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

You are of course correct in saying it can never be proved. There could easily evidence either way but we will never know for certain!

Your point about the system being balanced in favour of big teams is pointing out the obvious! The system has been this way for years and financial fair play further reinforces it by ensuring only clubs with huge revenues can invest heavily. You are certainly right in saying there is something wrong with the competition. I believe that "something" is greed.

13. ImpSaint

In the cup? 15%. In the League? Same as every other team in the National League with small attendances and that is "as many as you want."

14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Imp! Was Lincoln's win a case of a delayed riposte to what happened in the late 80s when Burnley, who were 92nd in the Football League, survived by winning their last match with Lincoln losing and thus getting relegated to the Conference?

ImpSaint likes this.
  15. TheSecondStain

Yes, I realise I pointed out the obvious. Sometimes things need to be said again before one can say something further. I agree on the 'greed', but I think FFP has been a failure, so far. It doesn't allow for the billionnaire owner of a middle sized club who is perfectly capable of propelling them into the big time. Yet it relaxes the rules for certain glamour clubs when it chooses. That's more than greed. That's naughty. Funnily enough, I wonder why the newspapers don't try some investigative journalism down that avenue. I'm sure it would produce results.

16. ImpSaint

There has been a lot of banter r.e. that because there were some choice words aimed at Orient about their safety if the correct result happened. In the days before social media how could those choice words spread so far? They came from the local police. Just like Burnley Police Force's official twitter tweeted on Thursday this week to us "Horses and dogs ready to welcome Lincoln City" before they deleted it. I doubt however there was much to do with that. We've played them umpteen times since.

Gordon Hobson scored a hat-trick at Turf moor in a 4-1 win the year we came back into the league in '88 (the year we played Saints and Colin Clarke scored at Sincil Bank) and I remember going to a 1-1 draw in the late nineties at Turf Moor (remember despite alcohol.)

So not so much a riposte to anything. Just a PL club warbling on about glory hunting fans moaning about tickets and belittling our attendance average from last season (and early this season) seemingly forgetting where they were just a couple of decades ago. They were quite full of it on their forums (and ours) pre game bu then I guess that comes over on the Saints forum as well. There's a lot of "you have to respect that we are not arrogant, merely pointing out that we're a PL side and have 20,000 crowds whereas you are a 5th tier team that can't half fill your own stadium. They completely miss that we are currently (since November) 2/3 filling our stadium for National League games and of course there are people that come out of the woodwork for "big games."

Oldham were the same, Ipswich ere the same, Brighton were the same and now Burnley. We give them the banter giving it the Billy big Balls but fully expecting to lose the game. Just having a laugh and bantering. They get all serious about it. They are very quiet after the game though. We'll do the same to Arsenal (or Sutton) giving it the whole wind up as if we are the big boys and they are the smaller club. they'll get angry at our mockery. We'll chuckle win or lose. They'll forever moan about eh cheek of Little Lincoln fans.

We're just up for the laugh, everyone is joining in . No Billy big balls about it. After all we're talking about Lincoln City. Can;t wait to go over to the Arsenal forums because I would think our lot are getting ready to start the banter if they haven;t started all ready and it's a chuckle to see the replies from those that can't see the reverse humour. They'll go mental at us talking to them as if they're the underdogs and we're the huge historic mega club.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. ImpSaint

One interesting fact should Arsenal win and this game sell out would be that it will be the second highest attendance for a game involving Lincoln.

The highest being in 1954 when 61,231 watched Everton beat Lincoln 3-1 in the old division 2

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Are all FA QF's televised normally? Reckon Spurs Millwall would be a cracker.

@Archers Road - North London could be fun that day! :bandit:

19. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

That's small. Almost as small as this violin I'm playing.

20. TheSecondStain

please log in to view this image

About this small.?