1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This evening there was a huge number of cranes flying north in formation. A sure sign that winter is coming to and end and spring is just around the corner.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good morning all from a damp and cold Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day! <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

All seems very Buster Crabbe to me...

please log in to view this image

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all from a bright and breezy rural France. We still get advertising mail sent to us from England, usually after we have spent a few pounds with a company over there to buy something we cannot find here. What amazes me is the very few times that it is sent with the Royal Mail, and how often it has been through a mail system of another EU country.

5. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

OFH down here in Cadiz yesterday 4 days of rain came to an end and there is a feel of spring in the air. On our patio we keep seeing a chiff-chaff eating insects on the daisies and pinks - hope that is not a sign of a bad year for mozzies <grr><grr> but must be a sign of spring.

Sadly we are a little too far west to see the migration of your cranes and the other birds that cross the Straights of Gibraltar. Used to love watching the vultures 'tea trays in the sky' climb high on a thermal before launching their way across.

Anyway last night on Spanish TV I saw the destruction of Barca by PSG. And of course tonight on Spanish TV we have Real Madrid. If RM get turned over there certainly will be even more grumpy faces around here :emoticon-0106-cryin That means I'll have to stay in and stream the Arsenal game. Seems odd cheering on Arsenal after our glorious triumph just a short time ago ;)

But whatever game you all watch hope you enjoy it and then we can get back to real football at the Vic :emoticon-0152-heart

6. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Fires raging on the hills around Christchurch. Some friends have already been evacuated. We are alright at the moment apart from the smoke. We are about 8km from the nearest blaze but if the wind changes direction we could have a problem. Everything is so dry and our house is on the edge of a reserve.
    All our photos and back up hard drives are in bags by the front door in case we are told to get out. It is strange thinking about what to take of all the stuff we have accumulated over the years. One begins to realise how much of it is unnecessary.
    It will be dawn soon so the helicopters can start dumping water again. Fortunately for us the night has passed uneventfully. Not so for those few whose homes have gone.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Glad that you and the family are safe NZ and hope that the fire services can get things under control. Most years when I travel south there are signs of complete hillsides that have been ravaged by fire, the only good thing is how quickly the vegetation recovers.

8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Wishing you well and lots of luck NZ. I remember a very happy time in Christchurch arriving by train, a couple of days, then flying out to Queenstown. And calling back in before our flight back to blightie. But you seem to have suffered hard times in recent years with natural things (well I hope the fires are natural).

Any way just one thought, after family and pets of course, don't forget your Watford scarf :emoticon-0103-cool:

And may the rains come your way I see you have just a hope of a shower or two Friday/Saturday. <ale>.

9. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Thanks for your support. We will be fine. It is only stuff. I think that we will have to leave our hens if we go, though. They are not the most co-operative of birds at the best of times.
    KC, my Watford scarf is ready to be grabbed, if necessary. It was knitted by my grandmother when I was about 10!

andytoprankin and kchorn like this.
  10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Stay safe NZ - having done a bit of fire fighting for the Queensland Forestry, I know exactly how dangerous, unpredictable and frightening they can be. The thing that has stayed with me over the years is the noise - not the heat which is bad enough, nor the smell, which is reminiscent of my BBQs - just the terrifying noise, which was the last thing I expected.

kchorn likes this.

11. canary-dave

NZ, you can be sure you are in our thoughts and prayers. <ok>

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Not up yet dave? That's most unlike you...

13. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

NZ seen on the BBC. Looks bad. But now more rain forecasted Saturday and perhaps a little Friday. Every little helps I guess.
    although if the fire is close Saturday must seem a long way away.

So sad to lose a brave pilot but warming to see a facebook page offering rooms and houses to those evacuating. Keep safe my friend.

Sadly looks like the two fires that have joined up may have been intentional.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all, a slow steady start to the day as the hamstrings feel rather tight after several hours weeding yesterday.

It has been reported here over the years how young trainee firemen have started fires in the very dry areas of the south that have rapidly run out of control. Seems as if they get fed up sitting around and want to see a 'bit of action'.

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

16. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

I'm Namibia <laugh> Interesting as my drinking habits when in the UK are very different to here in Sherry country. Can understand why OFH you've slipped into typical France. I don't like the price but French wine, esp. Red is in general the best wine IMHO. That said never thought I'd be a sherry drinker but down here in Cadiz we have bars that give you a glass of Fino if you ask for a glass of dry white wine. They simply do not have white wine. But with practise I'm getting used to it. In truth a glass of very cold fino with a tapa of cheese and olives goes down very well. <cheers>

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Arrived in Orleans one Sunday evening hungry and thirsty after a long day driving. Being a Sunday evening the restaurant that I had been to before and had a super meal in was shut. All we could find open was a pizza place that was heaving with people. As there was no table available we were shown to a waiting area and provided with a free drink, in my case a beer. If you are thirsty a silly little 50cl glass is not going far, so I asked if I could a second one, which they provided with good grace. By the time a table became available the waiter was looking at my empty glass, and without asking fetched me a third one to have with my meal. I had to pay for that one, but an offer of buy one, get two free, is better than a Tesco promotion. :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

OFH doesn't sound very French to me. 3 beers!! I'm guessing closer to half pints than pints but possibly a little stronger than cooking bitter :emoticon-0125-mmm:

Here a beer is often a little less than half a pint which I find much easier to enjoy and control the pace. And as they say here any larger and it would be warm before you finished and with summer here that is not good.

Sadly never been offered 3 for the price of 1 :emoticon-0101-sadsm

19. canary-dave

Late to the party today, very early start and quite a busy day for an old 'un to cope with!

Hope your day has been good and NZ I hope you have stayed safe! <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  20. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Love the fino but manzanilla or dry amontillado are also very drinkable!