1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Jacks are staying up!

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, May 14, 2017.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Argue all you want , and I welcome and respect your post . But taking into account the injury aspect of what Clement had to deal with and dealing with 3 managers thoughts drilled into the players minds this season before he took over ...I easily see why he is up for manager of the season .

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

My debate wasn't based upon Clement not deserving of being in manager of the year contention. My debate was that clement being part of manager of the season meaning he did a better job/is better than Silva was used by you as an argument. Reason being, you have said Poch has done a better job/is better than Conte previously but if Conte is given manager of the year award, you wouldn't be thinking all of a sudden Conte is better than Pochy

3. seabreeze

Sorry bobby , I don't think I have said anything ever about Conte and Poch , but hey ... I'm sixty four going on sixty senile so you could be right :)

4. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

No manager should ever be considered for manager of the season if he has not been at the club from the very beginning......Mention the managers who came in and done well by all means but to get the top award is utter nonsense....

5. seabreeze

No comment :)

6. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

I'd say Clement (obviously biased), mainly because I, like many other jacks on here had us dead and buried by Christmas. In December we lost 5-0 to spurs, 3-1 to wba, 4-1 At home to West ham and 3-0 At home to Bournemouth. If that's not a sinking ship I don't know what is.
    We were bottom of the table with 12 points in 19 games. Regardless of the quality of the squad, that's a bloody tough position to come back from for any manager.
    Clement has his faults, although he seems to have corrected them lately, but then so does Silva, why he persists with zonal marking after conceding from so many set pieces is beyond me.

7. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

8. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Hull City supporter of many years having seen us play against each other in all 4 divisions . Anyway , gutted that we have not managed to battle till the final day , but well done for staying up . It would have been nice if Palace had gone down .Think the important day for us both was when you played Stoke and the penalty was missed , who knows what would have happened if you had dropped points that day leaving us at least 4 points clear . I was at Selhurst on Sunday to see another relagation , but City will always be my team . Good luck for next season

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing, what a great time to come home. Left for some winter sun with nothing but doom and gloom on the horizon. Last game I saw here was West Ham when it looked like there was no way back.

No internet where I've been so relying on word of mouth for news and it didn't sound good. Landed back in Germany the first chance I got to check the internet I almost exploded, we had a chance but we had to beat Everton and the rest is an excited blur.

Managed to watch both the Everton and Sunderland games over there. Never been so nervous watching sport in my life, tbh I was scared stiff and sat with my back to the TV for most of the second half of both games, I was too frightened to watch, what a wimp.

So what was it like for you guys being here all the way through

seabreeze and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  10. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Welcome back Stumpy.

Never had any doubt we'd stay up..... <whistle>

seabreeze and Stumpy like this.

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Cheers Taff,

Its like I've missed first few episodes of season two of some hell for leather TV show where season one ended in the cliffhanger of the century when the world was about to explode then ......... everything is peachy, there's a rainbow arching the sky announcing an end to the storm as our hero fades into a sunset with that beautiful Russian spy hanging off his shoulder, happy dayz <ok>

12. seabreeze

Ya right ...lol

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  13. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

We got lucky at the right time...dont underestimate that fact because most of us were expecting us to go down if you look at the comments when we were 2 points behind......

Stumpy likes this.
  14. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Still can't believe Sunderland beat Hull because all I saw up against us at the Stadium of Light was a Shower of Sh*te. We did get lucky there Dai.

On the whole though, its lucky we got lucky coz for most of the season all the luck we had was bad luck. It felt like we were cursed with the number of injuries we were picking up, pathetic refereeing decisions going against us, conceding impossible home goals, stupid goals and deflections, making so many schoolboy errors in defense, putting up with Bradley's pic'n'mix selection policy and EASports inspired tactics. While at the other end I lost count the number of times we hit wood. Under bewildered Bob conceded 3 goals against Arsenal, 3 against Stoke, 3 against Man U, 4 against Palace, 5 against Spurs, 3 against WBA, 3 against Boro and 3 against West Ham. How the hell did we survive?

In the end our whole season came down to its last five games. With 5 games to go it seemed inevitable that we would be relegated but, under immense pressure the players earned their corn, kept their composure and won 3 from 4 games, with the other an improbable and unlucky draw against the uber luck Man Utd. Its 10 pts from 12, that's kept us up not luck imo. Win against WBA and we could end up in 15th place.Who thought that when Bradley was moaning about PKs.

For me, on the pitch, all is forgiven but off it there's a lot of healing to be done and it starts this summer.

Just my opinion but I believe we don't need to go mad in the transfer market. We have some good players here who've shown they can perform with a gun to their head so no need to go gung ho and change the squad. Add a RB, CB (John Terry only as a coach), Striker/AM, a winger and that will do for a me. If Loriente and Siggy go that's a different story but I'm hoping they wont; has to be cheaper for us to ensure they stay here. I'd also stick a banger up Borjas arse but keep him here. I still think there's a footballer in there waiting to be coaxed out to play.

Free up space by letting a few players go, don't want to name any other than Gomis, and we'll be in reasonable shape for next year.

Its over to you Jenkins, time to match the team and earn your bling. Never forget, we're watching you boy :emoticon-0112-wonde

please log in to view this image

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    DragonPhilljack likes this.
  15. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

As Gary Player said the harder I practice the luckier I get :)