1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Golfing Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, May 26, 2016.

1. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Played it four times this year. It helps when one of your mates is well in with the Durham county cricket team. It's by far the best course I've ever played. The whole place oozes quality. There's two courses to it, I've played one (can't remember if it's the Colt or the filly) three times and the other one once. The views are absolutely stunning. At the highest point you're overlooking the Tyne Valley with he river winding down below you. Breathtaking.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  2. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I haven't really played the major courses in the north east for a while, but those who have would you say the number one course is now Close House or is Slaley still rated as the best course?

Slaley is a lovey course in outstanding countryside, however, for the average club golfer, its so hard and can destroy your game. My favourite in the North East was always Matfen Hall.....beautiful course.

3. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Trust a mag to be a jammy sod.

4. Sunderpitt

I like Matfen a lot. ..was lucky enough to have a free 4 ball at Slaley a couple of weeks ago...I had an awful score but my partner managed 9 over (his hanficap) on the Huntsman.

RockCliffe is a course I do manage to get a freebie from time to time...as a friend has his company signed up for corporate membership...he could play every day....but his wife cos they have 4 kids does not let him play at the weekend...so I am happy to do so

5. Norway

Norway Well-Known Member

Played most of my golf in Norway, with a few weekends away in Spain, France Netherlands etc. Now playing in Thailand, but find it is bloody expensive, especially around where I live, Hua Hin. Of course you have to have a caddy, appointed by the club, some of whom don't know there arse from their elbow as far as the rules are concerned, just want to get you round as quick as poss and get on to the next punters. Still enjoy the game though, without taking it too seriously.

6. Sunderpitt

99.9%of blokes who play golf are not serious about anything

farnboromackem likes this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Playing South Moor on Wednesday and Ramside on Sunday this week with my only 2 rounds of the year! Can't wait

8. Sunderpitt

I have couple of friends at Southmoor and play it now and again ...good course...mind if it is wet it may be closed. If you are playing the new course at Ramside (I like it a lot) perhaps you should try a buggy it is a longish walk

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

It's a long walk for me anyway mate - Over to the left of the fairway... Than over to the right of the fairway... then over to the left of the fairway... then over to the right or left of the green (on a par 4) then onto the green and around 3 or 4 putts! No idea which course we're playing at Ramside - it's an annual thing we do for a "friend of a friend" who died suddenly of heart defects quite a few years ago (was only in his 20s or early 30s. His wife is a very good friend

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Ive found Crumble. Flanders. Blunham etc.

flandersmackem likes this.

11. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Take the pissed all ya like. I think I look quite dashing! <laugh>

12. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I think it's time we closed this thread, the board is getting a bad reputation now.

13. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

Quite enjoyed playing with the old bats, nice getting dressed up in the plus fours etc but i had to keep my "modern" shoes on.

On another note, a week tomorrow 16 of us fly out to Turkey for a week with 6 games of golf...bring it on.

14. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

Where you off to in Turkey mate? a few of us are looking at an abroad golfing trip next year and was looking at Belek in Turkey or the Algarve.

15. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

i've never played in Turkey, but I played in the Algarve this year....brilliant place to play golf..Going again next year if my brother is up for it.

16. crumble bungle

That's where we are off to. 6 games of golf, 2 on the Pasha, 2 on the Sultan, one on the Carya and the last on the Faldo.
    We tried getting the Likea Links but couldn't get the tee times we were after.
    Its 800 for the week, all inclusive so good deal i reckon, might just catch the tail end of some decent weather, still low to mid seventies out there.
    was out there 2 years ago and the golf is spot on, make sure you have 4 balls though or they will chuck someone else in the group to make it up.

17. crumble bungle

ps, hotels and food are excellent, i will let you know what hotel we are staying when i find out.

18. crumble bungle

19. crumble bungle

Not long back from Turkey.

Anyone going out there just has to play the Carya, beautiful course and was immaculate when we played it.

Also played the Pasha twice, the Faldo twice and a game at the Sultan.

The Faldo greens were a little slow in comparison to the other courses.

If possible try and get a game on the Likea as that is supposed to be awesome.

Weather was good, never dipping below 70 so good time of the year to go.

looking at going again next year but hopefully early November or late October when it is that little bit nicer.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  20. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member