1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Viewed a flat in north London earlier this week. The landlord chose to go with a different tenant (okay, fair enough...), but then decided to send me a text later on to say that they're an Arsenal fan and they'd be more than happy to use my season tickets at the Emirates.

Erm, not entirely sure that's how it works... <laugh>

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yes. Where's the plus in all that for you.? :)

3. TheSecondStain

Just finished watching a teen time-travel film called Project Almanac [2015]. It's a definite once-only watch, but it was fair. It's rare enough to have a time-travel film in itself. It's another that the film's main theme is the whole key to the adventure, as opposed to something where the whole plot is in a different time zone only for it to end with the traveller returning to the present and end of film. Here, the time travelling is back and forth and that's the plot. Our protagonists [it's an ensemble cast] discover an oddity of the very smart lead teenager, David, being in his own birthday video from his pre-teen days. In the video, they watch his older self being reflected in a mirror, while his younger self celebrates with his young friends. And so the adventure starts. The teenage friends find clues and then plans to build a time machine, and after building it they use it to go back and right wrongs in their lives. This inevitably screws up the time-line eventually, and they have to sort that out too.

There's an evolution of that Blair Witch Project hand-held style of camera work, which is often annoying, and it does detract from the story, but it also adds to the tension. The cast act their egg-shell confident teenage parts rather well and the plot swings along at a pace. It's intriguing, but limited, and before halfway through one knows this. But it's a bit of fun for 100 minutes.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

How disappointing. Haven't had Roses chocolate for a while, but was given a box for my birthday. Packaging changed...okay, can live with that, but they no longer taste of Cadburys chocolate. They are bland, scarcely tasting of chocolate at all. Will never buy them again.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Cheeky bleeder

7. fatletiss

Loved the way that ended.... although I was showing it to my son as I watched it and wasn't quite expecting that line being the Prince bit :eek:

8. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

No Dave too bloody sensible!

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Oops! Sorry!!

Yeah it takes a little while to get going but the energy toward the end is great.

fatletiss likes this.
  10. fatletiss

Spot on description. From halfway in it was excellent.

It's about time the lad new what a SMF is anyway :) .... I'll just need to introduce you to his mum!! We are planning a day down in Brighton in a couple of weeks, when the kids are away; I'll let you meet and explain to her then <laugh>

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    davecg69 likes this.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, be great to see you! Let me know.

12. fatletiss

This has been the kids holiday amusement...

Kleiner hai meaning little shark. There are also remix versions available on you tube. Very, very stupid.

13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

14. TheSecondStain

Bought by Kraft, then sold on, [to a company called Mondelez International] IIRC. The thing happened that every one predicted would happen. The quality went through the floor.

ImpSaint likes this.
  15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Meanwhile hundreds of workers at the Somerdale factory at Keynsham were laid off, which Kraft promised wouldn't happen.

16. TheSecondStain

Yep. They also said the recipes wouldn't change and the quality wouldn't be affected. That promise lasted 5 minutes too.

They say one should embrace change. Part of the reason why some people aren't as happy as they can be is because they can't embrace changes. But what's the point of embracing change when bitter experience tells you a particular change is almost certainly wrong. As in this change. Cadburys was a company which wasn't broke and didn't need fixing. But they did it anyway. And the result was unemployment. A changed community, and a company whose reputation continues to go downhill. So what actual good came of it.?

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Those people more in tune with the rules of capitalism than me will no doubt tell you that businesses have to keep expanding to stay healthy. The irony with Cadbury's was that they ate up their smaller British competitors, including Fry's (the original inhabitants of Somerdale) but ran out of firms they could afford to take over, so were gobbled up by Kraft, who were then consumed themselves. None of this makes any sense to me, but then why should it? Madness, by definition, doesn't make sense.

tiggermaster and ImpSaint like this.
  18. TheSecondStain

This is why I, and no doubt yourself, cannot understand why a better world than capitalism hasn't yet evolved. Business should be the tool and trade of the people, where everyone is able to prosper. Yet, ultimately, only the few do.

ImpSaint likes this.
  19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A hot air balloon crashes in Texas, killing all 16 on board. :(

20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Apparently 50,000 people in a pro Erdogan protest in Cologne today. Mad