1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Eastleigh v Southport live on BTSport1 right now.

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Valencia owner Peter Lim to allow football 'super-agent' Jorge Mendes (of Ronaldo, Mourinho and Fonte) to choose the new boss.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

If true, it is a sad fate for the manager who took them to 4th last season but I suppose it is a consequence of a poor campaign in La Liga this far and their Champions League hopes on the tightrope.

4. The Ides of March

Pleased for Gareth Bale to get a long overdue goal yesterday. He has not been smiling a lot in most matches that I have seen here but it returned yesterday. And our friend scored a hat-trick yesterday, Adruriz. He is almost as old as guys like Chilco, Le Tiss,me, Godders, Fran, Vin, Odd River Oaks. He's 35 but in great condition. Spain should get rid of Costa and play this guy instead, along with Inaki Williams.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

League Cup next fellas, looking forward to it. <hug>

6. The Ides of March

Only if Saints win. If you guys win it is only a "tin pot" trophy. We have more important priorities it seems like qualifying for Europe. In reality I think it is a competition that PL teams could do without. OK, you have a "wonderful" day at Wembley (suck), paying a fortune, eating food and having drinks that are vastly overpriced as you wouldn't be allowed to take your own picnic, on a Sunday afternoon which is c*** for travel. So whoever wins I will not be going anywhere near Wembley ever.

Getting back to the issue, IMO this should be a competition that should be restricted to football league teams, without a place in Europe because more often than not, it is a competition won by teams that finish high enough in the PL to qualify for Europe.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It may be of lower prestige than the FA Cup, but I won't knock it. I'd love for Saints to win it...a team like Southampton should throw everything at the competition at this stage. We missed an opportunity last year<wah>:mad::confused:....COYR

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Like Ides though, I won't be going to Wembley if we make it. Have had two awful journeys to Cardiff and Wembley...be safely tucked up at home this time. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. :)

9. The Ides of March

Liverpool will win it along with the Europa League. We all know it, except Liverpool fans themselves. When we expect so much from Saints, disaster strikes as last year when we all hoped Saints would beat Sheffield United!! It is not worth getting too worked up about it.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's not the best of competitions but If we're in it I want us to go all the way and add to our silverware. If they got rid of it I don't think it would be missed.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

You've already won it luv what 7/8 times? Come on now be fair it's time for someone else to have a go ;) <ok>

How do you see it going Wednesday night?

12. The Ides of March

Exactly!! For a decent PL team's supporters there are other ways of getting that orgasm, that pleasure that is derived when your team win. A trip to the new San Memes in Bilbao, for example, would be a great experience. **** Wembley!!

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Whos doing match thread anyway?

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I very much hope you're right there. :smile:

15. The Ides of March

If you win the League Cup, great but I am cheering on Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League. And for any team dropping into the Europa League from the CL, let's hope they are all eliminated in the Round of 32. If they are not good enough for the CL, what entitles them to success in the EL.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree it's clearly a rule that give the competition more of the so called glamour teams and a higher profile.

17. The Ides of March

If it happens, a trip to Bilbao would be well worth the effort for Liverpool supporters. I am sure there is a common affinity with the supporters. Both like to give the two fingers to the establishments in Madrid and London. Make it a long weekend Luvgonzo from a Thursday to a Sunday as there is so much culture and gastronomic delights to enjoy. Added to that the countryside around is terrific.

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah I've been to Bilbao, it's very nice.

We have to stop agreeing and getting on so well with our upcoming match in mind. Lovren and Lallana to get the goals in a 2-0 win for us. :smile:

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'll never let awful journeys put me off special days. In Cardiff, I was fortunate enough to find out there was a 'loose' family connection and so a sofa was available on the Friday and Saturday night, avoiding any travel issues. For Wembley in 2010 it was ok for travel, apart from getting on the wrong train home and waiting at stations fo9r later trains top take us home... didn't matter though, we won!

A little different getting to the island admittedly.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Ok, that's the end of the getting on well....

luvgonzo likes this.