1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The General Conversation Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Nov 4, 2015.

1. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I have worked in Sunderland. The most cultural thing there is grab a granny night on Wednesdays at the Oxford hotel.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I'm saying nowt except to say you were obviously more interested in grannies than touring the many museums, the theatre royal where Sid James died on stage in 1976, or the university buildings.

It's amazing what you can find if you bother to look, and a damn site cheaper than "popping" over to Croatia!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Right chaps, shall we go and see the spot where Sid James died, or should we take a dip in impossibly clear, turquoise seas, drink excellent - and cheap wine and dine on freshly caught seafood after visiting one of several UNESCO sites.
    Hmmm, tough call, I'll get back to you on this one :emoticon-0112-wonde
    :emoticon-0140-rofl:

4. canary-dave

New balls please <yikes>

5. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

6. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've been to both and and wouldn't recommend either.
    If you fancy a longer linear walk, start at Burnham Deepdale you can park there for free all day, you have a pub called the Hero in Burnham Overy Staithe after approx 3 miles (beer's OK if a tad more expensive, but I think food is VERY expensive, as it's just a few miles from Burnham Market), sit outside on the EAST side for views down to the Staithe and then walk to Holkham for one of the best views IMO, as you come up over the dunes to the beach at Holkham and then walk up to the Victoria Inn in Holkham for refreshment - same as the Hero. Catch the Coasthopper bus back to your car for about £2 each.
    The cafe at Burnham Deepdale isn't too expensive.
    If you go to the 'Streetmap' website, you can download and print a map of the route.

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I agree Burnham Overy -> Holkham is superb - can even extend it through the pine tree belt to Wells but that adds a fair distance to the walk.
    I did the Stiffkey - Blakeney stretch on Monday. Coasthopper from Cromer stops outside Stiffkey Red Lion (for coffee, at 11 a.m.!) then down to camp site and coast path left, back to Wells, or right, to Blakeney (via a stop at the Morston Anchor if required)
    King's Arms or White Horse in Blakeney both good and open all day.
    Nice Broadside at £3.40 in the WH and pleasant rear garden too <ok>

Edit: Had my first blackberry of the year, too. Loads of brambles along the path, both sides. A bit sharp for me, still, but black all over and twisted off the bush easily enough.
    Plus 25-30 spoonbills roosting on Stiffkey Fen <ok>

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    johnnywarksmoustache and JM Fan like this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

On the walking theme, I did the Bayfield bird walk with a mate recently. It's about 7 miles (8 if you continue on to Wiveton Bell for a well-earned sherbet <ok>) As you can see from the map, it begins on the track beside Cley Spy in Glandford & is well waymarked. Cuts through the grounds of Bayfield hall, past the lake (rammed with azure damselflies when we were there - and a grey wagtail catching flies for it's 4 / 5 chicks) and continues back to Glandford along the river Glaven bank. Superb.

http://www.cleybirdclub.org.uk/cbc/content/files/bayfield_bird_walk_map_528484.pdf

10. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Great couple of posts Cromer <applause> but please stop it now as I am beginning to feel homesick for East Anglia!

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Last one so as not to pee off Warky.
    Walked a different section (for me) of Weavers Way couple of weeks ago.
    Got off bus at Bengate, 2 miles south of N Walsham, old railway track clearly signed Weavers Way, followed it west for about 2 miles, came to an old abandoned station (Honing) then, near Honing bridge, pick up (and cross over) the Dilham and N Walsham canal which ends at Wayford Bridge nr Stalham. Disused canal apart from canoes, kayaks etc and hard going - several 'limbos' under fallen trees and very uneven path beside the canal. But stunning. About 5.6 miles to Dilham village and half a mile further to the Crown at Smallburgh. Bus home stops bang opposite the pub - which had a cracking pint of Tim Taylor's landlord <cheers> <applause>
    Saw loads of stuff, grey herons, buzzard, red kite, kestrel, etc and hundreds of these banded demoiselles which had just hatched. Solitude and tranquillity personified <ok>

please log in to view this image

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. johnnywarksmoustache

Next weekend I'm going up to Dunwich and Walberswick to walk the coastal paths and I cant tell you just how much I'm looking forward to it!

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Some bloody marvellous walks around there, squire. My bro and I took cycles from Southwold through Walberswick and then cut through the fen / reedbeds of Suffolk coast nature reserve and then down to Dunwich Ship through the gorgeous forest. Then a different way back (to a pub in Walberswick <ok>)
    Stunning area, enjoy your time there <ok>

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

DON'T be tempted by the fish and chips down by the coast at Dunwich - they're YUK!!! <yikes>
    There's a much better chippy down by Southwold harbour and you can get there and back by the ferry from Walberswick.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

There's a lovely little pub on the Cliffs at Pakefield where we go for a good old Sunday Carvery. I love doing these walks in the Winter when the wind is howling and the Sea is foaming. Nothing else quite like it for reinvigorating your senses and the thought of being huddled up all nice and warm in a pub at the end keeps you going!

Forgot_My_Lines and JM Fan like this.
  16. johnnywarksmoustache

I have said this before but there is nowhere else in the Country that can match the sheer amazing beauty of the Norfolk and Suffolk coast! The big skies and miles and miles of deserted beaches is one of the joys of life! <ok>

You can shove Devon and Cornwall where the sun don't shine! Its full of black country ****ers anyway! <grr>

ncgandy and JM Fan like this.
  17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Have you been to the Eel's Foot in East Bridge, Leiston IP16 4SN. I haven't, but have heard numerous good reports.
    Sounds right up my street <ok>
    http://www.theeelsfootinn.co.uk/

18. johnnywarksmoustache

I must admit that I haven't but I will be pleased to check it out. I usually avoid Aldeburgh and Leiston these days as they are now full up with London ****ers and the beer prices are pretty hefty! The Pub we go to in Pakefield is "The Jolly Sailors" which serves good hearty food and the ales are excellent and well kept. <ok>

19. canary-dave

Sad to hear about Leiston, I used to love the chippy there opposite the main car park!

20. johnnywarksmoustache

Yep I know the one! <ok>

canary-dave likes this.