1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Morning all. Still here. It's a misty, damp morning, which will help the fire crews. Everyone seems more optimistic that no more houses will be lost. A neighbour, from Auckland, has described Christchurch as a bad disaster movie, which seems a good description.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I'm worse than a Moldovan apparently - will have to curb my spirits intake... :(

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

4. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Do you live in Cadiz? That is a nice part of Spain :)

5. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Mexican Hornet yes just 20 minutes across the bay from the city of Cadiz by ferry next to Puerto de Santa Maria. Just the other side of the river.

Yup we like it. Still suffering badly from unemployment but the people are great. And the local bar will try and get the Watford game on one of their 12 TVs if they can. Most of the neighbours and tourists here are spanish so I have to make an effort to support Sevilla and Cadiz. And I can be back at the Vic in 6 hours 30 mins door to door if the connections work well :emoticon-0140-rofl:

And strangely El Puerto has a very active rugby club so no problem with the 6 nations :grin:

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Nice enjoy,

I lived in Faro (Portugal) for a bit and used to drive over to Sevilla and Cadiz as they weren´t far for a visit.

Cordoba is worth a visit too, but not in the near 50 degree summer there!!

kchorn likes this.
  7. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day! <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Met some good friends for lunch today. We went to a small bar/cafe that did a two course meal for €9.90, so nothing posh, just good locally produced food in a typical small town. Plenty of the locals from the shops and offices were enjoying their lunch time break, chattering away and creating a lively atmosphere. It can be a bit of a pain when you first live here to find that the shop you want to buy something from is closed for a 2 hour break in the middle of the day, but you get used to it, and I would not want to stop the practice. I quite enjoy seeing people having a good time with friends.

kchorn likes this.
  9. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Looks like the worst is over for NZHorn. People returning to their homes. And there might even have been a shower. Some homes lost but hopefully NZ's scarf has been a good omen and his hens are clucking and not roasted.

OFH it is 3 or 4 hours here but as you say you get used to it. Went to pick up my bike today from the bicycle shop. His hours are:
    10:00h - 13:30h / 17:30 - 21:00 h SABADOS 10.30 - 13.30 h so a long day.

Interesting your 'El Menu' as we say. Here you normally get 3 courses but very small, plus a beer or coffee. But as you say you get a great atmosphere as well.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Certainly the further south you go, the lunch break lengthens. Down on the Med it is often 4 hours. Many of the restaurants here do three courses with just the one fixed menu, but today it was just the two, but a choice of three different dishes for each course. The fillet steak I had was of a similar size to the one we buy to eat at home, but then the two of us share it. A bottle of wine between the four of us was included in the price.
    Times are changing though. The large supermarkets are now open all day, and some of the DIY outlets. Many of the supermarkets now open for three hours on a Sunday morning. This started so that people could buy fresh bread, but there was nothing to stop them buying whatever. None of the smaller retailers open on a Sunday, and it seems surprising that people can manage to go for a day without shopping, something that is impossible in the UK.

11. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

canary-dave has left the building. But he will return. Sleep well all

canary-dave and andytoprankin like this.
  13. canary-dave

Good morning all from a mild and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day! <ok>

14. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

A real battle going on in the GT match. Sean cannot get a goal to put Lincoln down. Wonder who GT would want to win. Probably both <hug>

15. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Minutes away from the end of a nail biter and you hear "there is only one Graham Taylor" :emoticon-0142-happy

lincoln GOAL 0-1

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    ImpSaint likes this.
  16. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

FA Cup history once again. What a competition. 'We're going to Wembley' well not quite yet but what an achievement by Lincoln

canary-dave likes this.
  17. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

18. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Well a nice relaxing day with no Watford game (I reluctantly admit :emoticon-0103-cool:). Enjoyed watching bits and the final 20 mins of the Lincoln victory. Don't like to see SD defeated (apart from the obvious) but financially this must give security to Lincoln for a couple of years if not more.

And tomorrow my first game at the stadium with my local team Cadiz (3rd in the 2nd tier) against a middle of the table team Reus Deportiu. It was very sunny and 21C here today. I expect the same tomorrow. And they play in yellow <cheers>

Well I'm going to beat Canary-Dave to it tonight. Goodnight one and all. And hope you are all enjoying your weekend off (and that for the guys hope the wife hasn't demanded too much DIY). :emoticon-0113-sleep

AAAAaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he still beat me to it by seconds. I'll get you tomorrow Canary <doh>

canary-dave likes this.
  19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Not a good result for you today Dave. I hope it doesn't keep you awake.

20. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and dry Weston-super-Mare. OFH, I've followed the Canaries for nigh on 60 years, nothing they do can keep me awake ;)

Have a good day! <ok>