1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic the old man of the sea

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Jun 29, 2015.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Well, are there any yachting people out there?
    I have been sea fishing in a fairly large boat, and a small boat 3metres in flat calm and OK time to return as these 3metre high waves and rolling swell might become a problem.....

So yachting..."how would you like to go to the channel islands on a yacht?" seemed a good idea a 60 hour adventure ! I ve never been on 9metre yacht...

I NOW know a little about sailing...jiving, tacking, into the wind, close to the wind and goose winging etc etc we managed to get 1/3rd of the way there, before the swell and conditions took us just 18 miles in over 5 hours, 7 miles short of the target, we got back to Lulworth about 6am ( just 4 hours back ) had a kip and spent the rest of the day being taught the rudimentaries, and again after a lazy Sunday morning another 4 hours worth where we managed a top speed of 9 knots ! and some pretty interesting tilts toward the waves where the person opposite was about 3 foot lower than I was.... and the water skimmed along the edge of the deck...gulp!

Fantastic and fun ............if you haven't try it some time..

SEA SICK ...yep after 5 hours I did manage to honk up less than a tablespoon full.... damn chilli con carne!

What was it in aid of? Next year this boat is going around GB coastline in aid of Action For Children, there is likely to be 10 legs and for a small charge you can have a go, not sure of details as yet but works out at £15? a day or so ( minimum £100 ! ) donations can be made as well, I am planning on a few days! maybe a week? or a couple of goes if space!