1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Lads

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

What do we think?

As a reminder I will post their names (which I have had to google as they seem instantly forgettable)

Striker: Kieffer Moore (No League) / Dominic Samuel (Loan)
    Midfield: Toumani Diagouraga (Loan) / Danny Rowe (Non League) / Emyr Huws (Loan)
    Defence: Jordan Spence (Free) / Steven Taylor (Free)

2 signings involving a transfer fee, both from non league (and believed to total 110k)
    The 2 loan signings on deadline day smack of panic and desperation to bring some bodies in, though Huws was highly rated at one stage, though expect him to be bang average and go elsewhere in the summer.

We have been operating in the same way since Jim was in charge, we buy a whole host of players in the hope that they come good, which they very rarely do. We haven't signed many 'upgrades' in the last decade!

The whole policy is completely backwards, we must have wasted so much money of bang average players who we offload 12 months later. Remember Henshall, Bajner, Nouble (and they are just 3 of Mick's signings) there are dozens more from the Jewell and Keane eras.

Until we actually show some intent in the transfer market we will continue to bumble along in the lower mid table region and eventually get sucked into another relegation scrap..

Rant over..

fieldmarshall likes this.
  2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Christ, it doesn't look any better when they're all written down and together, does it?

In terms of areas, I think the defenders will probably do the best. I think Steven Taylor is a low-risk transfer, who should provide some much needed composure and experience at the back. Of course, it all depends on whether he can overcome the injury problems that have severely affected his career. Jordan Spence is a decent squad player, not much more, although it is troubling to see that he is currently ahead of Emmanuel in the pecking order.

The midfielders do not fill with me any optimism. Danny Rowe is an interesting buy, but will he make the jump up the divisions? Diagouraga should provide a much-needed physical presence in the middle, but I can't see him rectifying the absence of creativity that we have in midfield. He seems like a more physical Douglas, so a midfield duo of Skuse and Diagouraga isn't really a step forward or a notable upgrade, in my opinion.

The two lads we signed on loan yesterday, Huws and Samuel, are panic buys. They are cast-offs for teams in the same division as us and, in the case of Cardiff, a similar position. So I'm not expecting much from those. The concern again is that they are impeding progress from one of our youth players on breaking in the team. Goes against Evans' five point plan rubbish that was published a few weeks ago.

Moore up front could be what we need, if we decide to actually play a system and revert to a long ball game that, while dour and unpleasant on the eyes, does win us points. But he is a Murphy-lite player who we signed from a non league club. No proven experience at this level.

In short, one of the most disappointing transfer windows in recent memory. We've seemed to opt for quantity over quality, and by spending as little money as possible. None of those players cost much in wages, you'd imagine.