1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Not606 All Time Saints XI (Manager)

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jul 2, 2015.

?

Who would you like to manage the Saints all time XI?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2015.
  1. Glenn Hoddle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alan Ball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chris Nicholl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ronald Koeman

3.4%
  5. Wee Gordon Strachan

15.5%
  6. Big Lawrie McMenemy

62.1%
  7. Mauricio Pochettino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Nigel Adkins

13.8%
  9. Ted Bates

5.2%
  10. Alan Pardew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I've said my piece Tom and you've shown your attitude and disrespect for our clubs past.

I'm done.

ChilcoSaint and lewebster like this.
  2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So I disrespect the past because I'd rather focus on the present and the future. IMO the present and the future are more important than the past. If that's disrespecting the past then I'm a Pompey fan. <doh>

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I voted Lawrie and I'm a 90s baby.

Clearly our best, I'd say. And having met him, and interviewed him, what a wonderful chap he is too. Top man.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  4. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

It's a good team, but if they were up against.....

Shilton
    Clyne, Nicoll, Waldron Holmes
    Oxlade Chamberlin, Williams, Case, Bale.
    Keegan, Davies

Tricky, isn't it..

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I know a fair bit thanks.

We're voting who we think is our best GK/RB/whatever. Personally, I find it hard to vote for someone I've never seen. Yes, McMenemy did well, not just well, but superbly brilliantly well, and is one of the best managers our club has ever had, but we're voting for our personal favourites, and who we think is best, personally, and for me, it's Nigel. That's no disrespect to McMenemeny, and what he did for the club, just a personal preference more than anything.

6. fatletiss

No we're not. It is about the best, not favourites- that's the point. If it had been about choosing favourites, I wouldn't have made my comments.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, and I'm voting for the best based on what I have witnessed. I don't see the issue with this.

8. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Can only be Lawrie for me.

Agree with this whole heartedly, I got into football big time at the end of the Branfoot Era, Alan Ball cemented that for me and has always held a big space in my heart. I missed the Lawrie era but I have most of the saints books and know what that man did for us was amazing.

I too am disappointed that some posters don't read up on the history. Maybe one day some of you will feel the same when your kids don't give a **** about your stories of Rickie Lambert!

I think Strachan was a quality manager, as was Adkins, as is Koeman but to pick any of them over Lawrie McMenemy is in my opinion crazy.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  9. Philboyersboots

How about choosing a best South American eleven. Would Pele get in the team, or Maradona? On some peoples assumptions probably not.,but most of the free world would pick them.
    Opinions are what they are,and they will differ.we should be choosing on what we know,through our own eyes and what we have been told or through the history books .all we can do is vote on that knowledge.
    I heard Stanley Mathews and Billy Wright were good were good in their days and would get in their respective clubs best players even though most of their fans would not have seen them.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  10. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it's wrong to expect people to vote for players/managers of an era which that person did not experience. It's only fair and natural, and completely understandable in my book, that many would vote only for players/manager who they personally have first hand experience of. As opposed to basing their opinion on third hand information, which they have read or been told.

At the same time though, is it right to let just anyone vote for these sorts of things. Or should it really only be limited to those people who are old enough to have enough first hand experience to put forward a truly well informed vote?

OddRiverOakWizards and tomw24 like this.

11. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

The only thing we learn from
    History, is that we never learn from history

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I can kind of see both sides of the argument - even I was too young to have experienced Lawrie's management at a conscious level. However we're meant to be voting on the best Saints manager/players etc and so therefore a little bit of care and historical research should be a necessity here - as Phil says above, you'd all stick Maradona and Pele in a team. Voting for Nigel is a clear vote for favourite over best, which kinda kills the idea of it. Unless it was changed to "best in my lifetime", which is an entirely different thing again.

Tom, saying you look to the future is a little irrelevant in this discussion, unless you can tell us who our best striker is going to be in five years time!

lewebster likes this.
  13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

A few of us have mentioned in the various voting threads about how we favour players from our youth, when our football watching was far less critical.
    Plus we all have different opinions on footballers. I will always prefer a skillful/flare player over an all action style player. e.g Messi over Ronaldo.

Think two one hundred year old fans would have different teams

14. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I completely understand what you're saying but essentially, you ask me who the best Saints manager ever is, I'm going to say Gordon Strachen. I'm not going to get the history books and do research.

15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I accept the "have to see them" point on players and have generally voted that way throughout this but I don't really get what possible difference seeing a manager makes?

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Then you're not voting on the best Saints manager EVER are you?

17. fatletiss

I'm not asking you to do that, I'm actually expecting you to already know a lot of that. Maybe that's the difference, those fans that are saying similar to this just don't know about the clubs history.

I was a fan from 1975 (5 years old) onwards really, but I know all about Ted Bates, I know all about Terry Paine, Ron Davies (except in that quiz and I thought we signed him from Luton) Jimmy Melia, Martin Chivers, Peter Rodrigues, Jim Steele, Alf Ramsey, etc, etc.

This isn't a dig, but maybe I'm more fanatical about the club. Not everyone is like that, but someone asks me who the best of something is, I'm going to think about who that could be, hence I voted Terry Paine and nearly voted Ted Bates, but Lawrie won something, runner up in another cup and the league.

18. lewebster

If you genuinely think Strachan then good on you but surely if you are a fan you wouldn't need to get the history books out to read about Bates and Lawrie etc? I don't claim to know every player/manager ever but the key men should be a given really. Like I said some of you will be disappointed when years from now your kids are saying I don't care dad, I only care about the present and the future!

19. lewebster

Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work and sparking for the most part a great debate that has brought back many memories.

Just a quick request and I am unsure how time consuming this will be. Can you post a new thread detailing who voted which players etc? I think it would be interesting to see what teams posters picked, who picked every single winner, who picked no winners etc.

20. fatletiss

You can check yourself. If you look on the votes, and click the number of votes by a player, it will open up and tell you who voted for that player.

Before you do though I just need to change mine from Steve Wigley to Lawrie Mac.