1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The FA and FL Cup Thread 2016/17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Chelsea Spurs will be a cracking tie tbf. Will definitely watch that one, and wouldn't want to call it.

2. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

So our game against Chelsea will have to be re arranged due to their progression. Will that ease our April congestion, or will they squeeze that in too?

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Never known a season like it. Bonkers couple of months. I wonder if we will have Austin back?

4. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Back in training start of April, apparently.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Source?

6. saintsfcfan

Daily echo I think.

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The reason I ask is there are different estimates of all our players return dates on every available web site, and no agreement between any of them. I can't find any site that says Charlie is back in training on 1 April, so I was wondering if you had a firm source. Obviously you don't.

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Maybe its really early ground work for an April fools. :)

9. saintsfcfan

I don't have a solid source source, no. I'll rephrase the post to "apparently"

10. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Probably because some fans of some clubs are proud of their RAF heritage and have a ground that is overlooked by the "newly erected and opened" Bomber command memorial!!!.

How dare those authorities put any new commemoration of WW2 up there. And how dare they put reference to the WW1 tank on Lincoln's main roundabout. Disgusting. They ought to knock the Cathedral down as well.

Horrible nasty Lincoln eh!

Bomber command memorial is on top of the hill, the spire centre of picture.
    please log in to view this image

The plan for new seats:

A WW1 tank memorial:

And the Lincoln "noisy" section is named the 617 Squadron (for obvious reasons) the banner along the front is quite apt and answers your question.

Horrible horrible fans being proud of where they come from and it's history.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

11. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right, Herrera did.

12. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Pogba is good when he can control the game, though when the opposition midfield is clearly in control he really struggles to affect anything really. Not fast enough, can't intercept/read the game, can't tackle, good at passing and running with the ball though. Also good at holding other players off.

Kante doesn't have the best technique on the ball but every other aspect of his game is excellent. Best CM/CDM in the world right now? Verratti was unreal against Barcelona in the first leg.

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Who said it was horrible? I said the reference to bombing the Germans was totally unnecessary, however, that apart we do seem to be cultivatiing a society where so many memorials are still being erected regarding WW2 and it's to the detriment of the national psyche, it still seems to play a big part in our culture when there is so much, much more to celebrate such as our famous authors and playwrights, painters, poets, our industrialists (Isambard Kingdom Brunel, George and Robert Stephenson) our scientists, our famous dogs of war (Drake, Raleigh), our monarchs, our Roman History .. and yet WW2 still dominates our history syllabii. It is surely time to lessen the attention given to WW1 and 2 and celebrate our other history much more. The Tudor dynasty is so much more interesting to study and provided a real turning point in the UK's fortunes whereas WW2 much less.

Saints_Alive and Archers Road like this.
  14. ImpSaint

You mean like the Lord Alfred Tennyson statue at the Cathedral?

To be fair the Dambusters was a seminal moment of its own rather than just being "war." And I'll grant you it is quite lazy to use the old German Bombers song to "commemorate" that event especially as the RAF from Lincoln would not have shot anyone down as they themselves were bombers but I see no problem really. It isn't aimed at "Germans" as a taunt. It is merely a reflection on Lincoln history with a silly song adapted for use.

As for statues, If Lincoln is anything to go by we no longer build statues to commemorate anything. The bomber command and tank memorial apart (which were campaigned for by an elder generation and not the young) all we see nowadays are aesthetic sculptures and artwork that to most people is pretty meaningless and could be put anywhere in the world. Some are aesthetically pleasing and some are not but there seems to be a constant desire to purge history and tradition in this country and replace it with lots of meaningless stuff with no link to the locality it is placed.

Incidentally I used to work for Dorman Diesels who took over what had been Ruston, Proctor & Company in the first world war. Ruston, Proctor & Company built 2000 aircraft during the first world war and were the country's largest engine manufacturer at the time of that war. I remember in the main reception there used to be lots of black and white pictures of the planes being built (The Sopwith Camel being the famous one.) They later became Ruston & Hornsby which is what they tend to be referred to.

My bestest 2 friends co-incidentally worked across the road at Ruston Bucyrus the crane maker. General Electric (or one of the many previous owners) had separated up different aspects of Ruston's "portfolio." I always remember on the way down to Winchester for a family holiday passing some old massive RB cranes near Northampton. Another friend worked at Robey's which had also made planes for the admiralty and 3 more friends work for what is now Siemens (formerly Ruston Gas Tubines.)

Even more of a co-incidence later in my life I worked for William Sinclair of J. Arthur Bowers fame (I have had bad luck with 2 redundancies) who then and still to this day are based in the factory that Ruston & Hornsby were originally in before they moved to where William Foster & Co had built all the first tanks.) William Foster bought Gwynnes Pumps and created Foster Gwynnes (Long gone) but their social club survives 100 yards from Sincil Bank stadium and I played pool for their Premier League teams for over a decade. It's like a game of musical chairs :)

So the confusion I worked for Dorman Diesel which was formerly Ruston & Hornsby in the factory that used to be William Foster who made the tank and then later in life I worked for William Sinclair in the factory that Ruston & Hornsby built their aeroplanes. Their building still has RUSTONS painted on the end of it despite the building being part of William Sinclair Horticulture.

My Mum and Dad live in a house that would've been built as a manager's house for Clayton & Shuttleworth Ltd who were another that built aeroplanes during the first world war and parts for Admiralty ships. This company was the first link to bombers in 1916

So it isn't just the RAF bases and the dambusters + the Red Arrows. The whole city has a huge history in terms of wartime aviation and ground battle too. You can;t forget that kind of history especially when even though I was only born in 1975 (and arrived in Lincoln in 1975) my whole life has been interwined with people, companies and buildings that make up this city's modern history. People are proud of their heritage and the history of their city. I think sometimes people do not realise that even young people can feel proud of their hometown's history no matter how sombre it's background.

If you asked a twenty-something Lincoln born and bred they would have barely any knowledge of the extent the city's involvement other than the Dambusters and the tank but by the time they reach my age they will no doubt have discovered the spider's web of their city's modern history and be even more proud. Hence at the moment the noisy section being youngsters pick up an existing song and change it to the RAF from Lincoln bit.

http://beyondthetrenches.co.uk/aircraft-built-in-lincoln-the-home-of-the-tank/

Does Winchester not celebrate King Alfred? Does Southampton not celebrate its shipbuilding/Cunard and supermarine Spitfire history? (The spitfire might shoot a German bomber down better than a Lancaster ;) )

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    The Ides of March and davecg69 like this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Those who forget their past are doomed to relive it.

16. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Southampton has strong links to the Spitfire, but I would hate to hear our fans make reference to it in the stands and start holding their arms out to mimic airplanes.
    War is sometimes necessary, but not something to be proud of and celebrated, we should be reverential and respectful to the loss of human life.

17. ImpSaint

I'll not mention the air raid siren that is wound up for each corner and free kick then ;) (true, not joking.)

18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Good post Imps and thanks. You could have made a good history teacher. Do you write for weekly there in Lincolnshire? I was on a Sunday afternoon walk a few years ago with some ramblers. One of the guys was like you as he was very knowledgeable. I think he said that in WW2 planes took off and landed from fields to the north of Fareham. And it was not HMS Daedalus.

19. berlinersaint

berlinersaint Active Member

Probably Hamble, probably

20. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Not sure Hamble would be classified as "North of Fareham" (My Dad was there just after the war) - more likely to be Middle Wallop or Odiham I reckon.