1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The health and fitness thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

juicing is the way to go. I've lost nearly 3 stone since February this year. I've done this by juicing (a 9 day fast and a 14 day fast), eating non processed foods (bbc good food is a great source for healthy recipies - why does healthy food have to be boring?) and exercise.

It's simple really. Eat healthily and burn more calories than you put in your gob.

You will be amazed how the weight falls off when on a juice fast.

Bepanthen does the job for sore bollocks. I'm cycling the coast to coast later this year and wouldn't be without it.

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Ahh Bepanthen.. hat's the stuff my Tattooist uses on my ink as part of the healing process.

3. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Ever used Tiger Balm Albert?

4. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

That stuff is like rubbing hot molten rocks into your groin.. hahaha.

5. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

I like it for muscle ache but christ if you ever apply it to say the shoulder/chest region, the sore throat you get the next day is unreal. Yes, always wash your hands after use. I've had one or two occasions of intense agony from forgetting then going for a casual scratch of the old chap.

6. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

In my forties and in great nick compared to others my age.

That said, I have a job where I burn off the calories and exercise in my gym which I have built in my house.

Last week I had a six-pack but after drinking eight pints of Guiness and eating a kebab, I woke up on sunday morning and the six-pack had gone ffs :emoticon-0121-angry

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

a rapid cardio workout is the only way I get a warm glow these days mate :)

8. Dorty Dogbreath

<laugh>

Nice one Albert.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  9. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Back to the gym myself after 6 months off with dodgy knees. I feel better, more energy and am getting back to where I was before.

10. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Already back to 30 mins, 3.1 miles. Gonna bump it up again tomorrow and work my way to 9 minute miles then so on. It's amazing how much progress has to do with pacing yourself and breathing, and also the right motivation.

J. J. McClure likes this.

11. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

This is interesting for me, you seem like you're enjoying it. That's my idea of hell for getting fit, I'm always amazed as to how people can do monotonous routines in the gym. Most people who I know who do endurance stuff hate it, but because it works for them, they just get on with it but you seem to be enjoying it.

It takes me 6 minutes on striking pads to burn what I could in 60 on a treadmill, my workouts are usually very short and intense, 25 minutes max unless I'm helping somebody else on the day.

Tip for you mate, if you want to take control of your breathing a short cut is to make sure you're getting the most out of your central and peripheral nervous systems, if the spine is happy, your breathing will improve tenfold. The best way to achieve this is through Yoga, ideally hot yoga such as Bikram.

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

I find treadmill running quite boring mate.
    You live on the coast so get yourself down to the front and take in the nice views.
    I swear blind you'll get a better PB outdoors than you will indoors.
    Plus the variable terrain is better on your joints. (not the smoking kind).

13. Darth Tash

I come up with little ways to make it fun. I have my kindle up with some home made or internet movies playing in front of me, with cool music or action scenes.

Don't know if you've heard of a game called mirrors edge, but I always like to think I'm preparing myself for a situation in which I need to be fit or quick to escape, or that zombie are chasing me, or that in a post apocalyptic situation I'll be able to survive.

I put mirrors edge speed run videos up on my kindle in front of me to concentrate on and to motivate.

I know it's daft but It helps to lose focus on the monotonous side and make it into a game. Plus I make sure to change it up each time, rather than just doing the same thing every couple of days and knowing what to expect.

The monotony, on top of people pushing themselves too hard or not enough, is why they give up in the long run.

I've just got myself a beast new treadmill, and can go different speeds, set goals,and it has loads of inclines and an MP3 docking system so I can blast music and video audio out of it.

Expensive at 700 quid but I don't often buy myself things so I thought I'd treat myself for being sensible with cash, and not be such a tight bastard lol.

14. Darth Tash

Also been doing some meditation that has helped me so much mentally. Mindfulness meditation.

15. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Get a squat rack mate. Nothing like it. Dead lifts and Squats. Can't beat them.

16. Darth Tash

Not much into bodybuilding brah. Might do some strength training some day, but not big on weights.

Cardio makes me feel great, weight training not so much.

17. Tel (they/them)

Fair play pal, you have a vivid imagination!

I've heard of the game.

A lot of it does come down to focus, people take caffeine based stimulants to increase focus, for lifters it stops their eyes wandering on their last 1/2 reps and helps them with their form etc. I can't take caffeine based supps though, they **** with my head too much as my thyroid's out.

A lot of barriers are created by the mind, whatever way you create to knock them down is up to you, I'll never mock anybody no matter how unorthodox their approach is. I've got a **** load of classical stuff on my ipod for the gym, when I'm going anaerobic there's nothing better for getting me in that zone.

Good luck with it all anyhow bud.

18. Tel (they/them)

Good old rack, stiffs followed by Zerchers and a pull up drop set, the mother of all finishers.

19. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

I prefer the Zercher to the cross armed squat mate that's for sure, the latter is one of those exercies I'm never that fond of doing.

No worries mate, each his own.

You mentioned you weren't a fan of caf,based products and I'm with you but sadly I'm abit of a caffeine junkie. I like a pre-workout, some haven't agreed with me. Mr Hyde is alright (I do find you have some bad crashes with it) Bullnox really had a bad effect on me - that stuff really didn't agree with me at all. I found C4 to be very effective. Only draw back is a slight tingling in the face but apart from that I would recommend it.

20. Dorty Dogbreath

When I'm on the rowing machine, I put the headphones on and listen to The Strokes :emoticon-0102-bigsm

: fat f**k
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.